PDA

View Full Version : To repair an L100T or buy new speakers?

M&M
10-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Hello!
I have a pair of L100t speakers for a while that needed some love if I am too continue using them as front mains with my AVR. As seen in the pictures, the drivers need new foam surrounds. They still function. The mid speakers are seemingly perfect, the compliance on them is totally intact and rigid

I had been driving them with a 75W / ch Dennon which I am now thinking to upgrade to the Dennon AVR-x30000 (105W / Ch) or 40000 ( 125 W/Ch).

I guess my question is should I fix the drivers, and how much would that cost? I am considering some klipsch RF-62ii as main replacements...

Thanks so much!
M & M

kippers
10-27-2014, 02:17 PM
I'd go for a refoam kit because I've never done one and should be a lot cheaper than new speakers!
Just need to take the woofers out, get the model number and google for refoam kit, and get one that comes with the proper glue.
Your speakers look in great condition, so would be well worth doing if you were happy with the sound.

Odd
10-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Resurround Step-by-step (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?469-Resurround-Step-by-step&highlight=stepbystep)

Driver, 2214H

hjames
10-27-2014, 03:01 PM
Absolutely redo the surrounds! They look to be in fantastic condition, and are def a pair of main speakers worth keeping.

I've redone 2 pairs of those using surrounds from Rick Cobb -
[email protected]

he's the go to guy for a bunch of us on the lansing list!
be sure to order before it gets much colder -
he doesn't like to ship in winter in case the glue he includes could freeze on the doorstep!

grumpy
10-27-2014, 03:05 PM
If not comfortable with a DIY refoam, there are shops that will do the same
(some better, some not better). A little over $20 if you do it yourself (messy, but not insanely hard)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEST-Speaker-Foam-Surround-Kit-for-JBL-2214H-2214H1-2203A-2203H-121A-H-124A-H-/171251190397?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item27df5dca7d

Quite a bit more if you have someone else (who should know what they're doing) repair them.

There is at least one walkthrough of the process on this site somewhere...

Failing that, there is the option of having them reconed (new surround/cone/spider/voicecoil),
but at substantially more cost (something like $200/ea, installed), and not normally available
to the DIY crowd (but you get a warranty).

Definitely worth fixing. Even if you went for the recone, you're not going to find new $400
speakers that touch these.

Odd
10-27-2014, 03:58 PM
grumpy

Good you add a lot of good and complementary informative text. I do not have your vocabulary in English.

Odd

BMWCCA
10-27-2014, 04:27 PM
Let us know where you are in California and I'm sure someone can recommend someone competent to do the re-surround work for you at a reasonable price and likely nearby.

How far away are you from our favorite repair guy and member here? http://www.uplandloudspeaker.com/

Well worth the effort and cost.

And welcome to the forum, too!

:cheers:

grumpy
10-27-2014, 06:40 PM
Odd... I guarantee your English is better than my Norwegian :D