PDA

View Full Version : Size of mounting screws for all L250 drivers?

Doc Mark
10-22-2014, 06:33 PM
Greetings, All,

Does anyone have a list of the screw sizes of the L250 drivers? I could do a "hunt and peck" from tons of loose screws, but would rather just go buy new ones, and blue them if needed. Thanks for any info you an share, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

rdgrimes
10-22-2014, 08:19 PM
standard 8x32 and 10x32 machine screws

Doc Mark
10-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Good Evening RDGrimes,

Perfect! Thank you, very much, Sir!! I'll pay a visit the our local Ace Hardware store, and procure some new screws tomorrow. Though I won't be working on these L250's for a while, yet, I think the drivers would be safer from harm if they were mounted in the cabinets. Thank you, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

rdgrimes
10-23-2014, 05:01 AM
Forgot to mention that the 044-1 needs MDF screws, coarse thread #8 or 7, maybe 3/4 or 1".

Also might want to pick up a few t-nuts. If any of those are loose they should be replaced.

Doc Mark
10-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Morning, rdgrimes,

Thanks, again! I just noticed that the frames on the 108H drivers are tapped. I can't recall having seen that before. Is it normal for that driver? I'll pick up the proper hardware today, and then mount the drivers in their places on the L250 cabs. I also need to solder the speaker wires back onto the crossover, as Grumpy and Doug removed them for the quad-amp testing on this system. Grumpy has kindly offered his help in doing that, but I finally made some sense of the schematic last night, and might have figured it all out. I'll have to separate the top board of each crossover, in order to do a good job in soldering in the leads, and will get to that soon. I would LOVE to have the proper woofers, too, but right now, due to a financial commitment, I cannot afford to pick them up until year's end. But, they are being held, safe and sound, and will be ready for shipment, when I get a bit more coin together!!! Fun, fun, fun!! Thanks, again, for your help, and as always, God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

rdgrimes
10-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Morning, rdgrimes,

Thanks, again! I just noticed that the frames on the 108H drivers are tapped. I can't recall having seen that before. Is it normal for that driver?

Its been too long since I pulled one of those 108H. But I can tell you its a pocket head 8x32 machine screw, about 1-1/2". Pocket heads are hard to find, but you'll find the same screw in many JBL woofers (with varying lengths). You're more likely to find them now days with hex or square driver heads.

Doc Mark
10-23-2014, 11:28 AM
Hi, rdgrimes,

Thanks for the additional info. I'll be heading down to the Village in a few hours, and will see what our local Ace has to offer. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc Mark
10-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Good Evening, rdgrimes, and All,

Well, I guess my L250 cabs are somewhat of an anomaly. As it turned out, the 14" and 8" both used 10x32 machine screws, and I ended up getting hex head screws as everything else that Ace had looked hokey. The 5" driver required 6x32 hex head machine screws, as the 8x32 screws were too large. Interesting, that's for sure. I got enough screws to mount the 5" drivers, but got them a tad too long and will exchange them tomorrow, or soon thereafter, for shorter ones. Ace did not have any MDF coarse thread screws, unfortunately, and so I'll wait and pick some up at another place, later. At least, I can now mount two drivers in each cab, but the tweeter will have to wait, and even though I have the proper screws for the woofers, I only have one LE14A, which will end up just "plugging a hole" until the LE14H-3's come to live with us. In any case, a little progress was made, and I thank you, Rd, for your help with what I needed. Take care, and have a good evening. God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

JeffW
10-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Be advised that the frame on the LE14H-3 is quite a bit thicker than the other LE14 varieties, so the screws have to be a little longer to work.

rdgrimes
10-23-2014, 08:34 PM
Are people using the LE14H-3 without the trim rings (like on a PS1400)? I wondered because the trim ring is actually a mounting clamp offering an additional 4 bolts. (8 total)

Doc Mark
10-23-2014, 09:45 PM
Hey, JeffW and rdgrimes,

I actually got the woofer screws a bit the long side, just in case it was needed. So, I'm thinking there won't be any problems there. The 8" screws are just a tad too long, as well, but again, that's not really a problem. However, the 5" driver screws are about an half inch too long, and unfortunately, bottom-out on the non-threaded part of the screw. Those are the ones that I'll swap for shorter screws. I believe 3/4" screws will do nicely for the 5" driver, and the
1 1/2" screws I got are just too long. Thanks, to you both, for your comments and suggestions. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc