PDA

View Full Version : Primus and the Chocolate Factory

oldsoundz
10-18-2014, 10:37 AM
Certainly not for everyone but...

Primus' Willy Wonka-inspired Primus and the Chocolate Factory With the Fungi Ensemble is out on October 21st, and mixed in with all the chocolate-colored records are five golden vinyl. Like the golden tickets in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, stumbling upon the golden vinyl comes with a great reward: Free Primus concert tickets for life. In this video that pays homage to the film's opening credits, we watch as the records are formed, trimmed and printed while Les Claypool and company's rendition of "Golden Ticket" bounces along.

Primus and the Chocolate Factory With the Fungi Ensemble is the first Primus LP to feature the band's classic lineup – Claypool, guitarist Larry LaLonde and drummer Tim "Herb" Alexander – since 1995's Tales From the Punchbowl. Primus initially covered the Willy Wonka soundtrack this past New Year's Eve at an Oakland, California concert; that show also featured the sale of Primus candy bars.

As for why Claypool decided to tackle the film's soundtrack, he told Rolling Stone, "We need to make sure that kids in the future watch the original Willy Wonka and not the horrendous, horrible remake that came along and left the taste of feces in our mouths." Listen to Primus' rendition of "Pure Imagination" here.

Describing Primus' version of Willy Wonka, Claypool said, "As we started putting it together, especially with the expanded soundscape of having string and vibraphone and marimba, it started sounding to me like one of the early Peter Gabriel records meets Dark Side of the Moon meets the Residents. That's what I get out of it. Obviously that's some big-ass horn-tooting to be doing."

Primus kick off their Chocolate Factory tour October 22nd in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania. The trek runs through January 3rd and includes another New Years' Eve extravaganza in Oakland, which five lucky fans can attend for free if they track down the golden vinyl.

I've hear it and love it. It should be great for scaring the kiddies this Halloween.