PDA

View Full Version : 4425 Studio Monitor

Peter Meyer
10-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Hi Dudes,

greetings to everybody from the Bavarian Alps.
I´ve learnd a lot over here, reading the last few weeks every evening your posts.

I got a problem with my 4425.

I´ve built 4425s in 1989. But it was right after school, so I didn´t have enough money.
Instead of the JBL crossover and the JBL Horn I took Titanium Stuff by Visaton Germany.
A few weeks ago, after 25 years, I´ve bought the original stuff.
But the 3 peaces of 2416H, that I´ve bought, all sound muffled, compared to the Titanium Drivers from Visaton.

Could it be, that all three used 2416H are done?

They sound totally dull, or muffled, compared to the old German stuff.

Please help me.

I was so happy to go original after 25years, but it sounds bad.

Thanks.

rdgrimes
10-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Using an original crossover, or what? Crossovers need to be designed for the driver in use.

BMWCCA
10-06-2014, 05:42 PM
If you're using the correct crossovers and the drivers are working as designed, perhaps your ears (and brain) have just become adjusted to the more shrill nature of the titanium over the last quarter century and will have to adjust to the "new normal". :dont-know:

frank23
10-07-2014, 12:08 AM
I have a complete set of original 4425 crossovers with level controls, compression drivers and horns that I have never used. I don't have the bass drivers.

Let me know if you're interested in buying these.

Jonis
10-07-2014, 04:18 AM
Peter,

I'm not sure about the 2416's but the 2425's in my 4430's have a foam insert in between the diaphragm and the removable cover. This is used to provide a small measure of dampening but after years the foam turns to a somewhat liquid state and will mess everything up. This would be the first thing I would look for in troubleshooting your system.