PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Identification Help Please 3 old Altec Lansing Speakers

eddiemol
10-04-2014, 10:28 PM
Hello and thank you for your time. I'm an old tennis player living in Redding and buy all kinds of stuff. I recently found these 3 Altec Lansing speakers and my research tells my that they might be pretty old and pretty nice. I am sorry but I only know what I have learned today about vintage speakers. Any help or information would be much appreciated. Thanks again. :confused:

BMWCCA
10-04-2014, 10:45 PM
Were there supposed to be pictures of these speakers?
:useless:

eddiemol
10-04-2014, 11:06 PM
It took me a while to figure it out but I think there are pictures now.

BMWCCA
10-05-2014, 06:14 AM
The corner unit looks to be a 606A cabinet, maybe with a 605/5 inside?

Check this thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?23762-Value-of-Altec-606

The pair must be some form of A7 "Voice of the Theater", maybe A7-500? :dont-know:

martin2395
10-05-2014, 08:12 AM
I've already seen that kind of A7, they were described as Altec 828

Check out this thread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=290680

eddiemol
10-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Thank you for the replies. I was close on the big pair but the corner speaker had me stumped. I picked these up from the original owner's estate. They were all 3 connected and set up in surround sound style and still hooked up. I played "Paint It Black" through them on a nice old turn table that was still there and it was amazing. I couldn't help but shake the walls a bit. I don't know much, but I bought them on the spot.

Horn Fanatic
10-05-2014, 03:52 PM
Hello and thank you for your time. I'm an old tennis player living in Redding and buy all kinds of stuff. I recently found these 3 Altec Lansing speakers and my research tells my that they might be pretty old and pretty nice. I am sorry but I only know what I have learned today about vintage speakers. Any help or information would be much appreciated. Thanks again. :confused:

The "606" enclosure may or not be original. The decal's on the old enclosures were not a single piece, but several that were shabbily applied at the factory. I have seen those for sale on Ebay. There also appears to be gaps in the miter joints of the grille frame. It may be the lighting, or it may be left over stain or pigment from the original finish. If it is original, it definitely shows signs of a refin.

The A7 enclosure appears to be an early model Magnificent missing the stamped Masonite grille.

http://www.kogerer.ru/subj/amagn.html

H.F.

Steve Schell
10-05-2014, 10:14 PM
To me they all look like home built cabinets, commonly found as the plans were widely available. The single is a 606, a corner reflex cabinet of 12 or so cubic feet that provides a very good load for a Duplex speaker. It probably contains some version of a 604 or 605. I once had a pair of homebrewed 606s with sand filled walls and they were pretty neat. The other pair is a home made pair of A7-500 Voice of the Theatre, pretty good performance yet with surprisingly little low bass for their substantial size.