PDA

View Full Version : L150A vs L220

andyprice44
09-18-2014, 07:19 PM
Hello,

I am hoping you guys might be able to help me. I am wanting to upgrade to a larger floor standing model. I currently own a very nice pair of L112. I really enjoy these speakers and I am wanting to move up the JBL chain. In the future, I hope to purchase a mint pair of 4343. I can't go for those right now but in the mean time, I would like to take a step up from the L112. I have read that the L150A is basically a floor standing L112 with a passive radiator. Are the crossovers of the L112 and L150A the same? I know the drivers are the same except for the added radiator on the L150A. Another speaker that interest me is the L220. Does the L220 outperform the L150A? I can get either pair for roughly the same money. Which would you guys prefer? I really appreciate any thoughts.

Andy

rdgrimes
09-18-2014, 08:09 PM
Are the crossovers of the L112 and L150A the same?

The L96, L112 and L150A all use the same identical crossover.

Personally I wouldn't suggest moving from the L112 to L150A unless you have a pretty large room that tends to swallow the L112. In a smaller room the L150A can be pretty overwhelming in the low end.

I like your taste in speakers, but frankly in that line the next step up the food chain is the L250/250ti. Again needing a larger room.

FWIW, you might find that feeding the L112 a BUNCH more watts will give them new life and generate a new level of respect.

grumpy
09-18-2014, 08:50 PM
:) We all have different experiences.

My take on the L112->L150a diff is the L112
can seem like it has more bass but doesn't play
as low as the L150a. I prefer the latter, but really
liked the L112 with subs added (which) rolled off
the sometimes boomy L112 bass and solidified
the low end even better than the L150a.

L220/222?

I've not heard them as asystem, only individual parts...
all of which can play nice. You may like them, you will
see, try them and you may, I say...
(Seriously, try to hear them both first, if possible).

The visuals are certainly more interesting with the
L220/2 and the tweeter doesn't have a deteriorating
foam problem.

wpod
09-19-2014, 05:13 AM
we are talking about , I'd opt for the L220. You state "I can get either pair for roughly the same money." I commonly see the L150 selling in the $900.00 or so range where as the L220 almost always sells for over twice that, sometimes over $2000.00. Based on these figures, if you can get a pair of L220 for a grand or less, go for it! But if we're talking the other end of the spectrum, definately do not spend two grand on a pair of L150A, I've sometimes seen them as low as $500.00- $600.00. And another thing, I don't own either pair, but two friends of mine each own the speakers under discussion, and I have listened to both for quite a few years, and I definately prefer the L220. Your mileage may vary! Good Luck! PS- ever consider looking for a pair of L300? , Paul

andyprice44
09-19-2014, 06:18 AM
When I said almost the same money, that wasn't quite correct. The L150a are mint shape and are $1050. The L220 are mint shape and are $1800. They are both under 2k though. I have considered the L300 but, I usually see those sell for 4-5k. Almost twice the price of the L220. If I were going to spend that amount, I would just go ahead and buy the 4343. I have always wanted a pair of the big 4-ways. I wish I could sit down and do a side by side comparison of the L300 and the 4343. I wonder how those models would compare to each other. Both models seem to be available at the same 4-5k price point. Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

Can anyone list the common drivers the L220 and L150A share? I know the tweeter is different. Do both models have the same midrange and subwoofers?

Odd
09-19-2014, 07:03 AM
L220 and L150A

grumpy
09-19-2014, 09:32 AM
No.

the mid is similar, but not the same (audio-wise)... although they look almost identical

wpod
09-19-2014, 09:42 AM
Where are you located ? , depending on where you are, I would let you do a side by side comparison between the L-300 and 4343. I'm sure that there are other members here that also own these two beasts that would allow you a listen. It's all about sharing the nirvana! Thanks, Paul

SEAWOLF97
09-19-2014, 10:03 AM
When I said almost the same money, that wasn't quite correct. The L150a are mint shape and are $1050. The L220 are mint shape and are $1800. They are both under 2k though.

IF I was making that choice ..... L250's can sometimes be had in the $1000+ range, 250Ti's are often in the sub 2K range too.

I like your taste in speakers, but frankly in that line the next step up the food chain is the L250/250ti. Again needing a larger room.

don't really agree ...my 250Ti's are in a standard 1959 living room and sound great

Do both models have the same midrange and subwoofers?

subwoofers is not what they really have.

Odd
09-19-2014, 11:01 AM
Subwoofers no, passive radiators.

Sorry bad picture, hope it can be read.

More on passive radiators

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?705-tuning-passive-radiators

andyprice44
09-20-2014, 03:41 PM
I am in south central kentucky. It looks like you are in Rhode island from your sig. I wish I lived close enough to drive to check those out. Hell, I would pay an admission fee to be able to A/B both the L300 and 4343. The 4343 or 4350 is my dream speaker. I know I wouldn't have room for the 4350 in my house but, I would be able to fit a pair of 4343. It might be 20 years from now but, one day I will have some.

Wpod, since you own both pairs would you mind to give a short description on how they sound compared to each other and what type of amplification you are using with each pair? I would be interested in your thoughts on this.

Doc Mark
09-20-2014, 04:14 PM
Howdy, Andy,

Don't worry about it taking a bit of time before you get your dream speakers. I first heard the L300's many long years ago, and as a starving musician, had NO hope of ever being able to afford a pair!! Fast forward almost 40 years, and VOILA, we now own a lovely pair of L300 speakers, and love them even more than when I first heard them!!! Was it worth the wait? YOU BET IT WAS!!! Hang tight, listen to your dream favorites, if you can arrange it, and one day, you, too, will own what you are seeking. Just be patient, and there is a very good chance this will come to pass for you! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

andyprice44
09-20-2014, 09:19 PM
Doc,

Thanks for the kind words. I have been building my system for the past 10 years or so. I have been serious in this hobby for the past 5 yrs. I have bought a lot of stuff and sold a lot trying to figure out what I like. I have only recently discovered the sound of vintage JBL when I purchased a pair of L112 last year. I really enjoy this pair and it suits my ears very well. That is why I am considering the L150A as they share all driver units. I have been concentrating on upgrading my sources and amplification as of late. Recently I have moved from tubes back to solid state again. I did own a rogue audio perseus preamp and atlas power amp. I sold the rogue tube gear and have now purchased a mcintosh C40 preamp and MC7300 amp. My L112 sound so good with the mcintosh gear that I want to upgrade to a better model . I also own a pair of B&W 804D speakers. I purchased them new in 2010. I could have used that money to get the 4343 if I had only known about them then. I am contemplating selling them to finance the purchase of the 4343 at this time but, I am using them in my theater setup and they are very living room friendly. I said it could take 20 years for me to get them but, if I do decide to part ways with my B&W speakers, I could acquire them soon. I am still interested in the L220 and the L150A as well. I think I will go with one of these models first. This wouldn't be as hard on my wallet and I could still keep my 804's. It is a hard decision between the two. I am leaning toward the L150A more because of it's similarities with the L112 that I am so fond of. The L220 looks very interesting to me and I like the overall design better. I am just trying to determine which speaker will perform the best. I have never had the opportunity to listen to any of the larger 43xx series monitors. I think I should actually have a listen to them before I commit to buying them down the road. I really appreciate all the advice and thoughts.

BMWCCA
09-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Like others here, I lusted after the L300 for decades, promising myself I'd own a pair at some milestone in my life. Then I ran into a pair of 4345s. Other than the beautiful woodwork and style of the L300, I don't think I missed much! ;)

I've owned my L112s since they were new; my second pair of JBLs. Even though they played second-fiddle to my 030s, I know what you mean about liking the sound and I attribute it mostly to the silky smoothness of the 044. It works well in the L96 and the L150A, too. I would think if your ultimate goal is a pair of 43xx 4-ways then not spending more for the L220 along the way might help get you there. The price of the L220 seems to be driven by the value of the 076 more than their overall performance. If you're looking simply to temporarily upgrade, I'd look for L7s which I feel outperform the L150A, are generally more available—and for about half the price. Save your money for the 4343.

Have you considered the 4345 as a "smaller" alternative to the 4350?

andyprice44
09-21-2014, 06:52 AM
I haven't considered the 4345. One of the reasons I think I want the 4343 is because of the smaller form factor. I think a pair of 4343 will be the largest speakers I am able to get away with. My listening room is about 16' x 16'. Another concern I have is the amount of power it will take to make either of these sound their best. I know either pair is capable of very high SPL. I think I would get better sound at lower volumes with the 4343. I would really like to have a listen before I make a decision.

Doc Mark
09-21-2014, 08:20 AM
Good Morning, Andy, Phil, and All,

Andy, BMWCCA speaks the truth in that the 4345 is one of the most wonderful JBL speakers that you will ever hear. I have lusted for a pair, even though we dearly love our L300's, and have spent many years gathering together the components to create something very much like the 4345. However, even now that I HAVE all those components, I am dragging my feet in putting them all together to try!! Why? Well, work is demanding, and has been so for quite a while. As the economy falls, we have to work harder just to stay even, and so we do. But, seeing all the components of the 4345 here in our home, along with a pair of 8ft3 boxes for the 2245's, looks HUGE, when compared to the L300's, and both SB and I are scratching our heads and wondering where it will all fit, in our actual listening space!! :eek: We listen to the L300's, and wonder just just how much better the larger system is going to be, compared to our much beloved L300's?!?! I know, I know..... I need to get off the dime, get the larger system put together, and listen to it! That way, I will know, for sure, if it's what I (we) want to do. But, seeing and hearing the L300's is SO satisfying, that time continues to pass, all without action on cobbling together the larger system.

So, Andy, I can easily see your point on sticking to nothing larger than a 4343. However, I also see Phil's point about the 4345 being better than the L300's, and tons of other fine JBL systems, and therein lies the huge conundrum for me, for you, and for many other JBL lovers, world-wide!! Good luck in your decision, and I look forward to hearing, and seeing how all of this turns out for you........ AND, for me!! ;) Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

BMWCCA
09-21-2014, 08:24 AM
I haven't considered the 4345. One of the reasons I think I want the 4343 is because of the smaller form factor. I think a pair of 4343 will be the largest speakers I am able to get away with. My listening room is about 16' x 16'. Another concern I have is the amount of power it will take to make either of these sound their best. I know either pair is capable of very high SPL. I think I would get better sound at lower volumes with the 4343. I would really like to have a listen before I make a decision.

Yeah, that extra 5-inches in width would be a killer! ;)

Looking at the specs published by JBL, the 4345 actually has a minimum 2dB sensitivity advantage over the 4343 and yet its power-handling capacity is much greater. I drive mine bi-amped with Crown PS200 and PS400 and have never seen the IOC lights even flicker at tremendous SPL. Any speaker works better with more power but the motor in the 2245 18-inch I believe to be the same as in the 15-inch 2235 (could be better than in the 4343's 2231 but you can read all about the Ferrite/Alnico comparisons elsewhere).

I, too, was concerned about how much power it would take to run the 18 in the 4345 and got this reply from their previous owner:

On another note I'm not quite sure what your aversion to an 18 inch driver is? These drivers require less power not more to equal the same amount of usable output, what is required is a good quality high current amplifier. IE one with a good quality power supply. This gives the drivers the dampening they need for best articulate bass. The great thing about 18's is that they produce a rich foundation effortlessly. No other single speaker system that I Have had performs like the 18's
The idea is that the coil and/or motor assembly on the speaker has the ability to move more air with the same amount of given motion because of greater piston area, for example an 18 only has to move half as much distance to produce the same output as say a 15 inch bass driver. This means less wasted energy in moving the cone hence more usable output. To wrap up on recommended power, when I ran this system, unless I was doing demos for some of my meathead friends I generally tend to run a 75 W per channel amp for the top half and a 150 W amp for the bottom half. This was fine for most listening.

I'm just saying don't discount the 4345, if you should be lucky enough to come across one. Check out the 4345 Club thread and you'll not find a more loyal band of JBL nuts anywhere.
:applaud: