PDA

View Full Version : Advice requested for S7 to S8 upgrade?

Audiogood
09-14-2014, 03:47 PM
I custom ordered Flair L45's upgraded to the S7 system in @ 1969-70; also Aquarius 4s (simulated "4-channel" rears) that spouse threw out later when one lost a connection--the L45s have traveled through life since college graduation in 1971 like adored children. The LE15As have been re-coned and the disintegrating foam (L100 owners I suspect will know about this) on the detachable fronts replaced by custom furniture makers at least twice. They've given me output joy from a variety of mediocre sources over the years but most recently amazingly clear to my soul from my first tube amplifier, a MacIntosh 2275--which unfortunately was sold in the great recession when we changed homes. Here's the question: I had been collecting the components to upgrade from S7 to S8 (have the N7000 cross-overs and 075 ring radiators) but still need to replace LE85s for 375s--estimated cost of 2500 on eBay; and, of course, buy tube amp (could be Cary or Mac)--at what point should I chuck the big L45s to make my wife happy and get ??Sonus Faber or Martin Logan OR... tell me if you know....will the S8 be an improvement over the S7 for tube-driven 25x13x9 room for jazz/retro rock/blues??
....my first post....Audiogood

Wagner
09-14-2014, 06:40 PM
I custom ordered Flair L45's upgraded to the S7 system in @ 1969-70; also Aquarius 4s (simulated "4-channel" rears) that spouse threw out later when one lost a connection--the L45s have traveled through life since college graduation in 1971 like adored children. The LE15As have been re-coned and the disintegrating foam (L100 owners I suspect will know about this) on the detachable fronts replaced by custom furniture makers at least twice. They've given me output joy from a variety of mediocre sources over the years but most recently amazingly clear to my soul from my first tube amplifier, a MacIntosh 2275--which unfortunately was sold in the great recession when we changed homes. Here's the question: I had been collecting the components to upgrade from S7 to S8 (have the N7000 cross-overs and 075 ring radiators) but still need to replace LE85s for 375s--estimated cost of 2500 on eBay; and, of course, buy tube amp (could be Cary or Mac)--at what point should I chuck the big L45s to make my wife happy and get ??Sonus Faber or Martin Logan OR... tell me if you know....will the S8 be an improvement over the S7 for tube-driven 25x13x9 room for jazz/retro rock/blues??
....my first post....Audiogood

http://test.audioheritage.org/Web_Pages/02_History/02_History_and_Legacy_of_JBL/03_Thomas_Era/TE_Frame.html

Mr. Widget
09-14-2014, 11:54 PM
--at what point should I chuck the big L45s to make my wife happy and get ??Sonus Faber or Martin Logan OR... tell me if you know....will the S8 be an improvement over the S7 for tube-driven 25x13x9 room for jazz/retro rock/blues??
....my first post....AudiogoodThat's a tough one.

Swapping out the LE85 for the 375 is a significant sonic improvement, but it is a tremendous investment as well. The Martin Logans and Sonus Fabers will not do what the big JBLs do well, but then these vintage JBLs do not do what these more contemporary speakers do well... especially the Sonos Fabers. I am less enamored with Martin Logans.

I think I would recommend adding a pair of JBL 077s/2405s and the the appropriate HF networks instead of changing the mid drivers and going with the 075s, then seeing if that doesn't keep the smile on your face for far less.

Widget