PDA

View Full Version : Jbl 4345 Consensus best passive bi-amp crossover?

cgregory4
09-08-2014, 12:06 AM
The search function for this forum is efficient -- but not selective.

Is there a 'best' passive bi-amp crossover for the 4345?

I could spend an entire day on the site and not 'discover' the thread that answers my question. Help please?

Thank you,

Greg

Odd
09-08-2014, 01:24 AM
Use this text in Google search.

jbl 4345 crossover site:www.audioheritage.org

BMWCCA
09-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Completely passive?

Heather put this reference thread together: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?16967-4345-References-Thread&p=171841#post171841

That's the cc crossover I'm using. Passive on the top three drivers and requires an active crossover in the path to separate the woofer from the rest, but why would you do it any other way?

:thmbsup:

speakerdave
09-08-2014, 08:07 PM
"4313B" did a 4345 build with the 2123 and a large format treble driver. He used the 4355 equivalent crossover.

cgregory4
09-08-2014, 10:35 PM
Completely passive?

Heather put this reference thread together: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?16967-4345-References-Thread&p=171841#post171841

That's the cc crossover I'm using. Passive on the top three drivers and requires an active crossover in the path to separate the woofer from the rest, but why would you do it any other way?

:thmbsup:

If it's good enough for your 'work of art' avatar speaker, I don't see why oilfield trash like me would attempt to do better. Why indeed?! :)

I do have a thread on the General forum on some Clair S4s that I bought in the 'heat of passion'. :o: There's been some good discussion, but I guess I'll probably just build some 43XXs of some type. I'd sure like to know your 'take' on that. One option I didn't mention in that thread, is building two sets of 4345s -- as I have the parts. However, the 2242s don't seem to measure up to the 2245s in the minds of most posters.

Any thoughts you have are appreciated.

Greg

BMWCCA
09-09-2014, 06:10 AM
Any thoughts you have are appreciated.

I only know enough to be dangerous. I do follow instructions pretty well! I don't reinvent and I'm no electrical engineer.

However, I have lived in a JBL home for almost 60-years and still own the first JBL I ever heard, the 030 mono system my Dad set out for the Goodwill before I hustled it off the curb and into my closet when I was nine. I think I can appreciate good hi-fi sound and I have over a dozen pair of JBLs to compare and appreciate. I've made basic measurements across the spectrum with my 4345s. I'm confident they're set-up properly and I enjoy them immensely. The crossovers were built by Dave Brink from the schematic listed above. NewZenith here owned them before me and modified them frequently before putting them back to "stock" and selling them to me, nearly six-years ago.

Maybe some day I could see replacing them with DD6600, at the rate they're depreciating, but then I could also be dead before that opportunity arises, so I think I'll just enjoy what I have, while I can!

cgregory4
09-10-2014, 07:45 AM
I only know enough to be dangerous. I do follow instructions pretty well! I don't reinvent and I'm no electrical engineer.

However, I have lived in a JBL home for almost 60-years and still own the first JBL I ever heard, the 030 mono system my Dad set out for the Goodwill before I hustled it off the curb and into my closet when I was nine. I think I can appreciate good hi-fi sound and I have over a dozen pair of JBLs to compare and appreciate. I've made basic measurements across the spectrum with my 4345s. I'm confident they're set-up properly and I enjoy them immensely. The crossovers were built by Dave Brink from the schematic listed above. NewZenith here owned them before me and modified them frequently before putting them back to "stock" and selling them to me, nearly six-years ago.

Maybe some day I could see replacing them with DD6600, at the rate they're depreciating, but then I could also be dead before that opportunity arises, so I think I'll just enjoy what I have, while I can!

Does Dave Brink build crossovers for others, or just for his own use? Does anyone know whether Dave, or someone else, would build me a set of the charge-coupled crossovers for my use?

Thanks for the help.

Greg

BMWCCA
09-10-2014, 08:04 PM
Does Dave Brink build crossovers for others, or just for his own use? Does anyone know whether Dave, or someone else, would build me a set of the charge-coupled crossovers for my use?

Dave was "norealtalent" on this site. My guess is no, but you can try to reach him here: http://www.katzassaudio.com/
Check this page: http://www.katzassaudio.com/custom.html