PDA

View Full Version : JBL Century Gold pricing

martin2395
09-06-2014, 01:36 PM
Can anyone explain to me why the Century Golds are going so cheap second hand?

I saw them numerous times priced <€1000 and they still take a few days to sell, why is that, are they inferior to other models?

SEAWOLF97
09-06-2014, 03:43 PM
MSRP was $5,000 a pair new. :eek:

replacement parts unobtainable ?

martin2395
09-07-2014, 08:03 AM
MSRP was $5,000 a pair new. :eek:

replacement parts unobtainable ?

That's the point!

Yes all of the units are unobtainable but still, many other speakers, vintage or not contain unobtainable parts too.

BMWCCA
09-07-2014, 11:43 AM

I saw them numerous times priced <€1000 and they still take a few days to sell, why is that, are they inferior to other models?

That's still a lot of money for a 3-way "bookshelf" system based on a 12-inch woofer. Name some others that bring more!?

Problem is many think they're ugly and gaudy if not pretentious. Too much emphasis on the bling, to my eyes and in my house. Rarity is one thing, aesthetics another. Rare and ugly gets you an Edsel; still collectible but not worth as much as a Thunderbird.

http://www.jbl.com/images/media/CENTURY_GOLD_OM-1.pdf

SEAWOLF97
09-07-2014, 12:18 PM
1000 Euro equals
1295.17 US Dollars

about 1/3 of their new cost.

I buy many JBL's that haven't even held that much resale. Have never & most likely never will hear a pair.
Besides NLA replacement parts, there are lots of other fine 3 way, 12 inchers available for much less cost.

Would also wager that my recently acquired 120Ti's would rate in the top quartile of that group, and they
can be had for a lot less.

But if you are filling a show house, well ... maybe the CG is your answer. :dont-know:

The CG's drivers sure look familiar, but JBL changed the model numbers to unique names.

Wagner
09-07-2014, 02:01 PM
That's still a lot of money for a 3-way "bookshelf" system based on a 12-inch woofer. Name some others that bring more!?

Problem is many think they're ugly and gaudy if not pretentious. Too much emphasis on the bling, to my eyes and in my house. Rarity is one thing, aesthetics another. Rare and ugly gets you an Edsel; still collectible but not worth as much as a Thunderbird.

http://www.jbl.com/images/media/CENTURY_GOLD_OM-1.pdf

Yeah, but how do they SOUND? ;)

Actually not a lot of money really, all things considered. Look at where nondescript standard issue L-100 prices have been going the past year and a 1/2 and don't overlook shipping. Just a sample:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=jbl+l100&LH_Complete=1&_from=R40&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0&_nkw=jbl+l100&_sacat=0

martin2395
09-07-2014, 02:20 PM
I have to admit that the looks are not exactly to my taste too, the Century Golds have a kind of 'gypsy' finish :D

Though I think that all the CG's drivers are unique, I have never seen JBL use the Century 1200 basket anywhere else.

Wagner
09-07-2014, 02:26 PM

I'm sure I could, easily if I tried, (but remember I am in the Northern California market)

My question is how many 3-way book shelf systems based on a 12 inch woofer come with a factory built and installed biased network?

I have mulled over these for a long time. Soon, the point of no return will be reached and I might as well forget it (at anything even resembling sane money)

I wish badly that I could hear a pair. I am not so intrigued with them as to just buy them "ears unseen" however I don't have that sort of discretionary money

I have also read in several places that very few pairs of these were made and that for some inexplicable reason when you do find them they are often in pretty bad shape.

This however is just a vague recollection

grumpy
09-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Could try a nice used pair of LSR32s and charge couple for less :)

speakerdave
09-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Could try a nice used pair of LSR32s and charge couple for less :)

+1 :thmbsup:

Wagner
09-08-2014, 11:18 AM
A million posts bitching about service parts (un)availability for ages now, but is this heading towards new record setting territory?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281428157079?fe_1_5
Not really the topic but related in my mind when talking up (or down) the virtues of all the vintage (discontinued) models

Thought about it after researching your suggestion of trying some LSR32s and coming across this ancient JBL bashing troll's thread from 2008 by coincidence. I share it as to the connection with the ongoing and worsening parts scene. Has it been THIS long!?:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?20846-A-very-good-reason-not-to-buy-LSR32-or-LSR6332-speakers

OP on this one had it easy if this ePay closing is any indicator of the pace of where things are going, fast! :(

speakerdave
09-08-2014, 02:46 PM
I have to admit that the looks are not exactly to my taste too, the Century Golds have a kind of 'gypsy' finish :D

Though I think that all the CG's drivers are unique, I have never seen JBL use the Century 1200 basket anywhere else.

The woofer was also used in the 4425 MkII; the mid range is the same as the LSR32/6332 (I think--the descriptions are very similar). I'm not sure about the tweeters. Is it an 052 or 053 ti with lipstick?

speakerdave
09-08-2014, 03:17 PM
A million posts bitching about service parts (un)availability for ages now, but is this heading towards new record setting territory?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281428157079?fe_1_5
Not really the topic but related in my mind when talking up (or down) the virtues of all the vintage (discontinued) models

Thought about it after researching your suggestion of trying some LSR32s and coming across this ancient JBL bashing troll's thread from 2008 by coincidence. I share it as to the connection with the ongoing and worsening parts scene. Has it been THIS long!?:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?20846-A-very-good-reason-not-to-buy-LSR32-or-LSR6332-speakers

OP on this one had it easy if this ePay closing is any indicator of the pace of where things are going, fast! :(

We don't care about that jerk. We forgot about him a long time ago. Why are you more influenced by one wacko than all the other user/hearers of a speaker?

speakerdave
09-08-2014, 03:43 PM
The ideal of perpetual open stock on replacement parts for a speaker system comes from the designer/ engineering side of the business, I believe, as articulated by Henry Kloss long ago. Sadly, by the end of the sixties, two of the labels he had been associated with (Acoustic Reaearch and KLH) had been conglomeratized, after which the ethic changed to marketing, model ramification (with frufru) and discounting to death, and by the end of the seventies, the third, Advent (this is all unaided memory). Open stock on replacement parts got lost real early in this evolution (?). This is far from atypical. Looked at from this perspective, JBL has an absolute sterling record on that ideal. That doesn't mean 100%. It means a remarkable record of supporting successful designs.

martin_wu99
09-09-2014, 02:33 AM

Many people think that Century Golds are JBL failure pruducts :crying:

hjames
09-09-2014, 02:51 AM
Many people think that Century Golds are JBL failure products :crying:

Why do many people thing such a thing? -
please explain with some detail.

Wagner
09-09-2014, 10:52 AM
We don't care about that jerk. We forgot about him a long time ago. Why are you more influenced by one wacko than all the other user/hearers of a speaker?

Woa! Slow down there bud!
I believe I referred to him as a troll and qualified my remarks as being towards the current trends in replacement parts costs IN GENERAL as juxtaposed with his whining back in 2008. The "wacko" had it easy, kind of idiot who would bitch if they hung him with a new rope.

Nothing to do with the LSR32s. Nothing.

Don't know where or how you drew the conclusion that the "wacko" had any influence on me.

Try actually reading my post.

Wagner
09-09-2014, 11:19 AM
The ideal of perpetual open stock on replacement parts for a speaker system comes from the designer/ engineering side of the business, I believe, as articulated by Henry Kloss long ago. Sadly, by the end of the sixties, two of the labels he had been associated with (Acoustic Reaearch and KLH) had been conglomeratized, after which the ethic changed to marketing, model ramification (with frufru) and discounting to death, and by the end of the seventies, the third, Advent (this is all unaided memory). Open stock on replacement parts got lost real early in this evolution (?). This is far from atypical. Looked at from this perspective, JBL has an absolute sterling record on that ideal. That doesn't mean 100%. It means a remarkable record of supporting successful designs.

All true, and equally, obvious.
The point being?

As a matter of fact, I don't think anyone in the Western World with their wits about them believes or thinks that service parts for ANYTHING mechanical will be available in perpetuity, regardless of initial costs.

Ever!

Not so much since the Model T Ford anyway.

There are, and have been, a rare few exceptions, JBL being one thankfully. We've benefited for a very long time thanks in large part to the durability of so many of their classic transducer designs, many being carried forward for decades, and in numbers great enough to make it possible. Impeccable corporate ethics didn't hurt either. (now who's talking about the obvious now :))

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

SEAWOLF97
09-09-2014, 11:47 AM
As a matter of fact, I don't think anyone in the Western World with their wits about them believes or thinks that service parts for ANYTHING mechanical will be available in perpetuity, regardless of initial costs.

Ever!

I used to deal with NEC on a weekly basis. Remember the inventory manager telling me that according to some reg,
replacement parts must be available for 7 years after the end of life for gear sold in the USA.

We ended up selling old obsolete laptops back to them to use for parts. :crying:

Wagner
09-09-2014, 11:57 AM
I used to deal with NEC on a weekly basis. Remember the inventory manager telling me that according to some reg,
replacement parts must be available for 7 years after the end of life for gear sold in the USA.

We ended up selling old obsolete laptops back to them to use for parts. :crying:

Excellent example

Another: it has gotten so today it is often difficult, if not impossible (through traditional channels) to obtain certain categories of repair parts for some automobiles after as little as 10 model years. And even if and when you can, you pay and pay well for that inventory shelf space.

There are some rules and regs in place regarding safety and emission related bits and pieces, but for soft trim type stuff as one example, forget it.

Pre-Jane JBL was a wonderful and rare bird. Wonderful that the tradition lasted as long as it did.

honkytonkwillie
09-10-2014, 03:32 AM

I'm having pretty good luck with a vintage Mercedes diesel.

Wagner
09-10-2014, 04:12 AM
I'm having pretty good luck with a vintage Mercedes diesel.

They are pretty good about things aren't they? One of those few! :)

There are, and have been, a rare few exceptions, JBL being one thankfully.

martin2395
09-12-2014, 03:05 AM
Does anybody know how many CG's were produced?
I mean, they are advertised as "limited edition" but even in the Netherlands there is always a pair or two for sale.

For example the old L100 Century is much more rare, you see them roughly 1-2 times @ year.

Wagner
09-12-2014, 12:07 PM
I mean, they are advertised as "limited edition" but even in the Netherlands there is always a pair or two for sale.

For example the old L100 Century is much more rare, you see them roughly 1-2 times @ year.

MAYBE they're the same pair (or two)?

martin2395
09-12-2014, 12:29 PM
No, not the same pair - different condition and JBL users are like one big family, we keep in contact :D

BMWCCA
09-12-2014, 07:11 PM

I'd wager that the Century Golds, like many other later JBL series, were marketed for and sold in more countries outside the USA than inside. :dont-know:

Wagner
09-12-2014, 08:09 PM
I'd wager that the Century Golds, like many other later JBL series, were marketed for and sold in more countries outside the USA than inside. :dont-know:

Yep, you may be on to something there.

You ever get a strange sensation sometimes, a funny feeling, just a momentary vibe, as if lately someone or something is trying to herd you up the loading ramp and into the squeeze chute of choices?

I do and it's coming more and more often over the past 10 or 15 years.

SEAWOLF97
09-12-2014, 08:31 PM

Isn't that what happened with the final version of the 250Ti s ?

I've seen more ads for 250TiBBQ's from Germany & Sweden than USA

martin_wu99
09-15-2014, 09:23 AM
Why do many people thing such a thing? -
please explain with some detail.
It just painted in gold,not a gold one.i personally think it is not so bad,but it is just a JBL ordinary product,not lik other JBL limited edtion product such as DD55000,S9500 etc.that say, it is not match its 50th anniversary title,we may expect it too much:crying: