PDA

View Full Version : Jbl 4343 cabinet rebuild

script56
09-06-2014, 10:22 AM
I have a water damaged pair of 4343. I have a carpenter that can build new cabinets. We found that the original cabs are particle board. The carpenter suggested using plywood for new cabs. I told him that Jbl originally used particle board for acoustic properties due to density. He then suggested mdf for new cabs that's close to particle board density. Also he suggested using a thinner piece of mdf for the back side. Would this be suitable for rebuild and be close to original acoustic properties? I've found that carpenters like to use their opinions on how to build a new project better than original instead of trying to make an exact duplicate.

Earl K
09-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Hi,

( In your place ) I would start with a site search ( for all cabinet related postings, as posted by saeman (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?1656-saeman) ).

You'll find ( within some of his pearls of wisdom ) that apparently some of JBL's larger classic boxes used 3/4" Birch plywood ( for the back & front baffle board ) with 1" particle board comprising the rest . That seems a reasonable way to go ( though I've always favoured using 3/4" Baltic Birch for everything ) .

:)

martin2395
09-07-2014, 08:45 AM
There are two ways to do it - either build the cabs 100% like the original so they retain their value and could eventually be sold as "4343" or use better materials and create a 4343 clone :)

script56
09-28-2014, 08:30 AM
ive talked to three different wood shops. they all said that the particle board originally used is hard to find. also they wanted to use different fastening techniques other than glue. I tried to convey that complete stock is what im trying to achieve, not an improved version. Ill keep looking.

Lee in Montreal
09-28-2014, 08:49 AM
... I told him that Jbl originally used particle board for acoustic properties due to density. Maybe due to density, but surely for lower cost. If I were you, I would definitley make copies of the cabinet, but using better technique. Could be high quality plywood or could be high density presswood. I would not hesitate to include proper bracing too. Or just find a used cabinet.

Lee