PDA

View Full Version : Advice: What to do with Sovereign C60 SR8's

Caledon Ken
08-29-2014, 01:57 PM
I have two Sovereign C60 SR8's. They are basically original except one of the LX5's was replaced about 15 years ago. One of the 7000 crossovers is not working, likely needs a new cap or two. The bass speakers need to re foamed, etc and one of the lenses needs repair.

I was going to rebuild and refinish but reality has set in, costs and size, and I will never have a room that will be big enough to support them.

So I have three options.

1) Disassemble, cut up the cases and scrap everything in a responsible manner.
2) Disassemble and sell as parts, as is, on Ebay. Scrap what doesn't sell.
3) Sell and ship the speakers as units to someone who would restore and appreciate them. (I live near Toronto, Canada)

If these were your speakers which option above would you pick?

Thanks

Jbl ti 250
08-30-2014, 05:51 AM
In my opinion it would be the best to try selling them as is to someone who can restore them to original:)

if you would be willing to put them on a pallet i for sure would be interested in buing them! What price are you looking at?

All the best. René

GTekie
08-30-2014, 07:54 AM
I would try to restore them. I have a pair and they are truly awesome. Just up the road from you in Tottenham.

Caledon Ken
08-30-2014, 08:16 AM
Thanks. The only issue is if I were to restore I couldn't use them. They live in the basement today because of size and our next house will likely be smaller which drove me to my three options. My darling is okay with me restoring but they will live in basement. I'm in Bolton so yes you are just up the road.

GTekie
08-30-2014, 08:25 AM
Option 3 seems to be your only choice. It would be a shame not to use them.

Maron Horonzakz
08-30-2014, 10:26 AM
Throw then in the fireplace

audiomagnate
08-30-2014, 02:59 PM
These speakers just don't wear out and are easy to work on, and even though they are large they sound great in small rooms, so...fix them and keep them.

Caledon Ken
09-13-2014, 09:12 AM
Thanks to all that responded.

It seems the consensus would be to restore and keep. Unfortunately I really don't have the room even if they would sound great. One person did want them shipped but given their weight and size the shipping costs, to Europe, exceeded the restoration cost.

There is one constant theme, size, and with it weight.

I did some research on ebay and while I recognize the prices listed are "Asking" and not the actual selling price, this seems the most likely exit strategy for me. Carve them up, sell what I can and scrap the rest.

Again, thanks to all for responding.

Jbl ti 250
09-16-2014, 01:55 PM
Good luck with the sale:)
They would have lookt good in my office, but:crying:

Regards René

Caledon Ken
10-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Well thanks to the forum these speakers have found a new home and won't be broken up into parts.

I want to thank all who responded and for previous help everyone offered when I posted.

Happy listening to all !!!