PDA

View Full Version : Advice on shipping large vintage speakers coast to coast

farleybob
08-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Has anyone had to ship a large speaker from coast to coast? I'm looking at having one shipped from Los Angeles to the DC area. Unfortunately, I can't be there to pack it, so I 'd be looking at a service that can pack it or do coast to coast blanket wrap. Are there any companies that do a good (and hopefully reasonably-priced) job.

1audiohack
08-26-2014, 06:48 AM
What are you shipping?

The care and preparation required varies dramatically depending on the speaker.
Most of the big stuff I buy comes strapped to a pallet and arrives just fine with little to no special care at all. If I was shipping something or real value however,,,,

Barry.

script56
08-26-2014, 07:16 AM
You should try the company listed below. They are expensive, but will pickup, pack professionally on pallet and ship freight and discount if you pickup at freight center. They are on uship, but you could probably call them directly. Is it the iconic?

(sorry, I meant I will PM you their info. The company is Packaging Store of Cerritos, CA.)

farleybob
08-26-2014, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the advice. Yes, it is the "barn find" Iconic some one posted in an earlier thread. I'm going to go take a look and if (aside from the missing field coil supply) it works ok and the cone is in good shape, I'm going to go ahead and get it. We (at least I) don't see many on the east coast.

kmanusa
08-26-2014, 04:23 PM
I used Uship.com and selected a moving company to ship a pair of Infinity RS-4.5s from Washington State to Northern Virginia. The moving company was not the lowest bidder but I felt they had the best chance of delivering the big Infinitys without damage. They packed and loaded the speakers onto a moving truck in Washington, drove them across country, and unpacked them right in my listening room here in VA. I was quite pleased with the whole deal.

audiomagnate
08-27-2014, 03:31 PM
I have used Uship four of five times and it's a great but sometimes the time it takes a few weeks for a good bid to come in.

Pop Alexandra
02-03-2022, 06:05 AM
You could also try Cargolution (https://www.cargolution.com/en/transport/) if you're still interested in a freight forwarder.

audiomagnate
02-27-2022, 06:13 PM
You could also try Cargolution (https://www.cargolution.com/en/transport/) if you're still interested in a freight forwarder.

It's been eight years so I hope he's shipped them by now. Whatever you do, avoid ShipSmart like the plague. I'm still a fan of Uship. I've used them several times since my 2014 post and have never had a problem, and no packing is required. I've shipped several pairs of L300s, L200s and recently a pair of SVA2100s.

BMWCCA
02-27-2022, 06:50 PM
What are people paying for such services these days?

gasfan
02-28-2022, 07:53 AM
It's been eight years so I hope he's shipped them by now. Whatever you do, avoid ShipSmart like the plague. I'm still a fan of Uship. I've used them several times since my 2014 post and have never had a problem, and no packing is required. I've shipped several pairs of L300s, L200s and recently a pair of SVA2100s.So they come to your place, pack them on site and take them?

jblnut
03-01-2022, 09:40 AM
I used UShip to get my 250Ti's to their new owner in Colorado. A father/daughter moving team showed up with a UHaul filled with a variety of things and they did a great job on the packing and moving.

It's not a conventional approach (moving company or shipper) but it's a viable alternative in this new economy...

jblnut

rusty jefferson
03-01-2022, 03:27 PM
What are people paying for such services these days?
I'm curious about this as well.

Has anyone used this service in say the last 6-9 months? My reading is that it has changed dramatically since the pandemic started with 3rd party people getting involved and trying to resell the delivery for a profit and adding to the cost and timeline, blah, blah, blah. It kinda sounds like people have figured out how to mess up what was a pretty good idea.