PDA

View Full Version : Snagged a hacked up pair of L200's.

audiomagnate
08-18-2014, 04:37 PM
The good news: The price was OK and the drivers are great condition. The bad news. A bit of molding will have to be replaced, the footer is missing on one and the holes the PO drilled to stick in the $4 tweeters will either have to be plugged, or maybe filled with a 2405s. That tweedy looking fabric ain't right either is it? I know about the lenses being upside down BTW. Where do I get the cool looking sculpted grills I usually see with these? And what are the pros/cons of adding a 2405 as far as resale goes if I decide to flip them?

Alobar
08-18-2014, 06:55 PM
Those are just like mine except for the tweeters. I think you should get the 077's and try them out! I guess I am saying this from a selfish perspective as I am considering what to do with mine and would love to see someone who is knowledgeable figure these early (non B models) out as to the best approach. :bouncy:

audiomagnate
08-18-2014, 07:05 PM
Those are just like mine except for the tweeters. I think you should get the 077's and try them out! I guess I am saying this from a selfish perspective as I am considering what to do with mine and would love to see someone who is knowledgeable figure these early (non B models) out as to the best approach. :bouncy:

I own L300s so I pretty much know how they will sound with 77's. Are those ugly grilles stock?

Alobar
08-18-2014, 08:56 PM
I own L300s so I pretty much know how they will sound with 77's. Are those ugly grilles stock?

No. I bought mine new in 1974 and as I remember it there were a couple different colors of grills offered. Mine were blue, open cell foam in vertical deep grooves. My brother had them for several decades while I was moving around said that a while back the foam just fell off the screen backing in little pieces all within a year. I have been thinking about leaving the screens without any covering, possibly spray painting them black. I sorta like looking at those big drivers!

I have a pair of Jubals and I really like the sound of the 077's and can't decide whether to cannibalize the L65's in order to put the tweeters into the Studio Masters or keep the Jubals as is. I really only have room for one set of speakers and selling one pair is out of the question because of the remoteness of where I live which makes shipping large speakers cost prohibitive. .

Alobar
08-18-2014, 09:09 PM
Here is what the L200's looked like..

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1973-l200/page01.jpg

audiomagnate
08-18-2014, 10:50 PM
Here is what the L200's looked like..

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1973-l200/page01.jpg

Exactly! Now where do I get me some of that beautiful goodness? It seems Foamtrends is out of biz.

hjames
08-19-2014, 02:45 AM
No. I bought mine new in 1974 and as I remember it there were a couple different colors of grills offered. Mine were blue, open cell foam in vertical deep grooves. My brother had them for several decades while I was moving around said that a while back the foam just fell off the screen backing in little pieces all within a year. I have been thinking about leaving the screens without any covering, possibly spray painting them black. I sorta like looking at those big drivers!

I have a pair of Jubals and I really like the sound of the 077's and can't decide whether to cannibalize the L65's in order to put the tweeters into the Studio Masters or keep the Jubals as is. I really only have room for one set of speakers and selling one pair is out of the question because of the remoteness of where I live which makes shipping large speakers cost prohibitive. .

Most everyone with original grills suffered from foam rot over the years ... I had a pair of new brown ones made for mine,
then later had black ones made and I really prefer the black ones! I did add a 2405 slot near the top center and a 4333 style crossover.
And I did add the external walnut horns with the 2445J drivers instead of the stock LE85 short horns.

You may find Sonofagun is the last surviving grill maker 'round these parts ... (he made my BROWN ones)

audiomagnate
09-16-2014, 12:36 PM
They made it here Saturday evening. The cabinets will need some work but the drivers are perfect. I thought that someone had swapped out the grilles for window screens but I found this picture on the web, so I'm guessing this is normal (??!!). My grilles look exactly like this, complete with adhesive splotches in the same places.

hjames
09-16-2014, 01:34 PM
Yep - thats the normal weirdo grill-screens of the L200 ...

Sonofagun makes foams for them - get the foams, get the velcro sticky dots -
glue the velcro to the screens and the hooks grab into the foam and hold them in place ...

I drilled holes and mounted the 2405 slots dead center where your cheapo tweeters are ...
in line with the internal horn and the woofers ...

They made it here Saturday evening. The cabinets will need some work but the drivers are perfect.
I thought that someone had swapped out the grilles for window screens but I found this picture on the web,
so I'm guessing this is normal (??!!). My grilles look exactly like this, complete with adhesive splotches in the same places.

Alobar
09-16-2014, 01:41 PM
Yes this is exactly how mine look too. The foam was glued to the screen and the screen was heavy duty enough to give some protection to the drivers. Once the foam lost cohesion after 30 or more years it simply would end up in a pile on the floor with the screen and glue all that was left. I have been thinking to find something to remove the glue and paint the screens flat black and go with that for grills. I actually prefer no grills, i don't know why.. Maybe I like looking under the hood and seeing the drivers. Still at the same time I want the protection that the metal screen provides.

gsb001
09-22-2014, 06:15 AM
I sell replacement grilles for the L-200 grilles.
Eight colors, JBL maroon and seven other colors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-New-Pair-of-Dark-Blue-JBL-L-200-JBL-L-200B-Studio-Monitor-Speaker-Grilles-/161363410177?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2592023d01

Huntley Audio.com
Thanks
Steve

SEAWOLF97
09-22-2014, 10:08 AM
only for comparison ..

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/eld/4656620387.html

hjames
09-22-2014, 10:43 AM
only for comparison ..

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/eld/4656620387.html
oooh - nice price (wrong coast for us easterners ...)

Tho I don't have the room to do a 7.1 L200 system ...

But the upstairs pair I have does have full bass tho!

audiomagnate
09-22-2014, 05:21 PM
That's a good price for a clean pair. I'm really enjoying mine. I put a poly pillow in each one and stuffed the ports, which killed the bottom end but tamed some of the wilder bass anomalies. With the bass rolled off at 50 and my sub swarm they're a blast. Fantastic for movies too. It looks like I paid too much, but at least I have a pair to play with.

Doc Mark
09-22-2014, 06:34 PM
I posted this in your other thread, but thought I'd copy it here, too:

HI, Audiomagnate,

I thought you sold your L300's, to make room for a pair of 4345's. Am I wrong about that? Did you decide not to sell the L300, after all? From your post here, it seems that you still have the L300's, and are making this tribute pair so you can have another pair of them. Do I misunderstand your plans in all this? Are you still going for a 4345? In any case, your project looks like it's coming together, and that you're having a fine time doing it. That's all that really matters, in the end!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

audiomagnate
09-22-2014, 08:53 PM
I posted this in your other thread, but thought I'd copy it here, too:HI, Audiomagnate,I thought you sold your L300's, to make room for a pair of 4345's. Am I wrong about that? Did you decide not to sell the L300, after all? From your post here, it seems that you still have the L300's, and are making this tribute pair so you can have another pair of them. Do I misunderstand your plans in all this? Are you still going for a 4345? In any case, your project looks like it's coming together, and that you're having a fine time doing it. That's all that really matters, in the end!! Take care, and God Bless!Every Good Wish,DocMy L300s are in limbo down in Austin after the buyer backed out while they were on the way down, so I'm still the owner. 300's up front and these in the rear would be nice for HT. I'm guessing my top end is around 120+ dB with this rig:

script56
11-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Nice find

Lee in Montreal
11-03-2014, 02:07 PM
My L300s are in limbo down in Austin after the buyer backed out while they were on the way down...

What??? :eek: