PDA

View Full Version : altect 6022 and n-3000-e

lago
08-15-2014, 02:53 PM
I admin I am a newbie at this.
I have a pair of altec 602d speakers. There is a N-3000-E still attached to the cabinet. The speakers are out of the cabinet.

How do I take off the N-3000-E off the cabinet. The knob is on outside and the control box on the other side. It looks like the knob would come off and then remove the nut on the outside of the cabinet. How do you take off the knob? There is a little screw in the knob that I removed but the knob did not come off.

Other questions if you have time
Do I need the N-3000-E or is there some modern day equivalent?
What is the N-3000-E used for?
Do you know where I can get a new cabinets for the speakers?
Are they worth keeping and putting in new cabinets. They were in working order and have rarely been used.

also misspelled altec in title. don't know how to fix
thanks

wpod
08-15-2014, 04:37 PM
or a reasonable facsimile. The N-3000 E is a frequency dividing network, a "crossover", which sends the low frequencies to the woofer and the high frequencies to the "tweeter" in the center of the woofer. Are you able to post a picture of your cabinet with the N-3000E still mounted ? If you removed the screw and the knob doesn't come off , either there is a second screw or the knob is just stuck from old age. You could try a penatrating oil or some WD-40 behind the knob where it sits on the metal shaft of the potentiometer and see if that helps. Those are very nice drivers, so be very careful handling them. Don't feed that 602 a signal without using a crossover as it will sound like crap and you could do damage to the driver. Good Luck, Paul

lago
08-16-2014, 04:53 AM
I will take pictures next week and post them if I can't get it off. Is there a modern reasonable facsimile I can order say from amazon?

Thanks

wpod
08-16-2014, 05:16 AM
you could contact Bill at Great Plains Audio http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/ He is a former Altec Lansing Employee that still makes and services Altec speakers and parts. I know for sure that he makes and sells a crossover for the 604/605 duplex , so making or having one for the 602 shouldn't be a problem. Give him a call or email. Good Luck ! Paul, Providence