PDA

View Full Version : Re-purpose Model 19 components

pizzazz
08-13-2014, 04:02 AM
I have a pair of Altec Model 19 speakers. Mint condition, purchsed in 1978. I am a serious woodworker and want
to make a pair of cabinets that are not as wide and deep, but will still allow the horn and woofer to be mounted on
the front of the cabinet. I want to use solid hardwood so I can dovetail the carcass for visual appeal and strength (no
half-lap joints with nails here!) I understand the notion of MDF and plywood being used for cabinets, but since I am
only making one pair out of the same material, I thought the sonic properties would be closely matched.

All of this being said, does anyone have plans for a simple "tower" design that would be a good match for the
components that I have?

Thanks for reading

Mike

audiomagnate
08-16-2014, 07:51 AM
How 'bout something completely different?

pizzazz
08-17-2014, 08:18 AM
Hi

Thanks for replying. I find it hard to understand that so many people viewed my post, but no response.
I thought all of us Altec-Heads would jump at a topic like this.

For me, I just want a simple tower, and one that my wife will approve of. She does not understand
audio, and that your enclosure cannot be 4x5 inches in size if you want to have any bottom to the
audio spectrum. :)

There is nothing wrong with the 19's; I am just thinking when the time comes for me to down size.

Mike

Lee in Montreal
08-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Let me be the second one to reply, especially that you expressed the goal to downsize. As soon as you will reduce the size of the bass cabinet, you will not have an Altec 19 sound anymore. Better sell them and buy something that was originally designed to be smaller. Nontheless, if the goal is to have a cabinet that has less frontal "impact", then simply measure the volume of your cabinet and design another that has the same volume. Just slimmer and taller. Keep the same volume and the same ducting specs for bass reflex.

pizzazz
08-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Hi Lee in Montreal!

You know, that was my original thought. Make a tower with the same internal cubic feet and make the port the same size.
But for my own sanity, I thought someone on the forum would have a design based on the criteria. I probably need to let
the 19's sit. Otherwise, I can see it now. I make a new enclosure, and the speakers would yell: "You want us to wear THESE??!!!??

Thanks for your reply, Lee. I will do some thinking.

Mike

Ed Kreamer
08-18-2014, 08:25 AM
Hi Mike,

I think Lee has the best solution for your problem, and it is the one you came up with yourself. I would add that you keep the dimensions the same between the rear of the bass speaker and the horn driver for correct phasing.
I completely understand the WAF in audio systems. It can sometimes appear insurmountable, but I have been able to overcome some of it with luck, guile, and comprimise. (sp).

Ed

pizzazz
08-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Hi Ed

What is WAF?

Also, I see you are on the Hood Canal!! I have family in Silverdale, and I am arriving
on Oct. 15 for another "Honeymoon Campout". This is when I fly up without my wife
to spend time camping with my brother-in-law. I LOVE it there. I am so tired of the
heat/humidity of Florida!

Anyway, I am off topic.

Is the horn driver really in line with the voice coil in the Altec 19's? It seems the
horns are pretty deep, considering the woofer is surface mounted. I have no access
to actually see if they are in alignment.

Mike

Ed Kreamer
08-18-2014, 09:32 AM
WAF is wife acceptance factor

If you look at the mounting flange of the horn, it's set back about 3 or 4 inches from the front baffle. That set back should be maintained for proper phasing and the driver wired the same way the factory did it. That will maintain the proper phase relationship between the LF and the HF driver.

Many moons ago I built some monsters using two 416's in a ten ft box with a 511 and 802 driver mounted on top. Then I got married. The huge Altecs had to go. I now have 3 4410's in front. The trade was worth it.

I hope you have a good time up here. It's warm for us natives this year (in the 80s ) and the bears have been somewhat aggressive. So be careful on your hike and take some bear spray. (or a large caliber hand gun or both)
As for me I'll off to Havre Montana.

Ed

pizzazz
08-18-2014, 09:49 AM
Hi Ed

Here is my simple drawing. I have not looked for quite some time, but
maybe you are correct; the horn mounting flange has a small setback.
I will look tonight.

Ed Kreamer
08-19-2014, 03:13 PM
Mike,

I checked my old Altec literature, and found the inset for the 811 horn to be 3.25 inches, on both the 846b and the 878. I would bet that the 19 has the same inset as I think it used the 811 horn also. The Altec enclosure manual (1974) is also located in the literature section of this website.

Have fun and show us your project.

Ed

Lee in Montreal
08-19-2014, 03:26 PM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?34923-My-Altec-model-19-components-get-a-new-home

Lee in Montreal
08-21-2014, 08:13 AM
It seems the Altec 19 has about 9.25cft internal volume. It is big. To keep the same volume and yet visulaly reduce it, I suggest you keep a narrow frontal width, and compensate with depth and height.

You could do (external measurements) 20" wide x 37.5" tall x 25.5" deep from 3/4" sheets

Internal would be 18.5" wide x 36" tall x 24" deep

That would be a 9.25cft cabinet. You could increase depth to reduce width.
Measurements can be altered to better fit a 4'x8' sheet to minimize costs.

And horn on top.