PDA

View Full Version : Question setting up a powered sub bass cab - 25 feet from my pre-amp?

robertbartsch
08-02-2014, 01:58 PM
OK, so I want to install an 18' - 2245 sub bass cab that will be powered by a Dayton power amp. The sub bass amp/cabinet will be about 25 feet from the receiver/pre-amp.

If I splice a 25 foot RCA jack between the pre-amp receiver and the Dayton power amp, will this work OK or will I loose a ton of low frequency signal?

My other option would be to place the Dayton power amp close to the receiver pre-amp and to run a speaker cable 25 feet from the power amp to the 2245 sub driver.....

Thanks for your thoughts....

fpitas
08-02-2014, 02:28 PM
Nothing wrong with running 25 feet of speaker cable, if you use a sufficiently large gauge of wire. I'd use at least 12 AWG, which is widely available as zip cord or twisted pair. You can even use a large gauge extension cord, with the normal AC connectors removed and appropriate speaker connectors installed.

robertbartsch
08-02-2014, 04:21 PM
...thanks.

so where would the 25-foot speaker wire go? ....between the power amp and pre-amp receiver? .....or between power amp and speaker?

How far can I separate the power amp from the pre-amp?

fpitas
08-02-2014, 04:27 PM
I meant put the power amp near the preamp, and run the 25 feet of wire out to the speaker. A long run of RCA cable is generally a bad idea, and if the preamp and amp are separated enough to be on different outlets you can get hum in the system.

Mr. Widget
08-03-2014, 01:42 PM
You can run 25' of single ended (RCA) cables... especially for subs. I would recommend going this route with a shorter speaker wire run.

Widget

fpitas
08-03-2014, 01:52 PM
You can run 25' of single ended (RCA) cables... especially for subs. I would recommend going this route with a shorter speaker wire run.

Widget

Hi Widget,

What's your reasoning? Do you think the speaker wire resistance will increase the Q of the sub, or...?

Francis

Mr. Widget
08-03-2014, 02:12 PM
Hi Widget,

What's your reasoning? Do you think the speaker wire resistance will increase the Q of the sub, or...?

FrancisTwo reasons... large gauge speaker wire costs more than basic coax which is all that is needed for subwoofers... and, yes the negative performance impacts of long speaker runs is greater especially at the low end than the negatives of moderate distances of line level runs.

Widget

fpitas
08-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Two reasons... large gauge speaker wire costs more than basic coax which is all that is needed for subwoofers... and, yes the negative performance impacts of long speaker runs is greater especially at the low end than the negatives of moderate distances of line level runs.

Widget

OK; thanks.