PDA

View Full Version : Studios replaced the Urei 813, with what monitors ?

MerlinVSM
07-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Studios replace the famous Urei 813 what have these been repaced with. Brand , type ?
Just curious.

May go for a pair of Urei, however, before I need to investigate other options. Abbey Road using Quested.

Any input appreciated.

Lee in Montreal
07-28-2014, 03:27 PM
The Urei 813 was only one out of dozens and dozens of monitors. So, it is a difficult question to answer. Just type "studio monitor" and you will have an extensive list of contenders. ;-) If you can buy a set of 813, why not get them, spend some time with them and resell them for something else later?

Mr. Widget
07-28-2014, 09:42 PM
May go for a pair of Urei, however, before I need to investigate other options. Abbey Road using Quested.If you believe the ads and claims, Abbey Road must have a large storage area with a pair of almost every contender out there.;)

Widget

martin2395
07-29-2014, 04:22 AM
Abbey Road uses B&W 800, 801's and 802's in their studio's.

I'd say if the price is right, just buy the Urei's. If they won't suit your taste you can always sell them without losing money (or you could even make a small profit) and it will be an interesting experience for sure.
You can read tons of reviews and opinions but you will never know how a speakers sounds in your own listening room and with your own ears. ;)

Lee in Montreal
07-29-2014, 01:56 PM
BTW Merlin

There are so many great studio monitors out there, and I think most of them deserve to be heard. That's part of the audiophile experience. Some highly praised monitors will also sound boring while some underdogs will be exciting. I definitely recommend you spend a few months with a set of Urei and report. They would be on my list of speakers I'd like to hear. Some Fostex LS/4 too, and many others. Then I will die a fullfilled man ;-)

And BTW don't be put off by the new generation of very compact monitors (I have Genelec in mind). They do have some qualities thanks to digital processing.

martin2395
07-29-2014, 02:54 PM
Also don't forget the german ADAM Audio monitors, I heard them en to me they are great!
They use very good Eton woofers and AMT tweeters.

MerlinVSM
07-30-2014, 11:03 AM
I am evaluating buying a pair of Urei 813 for about 3000USD, however, the capacitors in filters may need to be replaced due to age,
the size of these may be difficult to accomodate and these does not look so good.

If the old 604 unit s replaced with the new GPA 604 these may sound very good, howeve, price for that upgrade appr. 2000USD. Well, the option is going for a pair of new studio monitors between 3000-6000USD.

Any recommendation to continue the Urei rod or go for a pair new units and brand appreciated.

martin2395
07-30-2014, 11:52 AM
3000 is too much if they are not perfect and refurbished, unless you really want them.
The latest 813 with "C" prefix dropped the Altec unit in favor of a JBL E140 with coaxial mounted 2425 compression driver and it is the most desirable version.

What are you planning to do with them, use them in a studio or home listening environment?
For 3-6l USD there must be tons of better speakers, even JBL 4344/4345 or the newer Array 1400, maybe some smaller K2's would fit your budget.
Don't forget big Tannoys too! I saw the dual "15 Tannoy FSM going for around €2000 @ pair.

MerlinVSM
07-30-2014, 12:08 PM
3000 is too much if they are not perfect and refurbished, unless you really want them.
The latest 813 with "C" prefix dropped the Altec unit in favor of a JBL E140 with coaxial mounted 2425 compression driver and it is the most desirable version.

What are you planning to do with them, use them in a studio or home listening environment?
For 3-6l USD there must be tons of better speakers, even JBL 4344/4345 or the newer Array 1400, maybe some smaller K2's would fit your budget.
Don't forget big Tannoys too! I saw the dual "15 Tannoy FSM going for around €2000 @ pair.

To be used in home listning environment with an Altec 9440A Power amplifier . If it wasn't for that these are huge I already would have bought
these a tested just for quriousity. I like the sound of this amplifier and was start look into the old Altec speaker/monitors

Thanks for suggestions.

martin2395
07-30-2014, 12:33 PM
I think that if you really want an Altec coax then you should maybe order the GPA units and build the cabinets and filters yourself ;)

MerlinVSM
07-30-2014, 01:08 PM
I think that if you really want an Altec coax then you should maybe order the GPA units and build the cabinets and filters yourself ;)

That the unit I really would like to use.

Evaluate to build by myself but difficult to find cabinet drawings . Have asked GPA but referred to Internet
If I could find a supplier and buy competed cabinets or a kit just to put together than it would certainly be an option.

NickH
07-31-2014, 05:32 AM
There are plenty of cabinet plans for the 604 floating around. Look in the library section under altec and plans. There also the Stonehenge cabinets too. They aren't small either but aren't as big as a 813. Word of advise, 604's on there own are a bit bass anemic.

Nick

Goldjazz
08-01-2014, 08:08 PM
I'm interested in Urei's, I'm not a studio guy or an expert of any kind. When I was in Japan recently I had the chance to listen to some 813Bx's briefly and some 811C's. Actually the 813Bx's didn't really blow me away in the short listening session. Maybe they didn't sound as extended in the low end as the big altecs and jbls i was listening to. This may still be cool for studio stuff i guess. I went over there seriously considering getting them, but went for 4343's instead. I also stumbled across this immaculate little repair shop where a guy was fixing a bunch of nice vintage amps, he had some 811c just set up on the floor playing jazz, man they sounded nice. The range was also really limited but they were just really clear and clean. I know it's loony evaluating such things with youtube clips but here's Kenrick messing around with a pair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol7ZmaiAAB0

script56
11-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Pair of 813 on the bay for $600 !!

martin2395
11-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Cheap but there is something wrong with the woofers.

Are the new JBL oem recones blue/purple or are those China knockoffs? I saw a pair of 4435's here and I wonder if those are genuine recones.
http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/audio-tv-en-foto/luidsprekers/m862715836-jbl-4435-studio-monitor-luidsprekers.html

speakerdave
11-06-2014, 07:28 AM
The Altec duplex used in the early UREI monitors is the 604-8G, but the horn is different and the crossover is not Altec but UREI and is time aligned. I've not heard them (though I'm very familiar with the stock unit), but what I wanted to say is I'm also very familiar with the Tannoy SGM10B and the Manley Labs version which uses the same coax unit with a time aligned crossover. It definitely matters. Although the value of time alignment is sometimes debated, I think in a coaxial driver it is unquestionably a worthwhile improvement.