PDA

View Full Version : surround sound with 4350's

traveler
07-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Hi Everyone
My 4350's have been finally restored and on the way to my new home in Fiji.This forum in the past recommended a JBL Array 880 for a centre speaker. I am having trouble locating this item and I am wondering if the LC2 Studio L series could be a replacement?
I also would like some suggestions as to what side/rear/ and high speakers (the ones above the mains) I could use? I guess the other words, the rest of the speaker system. I understand that the sides and rears should be dipole as recommended by THX.
I am using a Integra THX 70.3 AV amplifier with the pre-out for the 4350's to a pair of Rotel RB 991 THX power amps.I would value any help as this will be the last system I put together due to health and age.But I still love my music and movies.
Have a great day.

hjames
07-04-2014, 04:46 PM
I had an ALL JBL surround system setup downstairs a while back,
with a pair of biamped 4341 Monitors as Mains, L100T3s for Sides and L20T rears -
and I used an LC2 for center ... seemed like a good combination!

Hi Everyone
My 4350's have been finally restored and on the way to my new home in Fiji.This forum in the past recommended a JBL Array 880 for a centre speaker. I am having trouble locating this item and I am wondering if the LC2 Studio L series could be a replacement?
I also would like some suggestions as to what side/rear/ and high speakers (the ones above the mains) I could use? I guess the other words, the rest of the speaker system. I understand that the sides and rears should be dipole as recommended by THX.
I am using a Integra THX 70.3 AV amplifier with the pre-out for the 4350's to a pair of Rotel RB 991 THX power amps.I would value any help as this will be the last system I put together due to health and age.But I still love my music and movies.
Have a great day.

rdgrimes
07-04-2014, 08:05 PM
I wouldn't call an LC2 a "replacement" for an Array 880, but its a good speaker. Another good option would be the PC600, but that's as hard to find as the 880.

Retroman
07-05-2014, 08:26 AM
Call Audio Video Logic and/or another authorized dealer and special order the Array 880. I just ordered a 4365C subwoofer from a dealer and it took only 2 weeks to arrive. It has the construction quality and performance level to match your 4350s.

1audiohack
07-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Hi traveler;

I realize that you didn't really ask about what to use for a center. Having thought about offering an unsolicited opinion for several days, I decided I think I will.

Unfortunately building a single woofer 2235-2202-2440 (tel:2235-2202-2440)/2311/2308-2405 sounds like its not in the cards following you stated age/health. That is what I would personally do, being me and not you.

I love the Arrays but to my ears they don't have that large format presentation, at all. I don't even have to get through the door to tell which are playing. I wouldn't consider combining them in an LCR setup.

All the best,
Barry.