PDA

View Full Version : Radiance 123's. why should I care?

Dja
07-02-2014, 06:57 PM
I recently picked up a pair of Radiance 123's for free that came with the original boxes and paperwork. The mids and woofers needed a re-foam, which I did. For some reason I blanked and did not check the tweeters, which after getting everything else repaired, are not working. So I am asking myself why should I care about these? They aren't sought after and fetching crazy prices, but they still are JBL's from the 70's. But now I am looking at $150+ for tweeters. Any thoughts on my dilemma would be helpful. I am leaning towards parting them out which breaks my heart to do that to a vintage JBL product.

SEAWOLF97
07-02-2014, 09:03 PM
I recently picked up a pair of Radiance 123's for free that came with the original boxes and paperwork. The mids and woofers needed a re-foam, which I did. For some reason I blanked and did not check the tweeters, which after getting everything else repaired, are not working. So I am asking myself why should I care about these? They aren't sought after and fetching crazy prices, but they still are JBL's from the 70's. But now I am looking at $150+ for tweeters. Any thoughts on my dilemma would be helpful. I am leaning towards parting them out which breaks my heart to do that to a vintage JBL product.

cut your losses. those were not well thought of. Cheap drivers, not worthy of the logo. You can put $150 more in, and they still won't be worth much.

I had some "gifted" to me. The stamped baskets were an immediate red flag. Cabinet construction ..naw. Tin foil like covering on the plinth .. yuk.
Even JBL's other low budget speakers ..BOLIVARS were better , but ...

Some , vintage JBL products did not represent the brand very well.

grumpy
07-02-2014, 09:20 PM
Other than humming 5:15 now...

wait for a cheap pair with wasted woofers and then bite down (hard... for you Ted fans)

pos
07-03-2014, 01:18 AM
The only driver that is worth something in the Radian series is the tweeter, so...

Dja
07-14-2014, 05:04 PM
Well, I found a pair (actually 3) LE25-2's and decided to get the R123's up and running. They just looked too damn nice to not give them a second chance. I don't think they sound that bad, actually pretty good! Running them with a Pioneer sx-850 and getting some nice deep bass out of them. I had been using Decade 36's with it and really enjoy the results. I might have to keep the R123's for the garage or I am sure my 10 yr old would love to have them in his bedroom with his Nikko 1219.

Now time to rebuild the L80t's.