PDA

View Full Version : Hook up wire size and inductor choice.

warpig
06-23-2014, 12:38 PM
Hello All

I have been putting together some components to build a charged coupled network for a pair of JBL L300's.

I was always in the school of thought that the bigger the cable (lower awg) the better it is. I understand about the length vs awg thought process also. But as I have been doing research some say the the bigger (lower awg) hook up wire is not necessarily a good thing. The original wire looks to be either 14 or 16 not sure. I guess the question is what size hook up wire should I use? I know it may be system dependent. I purchased some 16awg silver plated mil-spec wire but it looks rather small. Should I go to 14 or lower? The power amp I am using is 600 watts a channel.

Price not figured in would it be foil or air core inductors? The foil inductors don't seem to be that much more than the air core.

Thanks

Mr. Widget
06-23-2014, 01:05 PM
Hello All

I have been putting together some components to build a charged coupled network for a pair of JBL L300's.

I was always in the school of thought that the bigger the cable (lower awg) the better it is. I understand about the length vs awg thought process also. But as I have been doing research some say the the bigger (lower awg) hook up wire is not necessarily a good thing. The original wire looks to be either 14 or 16 not sure. I guess the question is what size hook up wire should I use? I know it may be system dependent. I purchased some 16awg silver plated mil-spec wire but it looks rather small. Should I go to 14 or lower? The power amp I am using is 600 watts a channel.

Price not figured in would it be foil or air core inductors? The foil inductors don't seem to be that much more than the air core.

ThanksI use 12 ga foil air core inductors for any large value and even for some of the smaller ones... for hook up wire within the network 16 ga is fine. For internal wiring within the speaker I use 12ga speaker wire.

This is not based on any empirical data. It is just what I have done for years and I have been happy with it.

Widget

warpig
06-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Mr. Widget

Thanks for the reply. Another question if I may. The inductors are supposed to be a certain angle and I see the distance is supposed to matter also. With 5 inductors this could take up a lot of space. How is this managed or is it just a mith for the most part?

Again Thanks

Mr. Widget
06-23-2014, 10:38 PM
Mr. Widget

Thanks for the reply. Another question if I may. The inductors are supposed to be a certain angle and I see the distance is supposed to matter also. With 5 inductors this could take up a lot of space. How is this managed or is it just a mith for the most part?

Again ThanksThere is a lot of snake oil out there... some people hear things that are inaudible, and then there are some seriously crazy notions running around on the internet.

That said, as a current runs through a coil inductive currents flow and if a second properly aligned coil is near by, induction occurs... hence the name. Induction will transfer energy from one coil to another and will definitely change the characteristics of a circuit. To minimize this you want to keep your coils away from each other and you want near by coils to be at right angles to each other. The current drops off significantly in a relatively short distance.

Widget

warpig
06-25-2014, 11:58 AM
Mr. Widget as always thanks for the info it is appreciated.

Thanks