PDA

View Full Version : 4350's Rescued from Destruction

yksledder
06-11-2014, 04:31 PM
I just picked up my 2nd set of 4350's, rescuing them from a rough life & eventual destruction. :blink: These were originally the early Utility version with Aquaplas 2230A's, same as my other set. They were modified for PA use approx 20 years ago, tri-amped with Fane 15B's, JBL E120 & 2405's & Radian 2", with Belisle horns. Everybody wants self-powered for small PA now, so these had been unused in storage for the past few years & being surplussed.

My plan is to repair/restore them, big job but a good winter project.:bouncy: Will never have the value of a pristine unmolested set, so may take some liberties with mods :)

NickH
06-12-2014, 11:05 AM
A killer score nun the less. Nice save.

Nick

yksledder
06-16-2014, 07:06 PM
I'm surprised only one post? Thanks Nick!

Ross

1audiohack
06-16-2014, 09:33 PM
I'm surprised only one post?...

For me I didn't know what to say. On one hand its kind of finding an animal so badly injured you don't know if you should try to save it or if its better off dead.

The flip side is that the 2311/2308 is a weak point and while I wouldn't consider modifying mine, you are pretty free to experiment with those.

What are you thinking of loading them with once you get them structurally sound? Are they still rigid?

Barry.

audiomagnate
06-17-2014, 06:50 AM
I'm surprised only one post? Thanks Nick!

Ross

For me I didn't know what to say. On one hand its kind of finding an animal so badly injured you don't know if you should try to save it or if its better off dead.

The flip side is that the 2311/2308 is a weak point and while I wouldn't consider modifying mine, you are pretty free to experiment with those.

What are you thinking of loading them with once you get them structurally sound? Are they still rigid?

Barry.

The cabinets look good to me. I didn't respond because I was so jealous I might have said something inappropriate.

yksledder
06-19-2014, 05:50 AM

That pretty much sums it up alright! :crying:

The cabinets look good to me. I didn't respond because I was so jealous I might have said something inappropriate.

Nothing wrong with inappropriate :D

The cabinets are very solid & the wood corners are pristine under those metal covers & joints good, not split. I have been after these for awhile now, originally wanted them to use as Subs, reducing the load on the 2230A's in my good set. But might as well complete them as I have spare 2 x 2405, 2 x 2308, 1 x 2311, 1 x 2202, 1 x 2230A (reconed 2235 with mass ring), 1 x 3107, & enough compatible baskets to make more 2235's.

For mods, biggest is 3 or 4 way active x-over with DSP & try different 2" drivers, see how they compare with that horn/lens. My PA buddy has different brands I could borrow to evaluate, EV, Radian & B&C. Plan to repair & fill all holes, panel voids but sure tempting to leave recessed handles & wheels ;), & then veneer to cover repairs. I'm partial to Birch or Oak & cover front baffle as well for a different look.

Looking for 1 x 2311, 1 x 2202, & maybe 2 x 2440. Anybody know where to find original speaker mounting hardware, etc? Found Foilcal & badges on the bay but no hardware.

Probably won't be able to start until winter but will post progress pics. :)

Ross

ivica
06-19-2014, 07:09 AM

Anybody know where to find original speaker mounting hardware, etc? Found Foilcal & badges on the bay but no hardware.
Ross

Hi Ross,

JBL MA15 Speaker mounting kit ( 2235, 2202)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-MA15-Speaker-Mounting-Kit-Ma-15-/310177941406?pt=US_Stands_Mounts_Holders&hash=item48380bc79e

regards
ivica

NickH
06-19-2014, 12:00 PM
Considering what those bad boys sell for, it would have to be a loose pile of lumber before I'd say it was a lose cause.

But that's just my 2 cents. There speakers I would never be lucky enough to get. But one day I plan on building a pair. I need some smaller speakers then what I currently run, lol.

I alway though that horn lens sounded pretty good. I've never heard them on a 4350. But a buddy runs them on his onkens.

I bet those will clean up good. Do you think you will try and put veneer on them or just paint?

Nick

Earl K
06-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Hi Ross,

What's the story behind so many 4350's appearing in such an isolated location like yours ?

I'm wondering if you can maybe connect with some of the eco-tourism folks ( bringing Asians in & out of your area ).

These tourists may want some bona-fide large box JBL's to take home with them .

I've gotta believe that currently no-one in Japan ( or other ? ) would be able to brag about sourcing a set from such an unlikely locale as the Canadian North .

:)

1audiohack
06-20-2014, 09:47 AM
Funny that mine also came from Canada. Mine were also used as tools of the trade and have the scars to prove it. As a guy who likes stuff with a story to tell, like unrestored race cars, I am content to keep them in their presentable state.

I missed a pair of 2440's with horns and brackets for 4350's on them on the bay because I got busy and forgot to bid,:banghead:. With the pictures gleaned from that sale and a few others I am going to make the horn/driver support brackets for mine and it wouldn't be hard to make you a pair if yours are missing them.

I haven't found badges for mine yet, where did you find yours?

All the best,
Barry.

BeDome
06-21-2014, 02:14 AM
It has literally been years since I have "rescued" treasure from trash or what ever.

I say super congrats on a really cool find! Just try to set them right or find some one who will, but find a way to renew them.

Very cool find!

JoeNelis
06-22-2014, 04:18 AM
I just picked up my 2nd set of 4350's, rescuing them from a rough life & eventual destruction. :blink: These were originally the early Utility version with Aquaplas 2230A's, same as my other set. They were modified for PA use approx 20 years ago, tri-amped with Fane 15B's, JBL E120 & 2405's & Radian 2", with Belisle horns. Everybody wants self-powered for small PA now, so these had been unused in storage for the past few years & being surplussed.

My plan is to repair/restore them, big job but a good winter project.:bouncy: Will never have the value of a pristine unmolested set, so may take some liberties with mods :)

Wow!! They have had a hard life. Good luck with the rescue and restoration.

yksledder
06-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Thanks Ivica for the link, am ordering some:)

Considering what those bad boys sell for, it would have to be a loose pile of lumber before I'd say it was a lose cause.

I bet those will clean up good. Do you think you will try and put veneer on them or just paint? Nick

Yes I agree but lucky it's not loose lumber:applaud: You can buy all the parts to build a 70 Chevelle SS but it's not the same as restoring an original factory unit, it will always be worth more.

Yes I want to veneer, not sure if my skills are good enough, so may try to hire someone for that part :dont-know:

Hi Ross,

What's the story behind so many 4350's appearing in such an isolated location like yours ?

I'm wondering if you can maybe connect with some of the eco-tourism folks ( bringing Asians in & out of your area ).

These tourists may want some bona-fide large box JBL's to take home with them .

I've gotta believe that currently no-one in Japan ( or other ? ) would be able to brag about sourcing a set from such an unlikely locale as the Canadian North .

:)

Yellowknife has always had a huge music scene & being the capital of the territory, HQ for multiple PA & Recording Studio's (back in the multi-track tape days). Back 22 years ago, I saw 4 of these units in the used section of a large Edmonton music store, mentioned it to my buddy in the business & he bought them! I didn't even know what they were then! I have finally got them all from him now.

WE have a huge Japanese tourism thing going on here, need to figure how to capitalize :D

Funny that mine also came from Canada. Mine were also used as tools of the trade and have the scars to prove it. As a guy who likes stuff with a story to tell, like unrestored race cars, I am content to keep them in their presentable state.

I missed a pair of 2440's with horns and brackets for 4350's on them on the bay because I got busy and forgot to bid,:banghead:. With the pictures gleaned from that sale and a few others I am going to make the horn/driver support brackets for mine and it wouldn't be hard to make you a pair if yours are missing them.

I haven't found badges for mine yet, where did you find yours?

All the best,
Barry.

Wouldn't mind seeing pics of your set Barry. 2440's come up every so often, also keep your eyes on Canuckaudiomart.com , I think I've seen some on there.

I sure could use a set of horn brackets but I think I'd have to make a trip to Vegas to pick them up :bouncy:

Here ya go http://www.ebay.ca/itm/JBL-Monitor-Grill-Badges-4300-series-NICE-/260787277757?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3cb8220fbd Guy also has Foilcal's & other stuff

Thanks to all for the kind words & encouragement! :)

Cheers,
Ross

JeffW
06-23-2014, 07:58 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing pics of your set Barry.
Cheers,
Ross

His ain't exactly stock ;)

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?34212-4350-empty-cabinets-in-Ontario&p=351235&viewfull=1#post351235