PDA

View Full Version : Questions about my L200's

Alobar
06-02-2014, 10:59 AM
It is my good fortune that my JBL L200's are definitely coming back home with me next week, after being at my oldest brothers home for the past 30 years! I have been reading everything I can find out about the Studio Master here on this forum over the past week or two including the differences between the A and B models, what others have done to upgrade them, and sadly some information that I probably didn't want to hear about how the design of this model wasn't exactly JBL's finest hour as far as accuracy goes. My first question is:

What is the difference between the L200 (no letter after) and the L200A? According to the Consumer Systems reference chart the crossover on the L200 (the one I have) is the LX-16 and the L200A is the LX-16A. All other parts appear to be the same.
Another question is what would be recommended that I do to improve some of the shortcomings of these speakers considering I have very little money to invest right now? My thoughts on this, based on what I have read so far seems to be that there are two main routes. One, change out the LE15B with a different woofer, change out the crossover, possibly change out the horn by sawing out a hole in the back and building a box over it, and finally install a 077 above the horn. The second one that I have been thinking I might actually be able to do without breaking the bank would be to keep the LE15B's, buy a equalizer to help compensate for the "boombox" issue. Then strip the 077's I have in my L65 Jubals and install them in the 200's and build a N8000 crossover to accommodate the 077. Looking for opinions on this second approach considering I always liked my L200's sound, likely because I always played classic rock through them and that I was in my 20's at the time could have been a factor as well. Today my tastes are still pretty much the same, maybe a bit mellower and certainly at lower volume levels. I don't listen to classical music at all. I guess the purpose of this post is to look for ways to improve the sound of these speakers with as little money as possible with the consideration that I could take the 077's out of the L65's.
Thanks!

hjames
06-02-2014, 11:25 AM
Do it in stages.
Build the 3133 style crossover network, once that's done, drill a hole on the
baffleboard and add the slot tweeter to the mix. Or don't drill the baffleboard,
just put the slot tweeter on a wood mount and rest it on top like I did ...
I actually used a nice pair of wood plates I got as part of 2 banana stands at the grocery store!
The crossover and slot tweeter add high end response to the design and will be the biggest modernizing touch.

Later on you can bump-out the cabinet and swap your short horn for a long horn ... clean up the vocals a bit.

Swap the woofer last, if you like ... If you like the bass the box produces now, why change it?

The system is pretty efficient and doesn't need tons of power to play well.

It is my good fortune that my JBL L200's are definitely coming back home with me next week, after being at my oldest brothers home for the past 30 years! I have been reading everything I can find out about the Studio Master here on this forum over the past week or two including the differences between the A and B models, what others have done to upgrade them, and sadly some information that I probably didn't want to hear about how the design of this model wasn't exactly JBL's finest hour as far as accuracy goes. My first question is:

What is the difference between the L200 (no letter after) and the L200A? According to the Consumer Systems reference chart the crossover on the L200 (the one I have) is the LX-16 and the L200A is the LX-16A. All other parts appear to be the same.
Another question is what would be recommended that I do to improve some of the shortcomings of these speakers considering I have very little money to invest right now? My thoughts on this, based on what I have read so far seems to be that there are two main routes. One, change out the LE15B with a different woofer, change out the crossover, possibly change out the horn by sawing out a hole in the back and building a box over it, and finally install a 077 above the horn. The second one that I have been thinking I might actually be able to do without breaking the bank would be to keep the LE15B's, buy a equalizer to help compensate for the "boombox" issue. Then strip the 077's I have in my L65 Jubals and install them in the 200's and build a N8000 crossover to accommodate the 077. Looking for opinions on this second approach considering I always liked my L200's sound, likely because I always played classic rock through them and that I was in my 20's at the time could have been a factor as well. Today my tastes are still pretty much the same, maybe a bit mellower and certainly at lower volume levels. I don't listen to classical music at all. I guess the purpose of this post is to look for ways to improve the sound of these speakers with as little money as possible with the consideration that I could take the 077's out of the L65's.
Thanks!

Alobar
06-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Thanks hjames, I guess I should learn more about the various crossovers and which will work with my current drivers before I get started. Doesn't keeping the LE15B limit what crossovers will work, particularly with the existing horn? I do agree that I'll be doing any upgrades to these in stages, just need to have a good plan in place first so I won't limit myself later on.

HCSGuy
06-02-2014, 04:20 PM
I did it a little differently. I inherited from my father a pair of LE15A's, LE85's, HL91 horns and LX5 crossovers, which I had to promise never to sell. I put them in a pair of restored L200 cabinets, then put a protective capacitor on the LE85's, boxed the LX5's up and put them away, then added an active crossover and a 2nd amp to biamp them. This way I could play with the crossover between the drivers (there's nothing special about the standard JBL crossovers in these speakers). I was thrilled as I got a pretty big increase in sound quality for no money, as I already had caps, a crossover, and a decent 2nd power amp lying around. If you're trying to run these of a mid grade A/V receiver, you can't do what I did. Otherwise, though, you could look on eBay for a used JBL M552 or M553 (Which would let you add a 3rd amp and your 077's. Anyway, just an idea to play with. Remember to put protective capacitors on any compression or ring radiator drivers you put in, to protect them from DC or turn on thumps from your amps.

Have fun!

Alobar
06-02-2014, 06:39 PM
I did it a little differently. I inherited from my father a pair of LE15A's, LE85's, HL91 horns and LX5 crossovers, which I had to promise never to sell. I put them in a pair of restored L200 cabinets, then put a protective capacitor on the LE85's, boxed the LX5's up and put them away, then added an active crossover and a 2nd amp to biamp them. This way I could play with the crossover between the drivers (there's nothing special about the standard JBL crossovers in these speakers). I was thrilled as I got a pretty big increase in sound quality for no money, as I already had caps, a crossover, and a decent 2nd power amp lying around. If you're trying to run these of a mid grade A/V receiver, you can't do what I did. Otherwise, though, you could look on eBay for a used JBL M552 or M553 (Which would let you add a 3rd amp and your 077's. Anyway, just an idea to play with. Remember to put protective capacitors on any compression or ring radiator drivers you put in, to protect them from DC or turn on thumps from your amps.

Have fun!

Yes it is going to be fun indeed! Interesting stuff you did to your 200's. As for my amp, here is what is coming with the L200's. http://tinyurl.com/Kenwood-700 Mine is NOT going to be in this ones condition and is likely to take all my audio funds for the foreseeable future as it currently doesn't work. I also bought it new in 75 for around $1500 and was supposed to be Kenwoods top of the line amp. Now collectors are all over them as they are supposedly rare and have a great sound. This one at 170 wpc sure did the job with my L200's.. my ears still are ringing! :crying: Thanks for the bi amp ideas

Don C
06-02-2014, 07:40 PM
There is a lot in the archives about these speakers, and you should search and learn. Here's one interesting thread.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?757 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?757)

Alobar
06-02-2014, 08:06 PM
There is a lot in the archives about these speakers, and you should search and learn. Here's one interesting thread.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?757 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?757)
Hi Don, yes that is exactly what I have been doing and I have discovered and learned quite a bit in the past week or two. I read this link the other evening and it touches on one of my questions but doesn't quite answer it. There are actually 3 different versions of the L200 but all the comparisons I have found seem to be between the A and B versions. I was wanting to understand the difference between the crossover on the L200 and the L200A. All the other components on these two versions appear to be identical.

Don C
06-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Here's the schematic, showing the differences.

Alobar
06-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Here's the schematic, showing the differences.

Thanks, that answers my question! :)