PDA

View Full Version : JBL C34 help

BeachDynamics
05-28-2014, 10:07 AM
Newbie here and I am sure this has been previously discussed. If so, my apologies.

I am the proud owner of two JBL C34's. The nameplate states: "C34 Enclosure" and the sn's are 10519 and 12157; not exaxtly consecutive. May have been the era transforming to two channel. I greatly appreciate some help with some questions:

1. Did JBL manufacture the cabinets or are they kits/counterfeits? How can I tell? The look exceptionally well built like a manufactured product but show signs of modifications.

2. They're 3-ways using and unmarked crossover for woofer to a monster-sized CD/short horn and LX5 crossovers (sn 21852 and 21891) to the hi freq bullet tweeter. Sight unseen, I speculate the driver compliment is D130, 175 CD/horn, and 075 tweeter. Literature search shows this to be an option but, are these likely to have been added aftermarket?

3. I would like to remove the grills for inspection. Is the grill cloth removed via inside or can it be removed from the outside?

4. Please feel free to add any pertinent info.

Thanks for all your help.

Mark

Mannermusic
05-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Newbie here and I am sure this has been previously discussed. If so, my apologies.

I am the proud owner of two JBL C34's. The nameplate states: "C34 Enclosure" and the sn's are 10519 and 12157; not exaxtly consecutive. May have been the era transforming to two channel. I greatly appreciate some help with some questions:

1. Did JBL manufacture the cabinets or are they kits/counterfeits? How can I tell? The look exceptionally well built like a manufactured product but show signs of modifications.

2. They're 3-ways using and unmarked crossover for woofer to a monster-sized CD/short horn and LX5 crossovers (sn 21852 and 21891) to the hi freq bullet tweeter. Sight unseen, I speculate the driver compliment is D130, 175 CD/horn, and 075 tweeter. Literature search shows this to be an option but, are these likely to have been added aftermarket?

3. I would like to remove the grills for inspection. Is the grill cloth removed via inside or can it be removed from the outside?

4. Please feel free to add any pertinent info.

Thanks for all your help.

Mark

Sounds to me like someone has been messin'! In the 60's at least, those were all one-way or two-way loads. The favorites were 001 or 030. 001 = 130A + 175DLH with N1200 crossover. 030 = D130 + 075 with N2400. I never took one apart (re grille removal) - I guess you know those are rear loading horn enclosures which is of significant historical value - to me at least. Others will add to this basic info. Welcome to the site! Mike

BeachDynamics
05-29-2014, 05:35 AM
I am GUESING that it was mono and the owner (fyi: I am 2nd owner) upgraded to 2 channel (see non-consecutive sn's). I am guessing (again!) that the original was D130/175 (01 configuration) and then he upgraded by adding the 075/LX5. But, the original my have been D130/075.

I think the speakers have historical value and consequently, wish to restore to their original configuration.....if I can determine what the original configuration was.

To anyone else: I still need help with the original questions or where I can conduct research/find info. Thanks.....Mark

Mannermusic
05-29-2014, 07:07 AM
I am GUESING that it was mono and the owner (fyi: I am 2nd owner) upgraded to 2 channel (see non-consecutive sn's). I am guessing (again!) that the original was D130/175 (01 configuration) and then he upgraded by adding the 075/LX5. But, the original my have been D130/075.

I think the speakers have historical value and consequently, wish to restore to their original configuration.....if I can determine what the original configuration was.

To anyone else: I still need help with the original questions or where I can conduct research/find info. Thanks.....Mark

The plot sickens:)! I think you are onto something - but the LX5 is a 500 Hz bass Xover. The 075 would need the N7000 (7K Hz). What's in there now? The S8 system was LE15A + 375 CD with short horn + 075 tweet. Crossovers would be LX5 and N7000, as mentioned above. But, yes there is stuff in the data base. Do a search using C34 and see what you find. Sometimes using Google actually is more efficient - will direct you to the best Lansing pages (I think the Lansing data base is pretty, well, basic). Pics will help as well but I think you are on the right track. I know there is a thread on removing that grille . . . if you can find it!