PDA

View Full Version : Paragon

hifiwest
05-14-2014, 08:32 PM
I am new to this forum and trying to find some help on the JBL Paragon system. My father was a JBL dealer in St. Louis, MO during most of the 1960's. During this time, he had JBL make a Paragon for him personally. It was made with Brazilian Rosewood. This is unique as it was a custom finish and believed to be the only one like it as the standard wood option of Rosewood for the Paragon was not Brazilian. It has been in perfect working order through all of these years. He is now in his early 80's and considering a sale of this all original near perfect speaker system. I have looked on ebay and other similar sites and have found limited information. I was able to figure out the number stamp in the wood as well as the serial numbers that are on the paperwork in the back of the system. Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Also, he has a minigon that he may look at selling as well. Again, this one has also been in use in his home all of these years.

Maron Horonzakz
05-15-2014, 07:08 AM
I remember "BENDER" and the rosewood PARAGON,,,Its value can range from about $5000. On the low side to $20,000 on the high side..If you sell on the Pacific Rim..(Japan) Cost of shipping is a bitch..and would need packing crates,,,Make shure you get your money up front first,,, Harvy sold me my Marantz 10B tuner,,, Paragons in St. Louis didn't sell to well..$3000. to $4000. Ive had three PARAGONS plus Ive also made some,,You couldn't tell the difference from the factory units....

Maron Horonzakz
05-15-2014, 07:18 AM
Also KENRICK SOUND in Japan has made a couple of clone PARAGONS,,,selling for about $25,000...With special veneer and chrome plated drivers,,,

oldsoundz
05-15-2014, 09:28 AM
Pictures would be very nice. Maybe even one with your father near the Paragon?

BMWCCA
05-15-2014, 06:26 PM
I remember Hi-Fi Showroom on Clayton and Best Sound on Manchester. Was Hi-Fi West on Lindbergh Blvd in Ladue or Olivette?
I know longer remember everything I knew. :banghead:

Give my best to Harvey. Those truly were the good old days!

Maron Horonzakz
05-16-2014, 07:53 AM
HI FI WEST in OLIVETT,,,,,HI FI SHOWROOM on CLAYTON rd... Both my favorite spots to hang out..... Harvy and J Marshal were great gentleman for putting up with us...Both had PARAGONS on dispay...When Harvey got his rosewood PARAGON,,I was shocked at the beauty of the veneer...

jerry_rig
05-16-2014, 06:54 PM
I bought a pair of LE-15As and a PR kit from Hi-Fi Showroom in 1975. There was also another dealer on Big Bend (Hi-Fi-Fo-Fum) near I-40 from whom I bought some D-123a, LE-20s and a crossover in 1973 to make a pair of monitors I took to college. Those were the days!

sheltiedave
05-18-2014, 05:27 AM
Tell Harvey we all say "Hi"!

If you need any help, feel free to ring me - I live about 25 minutes away in south county. My cell is 314-651-9396. JBL Dog and JBL beer are both local, and they might have contacts to get you into the $$$$ they should command.

You do not want to auction either at a live auction, as the last two Paragons auctioned in Missouri fetched only a third of their value, and then the owner paid a commission fee on top of the low gross. That is not the route to consider. :eek:

Thanks,
Dave

Maron Horonzakz
05-18-2014, 06:55 AM
Auctions of the PARAGONS were a disaster..price wize...But the condition of the speakers also play a role in final price,,,If the LE 15 woofers outer surround is hard and brittle,,Restoration is needed... Outer cabinet must be in good visual condition,,,, I witnessed two in the central west end,, That looked like they were kicked down the steps .. They were pretty chewed up...All this effects the price.. That's why I gave my range of $5000. to $20,000...It depends on condition...

tom1356
05-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Just a heads up.
CITES prohibits exporting Brazilian Rosewood in any form for commercial purposes.
Of course it is perfectly acceptable to sell it in the USA.

Maron Horonzakz
05-22-2014, 06:44 AM
HELL this was 40 years ago,,, I still got some ROSEWOOD I bought from CONSTATINES WOOD SUPPLIES..

JeffW
05-22-2014, 07:25 AM
HELL this was 40 years ago,,, I still got some ROSEWOOD I bought from CONSTATINES WOOD SUPPLIES..

You're fine, just don't try to take it out of the country.

tom1356
05-22-2014, 08:39 AM

CITES only applies to Brazilian Rosewood. Indian Rosewood is still exportable.

Mr. Widget
05-22-2014, 12:49 PM
CITES only applies to Brazilian Rosewood. Indian Rosewood is still exportable.Constantines sold both... I bought plenty of beautiful Brazillian Rosewood back in the day from them. I wish I had stockpiled extra. :(

Widget