PDA

View Full Version : Disassemble JBL 2445 phase plug

andychris
05-13-2014, 10:14 PM
Hello

I would like to know if this is a way to disassemble the pase plug on a jbl 2445,,,,,, and of course is it possible to reassemble it ?

Thanx.....................

Champster
05-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Hello

I would like to know if this is a way to disassemble the phase plug on a jbl 2445,,,,,, and of course is it possible to reassemble it ?

Thanx.....................

I'm not sure about the 2445 but I suspect it is similar to the 2425 which I just successfully rebuilt. The key is to disassemble without damaging the tabs that hold the phase plug together with the other pieces. This is really soft metal which makes it great for reassembling. Then reassemble with care making sure there aren't any sharp spots that the diaphragm will come into contact with while playing.

Why do you want to disassemble it?

andychris
05-14-2014, 01:59 PM
I've removed the metal grid and I would like to make something fine inside the throat and fill the place where the grid was fixed. It's not easy to work inside the throat from the front so I would like to work from the back.

Champster
05-14-2014, 02:38 PM
I'm assuming you've removed your diaphragm already. I positioned the CD upside down on my vice with the jaws wide enough apart so that the sides of the CD were being supported but the phase plug was free to remove. At this point the screen side should be point upward. From the side with the screen, use a 1/2" dowel to reach down and touch the phase plug. Use a small hammer to very gently tap (not hammer) the dowel and the phase plug will fall out. Have a towel under the CD so that it catches the phase plug.

Does that help?

andychris
05-14-2014, 09:38 PM
Ok I will try this. I thought that the phase plug hardly set.

Thanx

more10
05-15-2014, 12:46 PM
If you remove the phase plug, I am very interested to know if there is ringing in it.