PDA

View Full Version : JBL L300 Crossover

ListeningEar
04-25-2014, 01:08 AM
Greetings! This is my first post so 'hello' everyone. I have just recently picked up a pair of JBL L300's (which I have just listed for sale as they are just too big for my standard UK room) and was aware that the speaker terminals have been upgraded at some point in the past but I was wondering if anyone had any images/photos of the crossovers? I am just curious to see whether any modifications have been made to crossover or internal wiring as the wiring looks to be of a very high quality (I have a snake camera that I have inserted through the front port to have a good look inside). Best regards, Craig

audiomagnate
04-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Here you go. Most of the parts are submerged in wax below that top metal plate. I have removed the black perforated metal cover in this photo. I swapped out the top caps for Clarity ESA's (see second photo) and left the stuff in the bottom alone, as a buddy and former Harman tech told me they would never go bad. Mine had the original driver type terminals, which I replaced with modern terminals. Later versions had slightly better terminals, the kind you insert the wire into and twist.

ListeningEar
04-25-2014, 12:05 PM
Excellent, most helpful thank you. I saw elsewhere that there was an indication of a Nelson Pass upgrade, how can you identify this? (Ironically I used to run my old L150's on a Threshold power amp many years ago).

audiomagnate
04-25-2014, 12:14 PM
Excellent, most helpful thank you. I saw elsewhere that there was an indication of a Nelson Pass upgrade, how can you identify this? (Ironically I used to run my old L150's on a Threshold power amp many years ago).

People that do the NP upgrade usually use a whole new board and leave the stock crossover alone, which makes a lot of sense.