PDA

View Full Version : JBL LSR6332 Cleaning Drivers

stu34
04-19-2014, 02:36 PM
I have a pair of JBL LSR6332 that I just love. They do not come with grills so the drivers are getting dusty. My question is what can I use to clean the dust off that will not hurt the drivers? I did a search but could not find an answer to that question. Thanks.

pos
04-19-2014, 03:06 PM
I use a paint brush to clean my drivers, works quite well...
While you are at it, you should remove the drivers and check the cross brace: I recently got a pair of LSR32 cabs, and the cross brace was not properly glued (anymore?) to the back in both cabs.

stu34
04-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Good idea, I will pick up some brushes. Thanks for the heads up on the cross brace, I had to turn the mid/high sub-baffle and while I had it out I took a look inside and everything seemed to look ok and to be in it's place. Thanks again for the brushes idea.

L.H. Nick
04-19-2014, 09:07 PM
How about getting a can of compressed air, the kind you use to dust PCs, and giving them a quick blast? Works fine on my drivers.

speakerdave
04-19-2014, 09:38 PM
A horsehair brush on a vacuum cleaner hose works for me.

When I got my LSR32's (used) the can sub enclosure for the midrange had no gasket.

pos
04-20-2014, 12:51 AM
I had to turn the mid/high sub-baffle and while I had it out I took a look inside and everything seemed to look ok and to be in it's place.
Have you tried pulling the brace?

How about getting a can of compressed air, the kind you use to dust PCs, and giving them a quick blast? Works fine on my drivers.
Beware of the freezing effect: keep it far enough from the cone (I have had a bad experience with this...)

L.H. Nick
04-20-2014, 01:45 AM
Have you tried pulling the brace?

Beware of the freezing effect: keep it far enough from the cone (I have had a bad experience with this...)

Kein problem. I always keep the tip of the red wand at least five inches from the diaphragm, which still delivers plenty of power for the instant that it is receiving a puff of air. Truly, this isn't a big deal and is far simpler and less intrusive (unless you like that sort of thing) than using a paint brush.

I'll leave it to the artists here to describe the type of brush that is soft enough that they would use it on their tweeters and other delicate drivers. Not all (indeed, perhaps most) paint brushes will make the grade.

Another point is to never blow on the drivers with your mouth! Your saliva will give you a quick and perhaps irreversible lesson in the law of unintended consequences!

stu34
04-24-2014, 03:41 PM
I double checked and everything in there is tight, maybe the first owners took care of the braces. The paint brush worked great, they look better then now then when I got them. I went over the tweeters very lightly, most of the dust was on the woofers.

Can't seem to stop listening to them....