PDA

View Full Version : 3 Way Project

luxmanlover
10-23-2004, 12:07 PM
Here's a couple pics of the tri-amped 3 way I finally finished.
Kelly

speakerdave
10-23-2004, 12:11 PM
Nice looking cabinet. I'd like to know more about the drivers.

Also the horn. Did you make it? Based on what drawings?

Thanks for the pics.

David

John
10-23-2004, 12:17 PM
Very nice indeed,but you have to tell us more.
Give us a full report.about the speakers not the white stuff outside. I was in toon town on fri. and did not like it.:eek:

Earl K
10-23-2004, 12:26 PM
Hi Kelly

Very Nice ! :yes:

Glad to see some construction going on in the prairies . :D

Have you already made grills ? If so , how about a pic with the grills on .

<> Earl K :)

( I guess you gave up on making those Pi boxes sound acceptable - yes / no ? )

majick47
10-23-2004, 12:51 PM
Luxmanlover VERY nice and I'm sure they sound terrific. Also tell us about your amps etc.

luxmanlover
10-23-2004, 01:08 PM
"(I guess you gave up on making those Pi boxes sound acceptable - yes / no ? )"

Thought I better answer that one right away. I always liked some aspects of the Pi's. The model I built wasn't to my taste and in retrospect I know why. It was the Eminence horn/driver combo. Even the JBL 2421 didn't sound anywhere near as good on the plastic horn as it does on my homemade jobbies. Also I'm currently using Waynes recomendation of 4 cu' for the 2235H instead of JBL's 5 cu' which I tried in the previous incarnation of this design and was very unhappy with. The 4cu' cabinets have much tighter sounding bass IMO.
Kelly

Guido
10-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Gorgeous!

Kelly, do you have any plans for that Horn?

Earl K
10-23-2004, 01:41 PM
Hi Kelly

The model I built wasn't to my taste and in retrospect I know why. It was the Eminence horn/driver combo. Even the JBL 2421 didn't sound anywhere near as good on the plastic horn as it does on my homemade jobbies.

Is that plastic horn made by Eminence ? Do you know the model number ?

Salvaging the Pi :
- Now that you've got some experience in horn making - maybe you can make up a horn to replace the plastic "jobbie". Add some Altec 902-8b drivers or even B&C DE-25(s) and redoe that crossover and you've got a completely different beast.

- Also; It seems that your recently stated listening tastes tend to indicate an "ears-preferences" for a certain degree of exponential bell loading within a horn. I'd keep that in mind if you're going to build more horns.

- The horn entrance, back at the throat , can be made to be parabolic with some of the inner bell curve cut out to be "parallel". This gives an approximation of the H9500 or H5500 or even H9800 . Add 3 internal vanes and you're approaching some of the TAD hybrid horn designs .

Also I'm currently using Waynes recomendation of 4 cu' for the 2235H instead of JBL's 5 cu' which I tried in the previous incarnation of this design and was very unhappy with. The 4cu' cabinets have much tighter sounding bass IMO.

I've tended to migrate my own preferences towards smaller / "tighter" boxes. It certainly is a personal matter of taste.
Too bad the current "status quo" in box sizes had you cutting unnecessary wood. ;)

<> Earl K :)

luxmanlover
10-23-2004, 02:16 PM
Hey Earl
The horn in the 4 Pi's that I built was the Eminence H290, a cool looking horn and compact but certainly not to my tastes. It might be better in wood but that's a lot of work to find out. The horn I ended up building wasn't anything special. Just a plain old 2345 JBL cast aluminum ( a real POS casting job if you ask me....lol ) that I had literally holding the garage door open on windy days. I had always wanted to build a wooden horn to try but never got around to it. I had some plans off the net but my not reading Japanese was holding me back. Anyway, after taking a closer look at the 2345 I realized that it would be pretty simple to replicate. The side are straight walled so that greatly simplified fabbing it up in wood (being lazy I didn't want to spend a ton of time on some that might end up sounding like dog stuff, and the alumium version certainly did sound like !@#$ ) I took a plaster cast of the profile and found that it too was constant across the curve. So without getting into a ton of detail (unless someone is interested) of how to build one I "whipped" pair together. As far as drivers I'm pretty happy with the 2470/2421 combo. The TAD look cool but I'm not sure I need all that top end extention. The next step would be to try a super tweet first ( eh Bo) . But all in all I'm just plain out amazed at how this wood horn has smoothed out the sound. CD's that were previously "unlistenable" ie R. L. Burnside "Come On In" certain comes to mind. Great CD, TERRIBLE recording job. I think they used one mike in a bathroom or something...lol .
Kelly

Niklas Nord
10-23-2004, 02:16 PM
Waow :eek: Cool...
THAT must be a loudspeaker with low low or almost no distorsion.
Are you using some SUB1500 below also?

Is that the AL1500 ?

great, like the looks...

can we have more pictures please !!

paragon
10-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Hi Kelly,

Wow, i see a Yamaha Prof amp on the ground, isn`t it ?
You like them ?
Great speaker system. great Luxman amp !!

Eckhard

Ian Mackenzie
10-23-2004, 06:01 PM
Very clean design.

Reminds me of a 3 way Altec I started out with and then the 3 way 2212H using the 2344 Robert Hamell is so rightfully proud of.

Glad to see someone else has woken up to the advantages of the 3 way WMH. The mid cone at least to my ears mitigates all the so called horn/woofer colourations one all too often finds in the 500-1000 region, hell even a 2307/2308 can sound damn fine when the response is actually tweaked flat as. Its so much better and doable than a 2 way if you don't have assess to drivers like the 1500AL JBL Soa horns like the 9800 with a Be driver.

If you can borrow a TAD driver I am sure the results will enlighten.

Ian
:cool:

Mr. Widget
10-23-2004, 07:17 PM
Nice work. That looks cool. :thmbsup:

Time to update the avatar.

Widget

qxlxp
10-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by luxmanlover
So without getting into a ton of detail (unless someone is interested) of how to build one I "whipped" pair together.

i for one am very interested. maybe you could start a new thread describing your construction techniques.

Robh3606
10-24-2004, 08:25 AM
Hey those are nice!!! How do you like the 2123?? Where are you crossing over??

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also I'm currently using Waynes recomendation of 4 cu' for the 2235H instead of JBL's 5 cu' which I tried in the previous incarnation of this design and was very unhappy with. The 4cu' cabinets have much tighter sounding bass IMO.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've tended to migrate my own preferences towards smaller / "tighter" boxes. It certainly is a personal matter of taste."

I agree my boxes are a little undersized, so to speak, although my 2235's are in 5cu.ft. Away from walls they are fine drop them into a corner and wow! Figure you will get some room gain but it seems a funny balance to end up reasonable flat, still have the power down low and still sound tight. I think the room gain is nice but I seems to not have the resolution, power, presence that full extension gives. But then it's hard to place them without loosing that sharp edge you seem to get set-up the other way??

Can you show us how you did your horns?? Those look really nice and if they are kind of simple it would be a great thing to have up so others could try.

Rob:)

luxmanlover
10-24-2004, 08:58 AM
I can do a write up on building horns. I'll have to fake a few pictures as I don't like having the camera in shop when it's up to the rafters in dust. But sure there seems to be some interest and this forum is all about trading ideas and such. I'm kind of in mid of a big reno project so it might take me a while to get my !@#$ together.
As far as crossing over the drivers I still prefer a very high crossover on the 2123J. I know it's not text book but crossing it at 5K gives a much warmer sound to sytem as a whole. I cross the 2235H to the 2123J at 300Hz. A different amp might put a whole different spin on it thought (next step). Defianetly a plus of using a active crossover!
Kelly

boputnam
10-26-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by luxmanlover
Defianetly a plus of using a active crossover! Hey, Kelly!! :wave: Great to see you back around the traps...

Nice looking cabinets. What made you decide on the offset to the 2123J, and what active crossover are you using (sorry if I overlooked mention of it)? And, got the same gal-friend who appreciates all the audio work? :hmm:

luxmanlover
10-26-2004, 11:50 AM
Hey Bo... funny you ask about Chantelle. She was "less than pleased" with the previous project that led up to the 3-ways. I posted a pic below of my "31/2" way system that was a dismal failure both esthecally (sp) (SAP) and acoustically. The 31/2's were a touch over 4' tall then had the mid and horn section stacked on top. The GF freaked and dug in her heals and said noway, my buddies all thought they were cool if they did sound like crap....lol. anyway I dragged them back out to the shop and chopped them down to present system. Should almost started from scratch considering how long it took. No matter, we had so much rain this summer there was no time to golf or do yard work so at least I had something to do.
Kelly
Hey hows your knee doing

Earl K
10-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Hi Kelly

No matter, we had so much rain this summer there was no time to golf or do yard work so at least I had something to do.

Ummm Well, you must not of been trying hard enough. ;)

Even I , ( living 1700 miles away ) was able to get in a few rounds this last summer at Saskatchewans' best new course , the Dakota Dunes ([URL=http://www.dakotadunes.ca/home.html) .

Also, bought the hat :D

- I kinda dig the look of that "twin-15" (oh well ). :p

<> Earl K

Niklas Nord
10-26-2004, 01:13 PM
My good luxmanlover, those are great.
Glad to see pictures also.