PDA

View Full Version : JBL L220 and JBL LE14A/LE14H/LE14H-1 Variations

dinoboom
04-11-2014, 11:49 PM
Dear Friends. hope all is well...

I have a nice Vintage pair of JBL L220 speaker systems. The LE14H's were re-foamed as were the passive radiators. Resistance is 6.1/3 to 6.6 respectively for the LE14H's. One System has slightly more bass and is clearer sounding. I believe it's a problem with the voice coil and not the re-foaming or where they rest. I'm considering replacing the LE14H with the LE14A.
Are these compatible as in.. could I use one LE14H in one system and a LE14A in the other system without compromising sound quality/differences? I see in the Schematic JBL diagrams that if the LE14A non serviceable the LE14H is acceptable replacement. Other than magnet materials what are the differences in the LE14A/LE14H/LE14H-1 or any other variations of the LE14 series? Any other suggestions would be welcomed in order to get these system to meet or exceed there design specs. I'm also aware that all the components in the crossovers are suspect to change in value over time that could affect the sound and that their tolerances are different ±10-20%. As far as re-coning these with JBL re cone kits C8RLE14A at this time this is not financially feasible. Does anyone out there have replacements that are priced reasonably. I need some help sorting this out. Thank you in advance for your care, cooperation and attention to this important sensitive matter. Sincerely, Raffaele

audiomagnate
04-12-2014, 09:07 AM
I've seen where they recommend replacing both drivers if matching of the replacement is critical and they don't here, so you should be fine. The difference you're hearing between the two speakers may not be caused by the woofers. It might be their location in the room or something else. The measurements seem fine.

dinoboom
04-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Dear Friend aka audiomagnate, Thank YOU for making the time to reply and express your thoughts and concerns.
I do not believe this has a thing to do with speaker placement. If it's not in the voice coil in that LE14H then it would most likely have something to do with the crossovers. I suspect though it is VC related and I'm not going to spend $300 plus to get one speaker re coned only to find out the other sounds different.
I can live with a little difference, but this is more than that IMHO. I would not want anyone to have to settle for something in this case "sound quality" that I myself could not find acceptable...it would not be fair to JBL or the listener.

Perhaps someone else can shed some additional light on this matter and discuss the exact differences in the various LE14 models. Considered to be one of the finest low end drivers ever made.

Blessings, from Vermont
Raffaele

Odd
04-12-2014, 09:47 AM
You can see from ts parameters LE14a and LE14h are not equal.
The crossover is the same in L220 (Le14A and L220A (LE14H)
JBL recommends replacing both.

Titanium Dome
04-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Mark Gander, the system engineer from the L220/222, will be at the Third Annual Lansing Heritage Awards this year in Los Angeles.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?34717-Third-Annual-Lansing-Heritage-Awards&p=360719&viewfull=1#post360719

dinoboom
04-12-2014, 11:35 AM
You can see from ts parameters LE14a and LE14h are not equal.
The crossover is the same in L220 (Le14A and L220A (LE14H)
JBL recommends replacing both.
Dear Friend, obviously I'm not an engineer. Where I read the major differences are with the QMS, EFF, PE, XMAX. Which of these parameters should the average person/consumer/listener be most concerned with and which ones would affect the sound quality the most?

In the the JBL Technical Manual L220/L222 Disco. As I read that I was left with the impression that these speakers were interchangeable with negligible differences in sound. Obviously, it would be nice to replace or rebuild them with matching voice coils [D.C. resistance Ohms] and matching sequential serial numbers...that is not the case here.

So, somehow I need to make the best possible choices considering financial limitations for one thing. And actually how much difference am I really going to be able to hear/detect with the human ear between a pair of L220's with one LE14H and one LE14A?

Further,what does the LE14H-1 [one] signify? Is that yet another variation in the design of this model?

I have spoke with both the Pro JBL and Consumer JBL divisions and I'm still confused whether these drivers will work well enough in the L220's? The consumer group initially located in India I think? told me the actual size of the cones were different in terms of inches.

The thing that happened apparently is that the consumer was able to buy and install the re cone kits, but so many were being done improperly that JBL decided it had to be done through a dealer. Which tacks on a minimum $100.00 in addition to the re cone kit itself which hovers around $186.00 and change. This would not include the shipping costs and the risk of shipping them and possible misalignment of the magnet which would be a death blow to the driver/speaker is my understanding. For me your talking a minimum of a 152-173 kilometers one way to get to the nearest "authorized" JBL speaker repair center.

With this additional information would you be so kind as to share with me the best and worst case scenarios for this situation? And how I could possible make the best of what's practical and affordable. While still being able to maintain a reasonably good end result listening and reliability wise..

Thank you in advance for your care, cooperation and attention to all matters in the important sensitive subject.

Sincerely, Raffaele

dinoboom
04-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Mark Gander, the system engineer from the L220/222, will be at the Third Annual Lansing Heritage Awards this year in Los Angeles.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?34717-Third-Annual-Lansing-Heritage-Awards&p=360719&viewfull=1#post360719

Thanks for the tip! Mark sounds like he's the "man" for JBL. I'd love to attend the Awards and ask Mark a few questions. Before that can happen I need to find the resources/information to get the L220's back into a "healthy" state again.

Sincerely, Raffaele

Odd
04-12-2014, 12:07 PM
You will get audible difference by mixing.
I do not know where you are located, but the best might be and find two LE 14A on ebay.
They come up quite often in the U.S..

dinoboom
04-12-2014, 12:37 PM
You will get audible difference by mixing. ​How much???
I do not know where you are located, but the best might be and find two LE 14A on ebay.
They come up quite often in the U.S..
I've looked on eBay. There's no guarantee they would sound the same either assuming they make it to me in one piece?
Your saying "buy in pairs" who's to say those were made equally unless the serial numbers are sequential and made by the same person and even then? From the speaker re coning folks that I've spoke with that do it for a living...They have told me it's almost impossible to find exact matching voice coils for example.
Are you telling me that the LE14A's are superior to the LE14H's which originally came in my L220's? if that's the case JBL should repair and or replace these LE14H's at no charge. JBL Pro seemed to think the "major" differences was in the magnet materials. JBL Consumer didn't have a sufficient answer. In limbo...

Sincerely, Raffaele

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-Vintage-JBL-LE-LE14A-14-Woofer-Low-Frequency-Alnico-Excellent-Surrounds-/221289134893?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3385dc3b2d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pair-JBL-LE14A-8-Ohms-Signature-Alnico-Woofer-Speaker-Matched-Serial-/131162673857?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1e89e792c1

These must of come over on the Mayflower
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Vintage-JBL-12-LE14A-Woofers-8-Ohm-Speakers-From-a-Lancer-99-set-7791-7792-/310927476072?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4864b8c568

These are 16 Ohms
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-JBL-LE-14A-Woofer-Speakers-16-Ohms-Pair-Mint-S99-C56-S101-C53-Many-/131163282844?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1e89f0dd9c

Titanium Dome
04-12-2014, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the tip! Mark sounds like he's the "man" for JBL. I'd love to attend the Awards and ask Mark a few questions. Before that can happen I need to find the resources/information to get the L220's back into a "healthy" state again.

Sincerely, Raffaele

The L220 Emperor is Steve Gonzales who used to be a member here. One of his decimated threads is here.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?4263-L220-restoration&highlight=L220

Steve did some amazing work, and his departure from LH was a loss. I will contact him to see if he's open to communicating with you.

Odd
04-12-2014, 02:02 PM
I make a suggestion for a cheap solution.
I do not mean A is better than H.
You want the best you have to go for reconing, or find two LE 14H-1

dinoboom
04-12-2014, 02:25 PM
The L220 Emperor is Steve Gonzales who used to be a member here. One of his decimated threads is here.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?4263-L220-restoration&highlight=L220

Steve did some amazing work, and his departure from LH was a loss. I will contact him to see if he's open to communicating with you.

That would be awesome! Thank you!!! Any help or suggestions always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Keep me posted pleeze

Raffaele

Robh3606
04-13-2014, 10:36 AM
The L220/222 uses weights on the passive radiators to tune the bass. Make sure that there are weights on both passive radiators and they have the same size and weight washers used. Differences in weights of absence of the washers will de-tune the system so the bass will change.

As far as the differeces Le-14H white cone Le-14H-1 black cone. All of them Le14A,H, or H3 will work in the same cabinets but if you change them do it in pairs.

Rob:)

dinoboom
04-13-2014, 10:59 AM
The L220/222 uses weights on the passive radiators to tune the bass. Make sure that there are weights on both passive radiators and they have the same size and weight washers used. Differences in weights of absence of the washers will de-tune the system so the bass will change.

As far as the differeces Le-14H white cone Le-14H-1 black cone. All of them Le14A,H, or H3 will work in the same cabinets but if you change them do it in pairs.

Rob:)
Thanks so much for your time and considerations. Great information...
Well, what's the worst case scenario if I did run one LE14H (which are the original woofers that came in the system) and one LE14A in the other L220?

It's sort of mysterious this difference in sound that I'm hearing from one system to the next in overall "total" clarity and tonality. The bass being richer and overall clarity better. It has to be something with the voice coil in one of the LE14H's...

I'm working on a pair of obtaining LE14A's. One has been re-foamed and the other one hasn't been for an unknown reason. The seller I believe is honest and just wants to find a good home for the L220's drivers/passive radiators and x-overs. There was something about the midrange with the L220's not having enough finesse for his liking. So, he is parting out the remains of the L220 to a good home.

Your thoughts about "ALL" this? I have heard from others about doing this in pairs..I'm not against that and understand the theory. It comes down to how much more time and money do I want to invest in these systems!?! I do not have a "bottomless" bank account or rich relatives.

Sincerely yours, Raffaele

dinoboom
04-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Thanks so much for your time and considerations. Great information...
Well, what's the worst case scenario if I did run one LE14H (which are the original woofers that came in the system) and one LE14A in the other L220?

It's sort of mysterious this difference in sound that I'm hearing from one system to the next in overall "total" clarity and tonality. The bass being richer and overall clarity better. It has to be something with the voice coil in one of the LE14H's...

I'm working on a pair of obtaining LE14A's. One has been re-foamed and the other one hasn't been for an unknown reason. The seller I believe is honest and just wants to find a good home for the L220's drivers/passive radiators and x-overs. There was something about the midrange with the L220's not having enough finesse for his liking. So, he is parting out the remains of the L220 to a good home.

Your thoughts about "ALL" this? I have heard from others about doing this in pairs..I'm not against that and understand the theory. It comes down to how much more time and money do I want to invest in these systems!?! I do not have a "bottomless" bank account or rich relatives.

Sincerely yours, Raffaele
Here are some screenshots for your interest..

dinoboom
04-22-2014, 06:02 PM
I make a suggestion for a cheap solution.
I do not mean A is better than H.
You want the best you have to go for reconing, or find two LE 14H-1

Is it a fact that the power handling capacity of the JBL L220's will be cut in half if you replace the LE14H woofers with LE14A's?

Thank You, Ralph

SEAWOLF97
04-22-2014, 06:12 PM
swap them , see if issues moves too.

Jakob
04-26-2014, 12:33 AM
Ralp: How do you know that the basspeaker is the problem? It sounds to me that your only assuming that. You need to make a more thourogh analyze. Change outputs from your amp, move the woofers from one box to the other as seawolf said etc

dezmond
05-23-2014, 11:41 AM
I had my set of 220's refoamed a few months ago , love the sound when ran off the ma5100 . The bass at low volume was quite surprising. My set had 2 black o ring type gaskets around the woofers, is that the stock gasket ?

dinoboom
11-03-2014, 01:02 PM

Were you ever able to connect with Steve Gonzales on my behalf and perhaps on the behalf of others. That I may be able to share the information with?

Let me know please either way..

Sincerely, Raffael

dinoboom
01-02-2015, 11:08 PM

Dear Friend, hope the New Year finds you well. Have you been able to get in touch with Steve Gonzales. I'm still interested in connection with him and I've also been curious what a reasonable price to ask for a decent pair of JBL L-220's?

ANY HELP greatly appreciated!!!

Sincerely, Ralph

hjames
01-03-2015, 05:58 AM
Dear Friend, hope the New Year finds you well. Have you been able to get in touch with Steve Gonzales. I'm still interested in connection with him and I've also been curious what a reasonable price to ask for a decent pair of JBL L-220's?

ANY HELP greatly appreciated!!!

Sincerely, Ralph

An update - Steve Gonzales was a member at Audio Karma when he stopped visiting here,
but I have not seen him at either forum for a number of years.
I don't know what happened to him - he has not responded to the PM I sent him there over a year ago.

I don't know anything about JBL L220 prices, sorry ...

Sorry ...

dinoboom
01-03-2015, 10:07 AM
THANK YOU! sorry to hear about Mr. Gonzales...hopefully he is still with us!?!

Who could you direct me to in regard to the pricing of the JBL L-220's? and the significance of this model overall to the JBL line up?

For some reason I've seen them compared to L300 , 4343, 4344, and others. That apparently the L-220's are not as collectible as a those other models?

Thank you in advance for your care, cooperation and attention to these matters of importance.

Sincerely, Ralph

4313B
01-03-2015, 11:53 AM
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/price-lists/1970-1999-prices.htm

That apparently the L-220's are not as collectible as a those other models?Back in the day they weren't thought very highly of.
But those days are over and arguably pretty much anything JBL is collectible at this point.

SEAWOLF97
01-03-2015, 12:05 PM
arguably pretty much anything JBL is collectible at this point..

Kewl :bouncy: ....... where did I stash my Radiances & Bolivars ?? :dont-know: (:eek::eek:)

4313B
01-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Kewl :bouncy: ....... where did I stash my Radiances & Bolivars ?? :dont-know: (:eek::eek:)You "collected" some of those things eh? :rotfl:

BMWCCA
01-03-2015, 12:37 PM
An update - Steve Gonzales was a member at Audio Karma when he stopped visiting here,
but I have not seen him at either forum for a number of years.
I don't know what happened to him - he has not responded to the PM I sent him there over a year ago.

I don't know anything about JBL L220 prices, sorry ...

Sorry ...

Steve is still listed as a member over on AK but his last post was well over five-years ago. You might try his email and PM links there: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/member.php?u=20047

Historically, the prices of the L220 and L222 have been driven by the value of the cat's-eye tweeters. The last two pairs of 076s listed as sold on Ebay went for nearly $1200/pair, if you believe Ebay's "sold" data.

You can search this site for a decade of opinions on the L220/222. I'd suggest Google Advance search since this site's search function doesn't like JBL model numbers.

dinoboom
01-03-2015, 01:28 PM
Thank all you fine audiophiles on here..I do deeply appreciate your time and considerations.

EBay?!? I've seen JBL L-220's on there are high as $4,500.00. Not sure if they were ever sold at that price? From what I've seen in the last year lets says is that the L-220's fetch about $2,000.00 a pair and up. I personally have never heard or seen a pair sell for much less than $1,500 - $1,800.00.

I will try to reach Steve Gonzales and I will try to do an advanced search to see what that may yield? And I will repost anything I find out that is noteworthy.

Any further help or suggestions are always welcomed.

Blessing's from Vermont..."land of the frozen" aka the Green Mountain State..a playground for the rich.

Sincerely, Raffaele

BMWCCA
01-03-2015, 02:52 PM
EBay?!? I've seen JBL L-220's on there are high as $4,500.00. Not sure if they were ever sold at that price? From what I've seen in the last year lets says is that the L-220's fetch about $2,000.00 a pair and up. I personally have never heard or seen a pair sell for much less than $1,500 - $1,800.00.

I'm not sure if this was in response to what I wrote in the previous post but the prices I was quoting was for a pair of the tweeters from an L220/222, only. Just the tweeters.

Not sure why you're so set on contacting Gonzo if all you want is someone to tell you what yours are worth so you can sell them. Put them up for sale and let the marketplace make that decision for you.

Cheers.

dinoboom
01-03-2015, 03:05 PM
I'm not sure if this was in response to what I wrote in the previous post but the prices I was quoting was for a pair of the tweeters from an L220/222, only. Just the tweeters.

Not sure why you're so set on contacting Gonzo if all you want is someone to tell you what yours are worth so you can sell them. Put them up for sale and let the marketplace make that decision for you.

Cheers. Thank You! I'll do some deep breathing. I didn't read your prior post correctly..amazing price for a pair of 076 tweeters. I'll see if Steve responds. It might be interesting to hear from his corner. Your input and patience greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Ralph

SEAWOLF97
01-03-2015, 05:13 PM
You "collected" some of those things eh? :rotfl:

doesn't everybody have some dark secret in their past ?? :dont-know: :blink::blink:

(oh sheet, I even bought some Boze once ...:crying::eek::crying::eek: )

thankfully they have new, more appreciative owners ..now :nanana::nopity:
tho, gotta admit ... the Bolivars weren't terrible.

* LATER: The Radiances got gifted (dumped ?) on me by a "friend" ... looked like someone had barfed on them. (before or after listening ????)

dinoboom
01-03-2015, 06:22 PM
doesn't everybody have some dark secret in their past ?? :dont-know: :blink::blink:

(oh sheet, I even bought some Boze once ...:crying::eek::crying::eek: )

thankfully they have new, more appreciative owners ..now :nanana::nopity:
tho, gotta admit ... the Bolivars weren't terrible.
Okay! now I'm missing something here :/ could you bring some clarity to your response? pleeze!

BMWCCA
01-03-2015, 07:45 PM
Thank You! I'll do some deep breathing. I didn't read your prior post correctly..amazing price for a pair of 076 tweeters. I'll see if Steve responds. It might be interesting to hear from his corner. Your input and patience greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Ralph

Not to bum you out but if you check Ebay for completed sales on L220 you'll find the only pair that got a bid in the past 30-days actually went for less than the pairs of tweeters!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-L220-Oracle-Speakers-/121472924733?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c4859bc3d&nma=true&si=a9Cwa%2B1vajBtfLZgxgW96NHyby4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

They were in my state and even I didn't bid on them. I think being in a large metro area has to help since they're too pricey to ship. Who knows what these prices indicate or if they're even real sales. :dont-know:

Oh and by-the-way, Seawolf and 4313 are carrying on a bit of a side conversation that has nothing to do with your questions. That happens a lot around here. Some think it even adds a bit of interest to some threads. Others hate it. Personally I learn a lot from the side conversations. Just don't take the thread re-direct personally.

dinoboom
01-03-2015, 11:40 PM
Not to bum you out but if you check Ebay for completed sales on L220 you'll find the only pair that got a bid in the past 30-days actually went for less than the pairs of tweeters!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-L220-Oracle-Speakers-/121472924733?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c4859bc3d&nma=true&si=a9Cwa%2B1vajBtfLZgxgW96NHyby4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

They were in my state and even I didn't bid on them. I think being in a large metro area has to help since they're too pricey to ship. Who knows what these prices indicate or if they're even real sales. :dont-know:

Oh and by-the-way, Seawolf and 4313 are carrying on a bit of a side conversation that has nothing to do with your questions. That happens a lot around here. Some think it even adds a bit of interest to some threads. Others hate it. Personally I learn a lot from the side conversations. Just don't take the thread re-direct personally.
Thanks for staying on top of this whole thing...All of a sudden L-220's have been appearing more than usual or perhaps I've started a new trend. I take a personal interest in everything I sell on eBay or any place else. The money is nice, but it is not my main incentive. I may bless someone with these L-220's if the right person or situation arises. There's a pair on their now that is close to $2,000.00 at auction and they are not "original" I know cause this seller approached me about a pair of LE14A's, Crossover and Passive radiators that I had initially had in my ad. He found them elsewhere apparently. It stuck me strange at first, but now it all makes sense. I was intending to use those components myself or as an incentive to sell the L-220's. All the components I offered for $250.00 if the buyer bought the L-220's. There is a seller now on ebay that is selling these same components for $495.00. I need to be able to sleep at night and I certainly do not want to make any enemies or create more headaches for the Buyer or myself. I did a search on AudioKarma and I found many Posts that highly praised the L-220's although it wasn't always so. Anything made by JBL appears to be collectable these days. Keep me posted if you'd be so kind. Sincerely, Raffaele

BMWCCA
01-04-2015, 07:51 AM
I may bless someone with these L-220's if the right person or situation arises. There's a pair on their now that is close to $2,000.00 at auction and they are not "original" I know cause this seller approached me about a pair of LE14A's, Crossover and Passive radiators that I had initially had in my ad. He found them elsewhere apparently. It stuck me strange at first, but now it all makes sense. I was intending to use those components myself or as an incentive to sell the L-220's. All the components I offered for $250.00 if the buyer bought the L-220's. There is a seller now on ebay that is selling these same components for $495.00. I need to be able to sleep at night and I certainly do not want to make any enemies or create more headaches for the Buyer or myself. I did a search on AudioKarma and I found many Posts that highly praised the L-220's although it wasn't always so.

It has been common knowledge for quite some time that many JBLs systems are worth more dead than alive. The L7 has a great reputation, despite T-dome's wonderful thread expressing concern over placement issues, and yet they can still be found for well under $500 . . . and sometimes less than half that amount. But check out what the individual drivers tend to bring! It gives someone like me pause to explain why I keep these vintage systems intact. Perhaps it is just to provide a lifetime of replacement parts for myself? Or to pass these icons on to another generation?

One problem with your stated possibility of "blessing" someone with your JBL family members is that you don't give us any idea of where you are in your profile information. For instance, people can easily see that I'm in Virginia. That definitely helps when trying to find buyers or good homes for your large stuff that's a pain the the butt to ship. I've purchased two pair of L7s, one pair of 250Ti, a pair of L150As, L1s, L3s, L20Ts, and a beautiful pair of L96 (from a member here) within my home state simply because they were local and shipping wasn't a consideration. In my small town I've purchased a pair of L7s just three-houses down the road from me and a pair of L80Ts. I traveled for a great deal on some L5s and to obtain my current favorite 4345s but tied those trips in with taking my daughter to college in both cases. I've only ever shipped-in one pair of 4412As and that's because the seller was willing to pack them well and include the shipping in the sub-two-bills price.

I don't know anyone here who pays top-dollar for used stuff. But we all are willing to pay a fair price for quality products and are usually willing to offer a bit of a premium just knowing we're dealing with someone from this list which imparts a bit of camaraderie and a sense of safety and comfort. If you own a pair of L100s and want a grand for them, the buyer isn't likely to come from this group. But if you're unwilling to deal with the vagaries of Ebay policies, fees, and payment foibles, packing, and shipping, and buyers who will lie to rescind payment, and you're truly looking for a good home for your prized possessions, then maybe you should make us an offer. I can almost with certainty tell you you'll get more on Audiogon or Ebay but not without a lot of strife, effort, and angst. My home for wayward JBLs would love to include a local pair of L220s, but not for twice what I paid for a mint-in-box 250Ti pair, or more than I paid for my 4345 clones in Kenrick-built custom black-ash-baffle cabinets.
:eek:

Best wishes for you in achieving whatever your goal is for your L220s.

dinoboom
01-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Greetings from Vermont!
Thanks so very much for you valuable words and considerations. I did update/include my location and also a photo of the L-220's in the JBL Home speaker gallery.

I'm very thankful and feel privileged to belong to this fine family...

Sincerely, Raffaele

audiomagnate
01-16-2015, 05:14 AM
Best wishes for you in achieving whatever your goal is for your L220s.

I think he want's to sell them. OP can put them on marketplace and see what happens in case anyone has missed this thread. The only speakers are I can cannibalize with a clear conscience are Sansui's, which actually sound better disassembled. It is sad that most speakers are worth more dead (parted out) than alive. Because you live in a beautiful yet isolated place like Vermont, that option must look pretty attractive. If you do decide to ship them intact, try to get some tips on packing first or it will not end well. Big a** foam corners are your friend.

dinoboom
01-16-2015, 09:36 AM
I think he want's to sell them. OP can put them on marketplace and see what happens in case anyone has missed this thread. The only speakers are I can cannibalize with a clear conscience are Sansui's, which actually sound better disassembled. It is sad that most speakers are worth more dead (parted out) than alive. Because you live in a beautiful yet isolated place like Vermont, that option must look pretty attractive. If you do decide to ship them intact, try to get some tips on packing first or it will not end well. Big a** foam corners are your friend.
Thank YOU! Yes! they are For Sale and are listed in the Gallery. I'm not totally clear on this, but if there is a place to sell them on here?!? I think I placed the JBL L-220's in there. Hope this has done some good and please feel free to advise me in anyway you feel would be helpful? These L-220's are lonely and really need a good home.
Sincerely, Raffaele

BMWCCA
01-16-2015, 06:09 PM
By now I don't think it's really a secret that these are yours: http://www.ebayitem.com/291352012230

dinoboom
01-16-2015, 07:17 PM
Thanks for staying on top of this whole thing...All of a sudden L-220's have been appearing more than usual or perhaps I've started a new trend. I take a personal interest in everything I sell on eBay or any place else. The money is nice, but it is not my main incentive. I may bless someone with these L-220's if the right person or situation arises. There's a pair on their now that is close to $2,000.00 at auction and they are not "original" I know cause this seller approached me about a pair of LE14A's, Crossover and Passive radiators that I had initially had in my ad. He found them elsewhere apparently. It stuck me strange at first, but now it all makes sense. I was intending to use those components myself or as an incentive to sell the L-220's. All the components I offered for $250.00 if the buyer bought the L-220's. There is a seller now on ebay that is selling these same components for $495.00. I need to be able to sleep at night and I certainly do not want to make any enemies or create more headaches for the Buyer or myself. I did a search on AudioKarma and I found many Posts that highly praised the L-220's although it wasn't always so. Anything made by JBL appears to be collectable these days. Keep me posted if you'd be so kind. Sincerely, Raffaele
That was a good deal if everything was in place?!? Personally I think that is a low ball price for most JBL L-220's that I've seen over the last couple years. What do I know?!? whatever the market will tolerate. Every time i power my L-220's I'm impressed. I have had many speaker systems and listened to many different models and I must say the L-220's are one of my favorites. I like the whole JBL project and what was accomplished..and I'm still learning. I was always impressed when I noticed those silver voice coil caps..at the time it was primary to sound reinforcement. And so on...

mech986
04-30-2015, 01:52 AM
So did you ever sort out what was the problem causing the two speakers to sound different from each other, bass and clarity wise? Did the problem follow when you swapped woofers, or was there a problem with the passive radiators or seals?

And what happened with your sale? The link shows you had to pull the auction for some reason.