PDA

View Full Version : Is It Just Me?

Chas
04-07-2014, 05:25 AM
Along with being a certifiable JBL and Audio nut, I have always been inerested in cars, both new and old, like many in the LHS forum. As a result, I like car shows, Top Gear from the UK, etc. Plus, here in Canada, I am lucky enough to benefit from high quality TV services, like the CBC and as well, PBS gets imported up here.

A show I very much have enjoyed for years on PBS is called Motorweek, which I religiously record, weekly. The only thing that bothers me is the audio quality of the dialogue. The backghround music seems okay, but the dialogue sounds like it has been processed through a vacuum cleaner hose, comb filtering and all. It seems disconnected from the music in the background.

Anyone else bothered by this?

gasfan
04-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Along with being a certifiable JBL and Audio nut, I have always been inerested in cars, both new and old, like many in the LHS forum. As a result, I like car shows, Top Gear from the UK, etc. Plus, here in Canada, I am lucky enough to benefit from high quality TV services, like the CBC and as well, PBS gets imported up here.

A show I very much have enjoyed for years on PBS is called Motorweek, which I religiously record, weekly. The only thing that bothers me is the audio qulity of the dialogue. The backghround music seems okay, but the dialogue sounds like it has been processed through a vacuum cleaner hose, comb filtering and all. It seems disconnected from the music in the background.

Anyone else bothered by this?

No. But I am going to be bothered if I don't win the 61' Vette up for grabs by the Lucan Biiddulph classic car draw this year. Fully restored numbers matching 283 4-speed convertible worth $75,000.00. www.winitcar.com. No affiliation except for the tickets I bought.

Chas
04-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Very nice, I am a 68-69 Vette guy myself, but hey, they're all good!

gasfan
04-08-2014, 03:18 PM
My interest ends in 67' and begins again with the C-6.

honkytonkwillie
04-09-2014, 02:14 AM
I've noticed the sound on Motorweek as well, and it always creeped me out. It's been years since I've seen the show, but I always thought it sounded like the dialogue was recorded in a dead quiet sound booth and turned up, while everything else like car sounds and environmental sounds were more alive, but muted quite a bit. Jarring.

Chas
04-10-2014, 05:37 AM
I've noticed the sound on Motorweek as well, and it always creeped me out. It's been years since I've seen the show, but I always thought it sounded like the dialogue was recorded in a dead quiet sound booth and turned up, while everything else like car sounds and environmental sounds were more alive, but muted quite a bit. Jarring.

Yes, the dialogue has an etheral, disembodied, tin can-like quality, that to me, is very annoying. It is surprising, because PBS has very high standards for audio and video, generally speaking. Of course, JBL's are very good at reproducing the good and the bad..

Good to know I am not the only one who notices it. :D