PDA

View Full Version : Literature and so on

hector.murray
10-22-2004, 02:43 PM
I recently came across this site while trying to restore a pair of L40 speakers from my childhood. not long after ( less than 10 days) I stumbled across a set of Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater columns complete with D515 woofers. I rescued them from a burn pile, and upon inspection, 3 of the 4 the woofers were in excellent condition - even for todays standards - and they bear a date stamp ( I assume) of August 53. When removing the speakers I found an enclosure diagram and wonder if I should send this along to someone here at this site and whom I would send this to.
Now, I have a plan for the speaker components themselves - specifically what I'm not sure - however, the enclosures themselves I have no desire for, as I have not the room for these behemoths. I'm curious if anyone would want them, as I would gladly donate them if someone had a wish for them.

Mr. Widget
10-22-2004, 03:22 PM
If you could take a photo and post it, that would be helpful. Did you manage to get the HF units too?

Widget

hector.murray
10-22-2004, 04:14 PM
I stand corrected on the number count. There are a total of 6 515b units, and 5 of them are functional. I got to these a day too late, as there was only 1 511B horn left, the remainder had been taken to the dump (!!).
I just finished testing 3 of them that I pulled, on both my stereo and on my sons bass. they sound good.
I'm looking forward to building an enclosure for them, so off to the enclosure guides I go....

hector.murray
10-22-2004, 04:15 PM
and how would I post the pic? I've already scanned it.

Mr. Widget
10-22-2004, 04:19 PM
Follow these directions.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=817

hector.murray
10-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Working on shinging it now, it's 177kb and alot more pixels.

hector.murray
10-22-2004, 04:57 PM
Not much, but here it is

Mr. Widget
10-22-2004, 05:04 PM
You should post on Todd White's Altec site. There must be someone who would want those cabinets.

http://www.nleinternet.net/alteclansingunofficial/

Congratulations on your find!

Widget

scott fitlin
10-22-2004, 05:11 PM
Mammoth sized cabinets! I dont, I just dont have the room for them!

Dont even have room for them in my storages, or warehouse.

:(

hector.murray
10-22-2004, 05:48 PM
Oh crap Vapors! I'm in trouble now! My sons got to the one cabinet that I had not pulled the speakers out of. Hooked up their guitar amps and I think they're in lust. They don't believe they're only 50 watts each. Now If I can just convince the wife she really wants to keep the van out of the garage this winter.....

scott fitlin
10-22-2004, 05:59 PM
This is what you do! Tell the kids and the wife its an early christmas present for the boys, and that these are the same speakers Elvis Presley used to play on! Those boys arent gonna want to let you get rid of them now!

Maybe she,ll buy that? Think xmas, the boys get the Altecs, and she gets a new Lexus!

:sleigh: :xmas:

hector.murray
10-22-2004, 07:02 PM
they just gotta go. I'll look at the enclosure referances to see if there isn't something smaller I can build to put the woofers in. *sigh*
The LE10s that are going in the L40 cabinets are the real xmas gift for the boys anyway, now to get a tweeter that will match the LE10s' for the L40 cabinnet and I'm good temperarily.
There are the 2 210 cabinets and 1 low lying flat cabinet that is "W" shaped.
I think I'll use 2 of the 515s' for a subwoofer in my living room and the remaining ones I'll make a bass guitar cabinet for one of the boys (after I get the 4th one reconed) I'm open for suggestions.
anyone?

Mr. Widget
10-22-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by hector.murray

There are the 2 210 cabinets and 1 low lying flat cabinet that is "W" shaped.

OOOOH a full sized theater "W" horn. That may be worth some money... It certainly is the only way you will get sub 40Hz bass out of those woofers.

I am sure it is too big for any reasonable home system, there are those that will disagree with my term reasonable, but a properly constructed "W" horn can make an excellent subwoofer. That enclosure is tempting. Thank god I am on the West Coast!

I think I'll use 2 of the 515s' for a subwoofer in my living room....
You would be better off selling the woofers and buying a contemporary woofer designed for VLF applications. Altec 515Bs will pull in around $500 a pair if they are in good working and cosmetic condition. As I said above they will work as a sub but only in a gigantic horn. These woofers are very efficient with light cones and limited Xmax. They will not be a great choice for a subwoofer application.

I'll make a bass guitar cabinet for one of the boys (after I get the 4th one reconed)
Might be good for that, I'd be worried that the older glues and voicecoils are not up the the bass punishment a younger musician might give them.

Widget

speakerdave
10-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Ditto Widget on everything. If abused (and that is, strickly speaking, what you are thinking of, using them for musical instrument speakers) this treasure trove of classic drivers could turn to zip. There are plenty of folks who want (need!) those old style very efficient woofers for use with their low-powered single ended triode tube amps, and as Widget says, are willing to pay for clean ones.

There are many more modern drivers, which you could purchase for the money you get for the 515's, that would make better bass and guitar speakers and others that would give better hifi bass in smaller, reflex enclosures.

David

hector.murray
10-22-2004, 08:15 PM
What you say is certainly food for thought. I had not really delt with speakers on the resonance and design/application level in 30 years ( I "thought" of myself as an audiophile in the 70's :) ) These speakers were from a local movie theater and had been removed during a change of ownership/theater redesign.
Coming from you, I'll certainly rethink my plans. I had only acquired these because I thought it would be such a waste just to see them burn and that my budding musician sons might be able to put them to use. If the use of these speakers in this manner ( my subwoofer plans included) would result in their untimely demise, I don't think that would be right. Someone took care of these for 50 years, it would be a shame to destroy them through abuse.

Robh3606
10-22-2004, 08:23 PM
Well Said

Rob:cheers:

speakerdave
10-22-2004, 08:36 PM
I had only acquired these because I thought it would be such a waste just to see them burn and that my budding musician sons might be able to put them to use. If the use of these speakers in this manner ( my subwoofer plans included) would result in their untimely demise, I don't think that would be right. Someone took care of these for 60 years, it would be a shame to destroy them through abuse.
Well, I think we're all glad you went to the trouble, and I really feel you're free to do whatever you wish with them, but I know musical instruments put voltage spikes into speakers that recorded music cannot.

David

hector.murray
10-22-2004, 08:51 PM
After consulting with my sons, who read these posts, we've deceided not to use these speakers in this manner. I would be a fool not to take the advice of you folks. So I'll be putting them up for sale, rather than destroy them, as I know would happen ( I remember what I was like, what I listened to and HOW I listened to it as a teenager. My sons play music I would have really enjoyied as a teenager ... :) ).
I know we could use these speakers this way, but we're not into destruction. There's a better tool for this job and these tools are ment for another job.
And with luck, I might find some Altecs that ARE ment for this application.

speakerdave
10-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Here's another web site with information about Altec speakers:
http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/

I just looked in their library at the sheet for the 515 and 515B. They are rated for "35 watts program material." Think of it as even less than it sounds.

You will find plenty of reading there to help you understand what those speakers are.

There is also a forum there.

David

hector.murray
10-22-2004, 08:54 PM
Many thanks to both you and Widget.

speakerdave
10-22-2004, 08:56 PM
You are entirely welcome. I wish you good luck with this project.

David