PDA

View Full Version : 4350 terminal connection

KTG
03-18-2014, 06:04 AM
Hello, need a some assistance on the terminal connection for 4350. The plate on the speaker has 4 ohms for the woofers, i am assuming i should connect to the 4 ohm terminals on the mac 2105. Will the 4 ohm connection give more power to the woofers.? Double the 105 watts for the 8 ohm rating. If i connect to the 8 ohm terminal on the amp what are the consequences with this ? Also why are the woofers wired in parallel instead of series in the cabinet. Thanks for any help in this simple question. Just need some assurance i understand this correctly. Kg

Mr. Widget
03-18-2014, 08:55 AM
The woofers in the 4350 are wired in parallel because they were designed in the 70s when solid state amps replaced most tube amps. Most solid state amps don't have output transformers so they will be able to deliver significantly more power into 4 ohms than 16 ohms. (A function of the current limitations of the power supply and ohm's law.)

Your amp and any Mac with autoformer outputs are rather oddballs. Because of the autoformers the amp sees essentially the same load regardless of the speaker's impedance so the amp will deliver the same power to speakers of differing impedances. You will not hurt anything if you try the various taps on the autoformer... you may like the sound of one tap over another, but you won't be gaining any additional power.

Widget

martin2395
03-18-2014, 11:23 AM
I agree with Mr.Widget, it can be profitable to play with different taps on your Mac.

When I had the old MC2300 I found the 4 Ohm taps sounded more warm and relaxed compared to 8 Ohm which sounded a bit cold but more accurate. I did the tests with 8 Ohm speakers.

KTG
03-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Thanks guys. appreciate very much. Learn something new from this site every day. To continue, I have tried diff. taps. still experimenting. Also if I change to an amp that does not have autoformers is the 4 ohm tap on the amp. correct ?. Is there anything to gain or lose to rewire the the woofers in series depending what kind of amplifier I eventually get? I guess 4 ohm tap i can get a smaller wattage amp. Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated.