PDA

View Full Version : Biamp L300 question

elshout
03-16-2014, 12:31 PM
I am looking to biamp my L300's and have attached a schematic that Giskard created. My question is, does this crossover require an active crossover or is this a "passive biamp crossover"?:confused: Thanks.

Earl K
03-16-2014, 02:07 PM
That network is not capable of doing a "passive biamp" .

You'll still need an active crossover ( if you're going to build that network ) .

( If you proceed with the build ), I suggest that you buy a tuneable Ashly 2-way ( XR-1001 ) / they have a good reputation .

:)

elshout
03-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Thanks Earl. That is what I needed to know. I will use a Marchand crossover. Thanks for your suggestion on the Ashley though.

I do still have a question for Earl or anyone else: If you use an active crossover, why is the capacitor and resistor still in the woofer circuit? The crossover would cut the upper frequencies. What does this do?

grumpy
03-17-2014, 03:39 PM
woofer will have a rising impedance with frequency... resistor/cap
equalizes this out so any preceding network components (or in this case, the amp)
will see a flatter impedance over frequency (helps crossovers to behave
closer to what one might assume). Sometimes referred to as a "zobel".

elshout
03-18-2014, 04:34 PM
Thanks Grumpy. I was actually going to send you a link to this thread to see if you could give me an answer. I have seen enough of your post that I figured you would be one that could answer this.

grumpy
03-18-2014, 06:59 PM
Hope it helped. There are dozens of people here who could have provided
a similar or better explanation. We're all still learning. :)