PDA

View Full Version : Emotiva xpa gen-2

dino
03-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Just received my Emotiva xpa-2 today. Wow it was ship double box plus 3 1/2 to 4 inch thick Styrofoam. I thought was nice the amp came wrap up in a black cloth that read Emotive. This thing is heavy the terminals and switches on the back of the unit very nice no cheap terminals. The amp came class A all the way. I don't know how emotive does it. Not knocking off the other companies I am about to mention but I owned paradigms HCA-3500 - Rotel RB-1090 - Nakamichi PA-7 and the list goes on but any way none of the amps I mention came well pack like the Emotive and terminals wasn't as nice. If this amp sound like all the posting on the internet I will send it back within it's 30 days and up grade to the mono blocks. I will let you guys know later how this amp performs and sound

dino
03-11-2014, 05:01 PM
Just received my Emotiva xpa-2 today. Wow it was ship double box plus 3 1/2 to 4 inch thick Styrofoam. I thought was nice the amp came wrap up in a black cloth that read Emotive. This thing is heavy the terminals and switches on the back of the unit very nice no cheap terminals. The amp came class A all the way. I don't know how emotive does it. Not knocking off the other companies I am about to mention but I owned paradigms HCA-3500 - Rotel RB-1090 - Nakamichi PA-7 and the list goes on but any way none of the amps I mention came well pack like the Emotive and terminals wasn't as nice. If this amp sound like all the posting on the internet I will send it back within it's 30 days and up grade to the mono blocks. I will let you guys know later how this amp performs and sound
Here some pic of amp and package

gferrell
03-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Main thing is, HOW DOES IT SOUND!

dino
03-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Main thing is, HOW DOES IT SOUND!

Well I am at a loss for words. What is Emotiva angle to piss off high end very expensive power amp manufacturers or simply blow people's mind and ears with their well built phenomenal power amps. WOW I can't stop smiling it's not even broken in yet. No color sound at all no booming slow bass response nice deep and tight. Stage presence is fabulous. Mids are nice and smooth a little reserve but great. People say JBL speakers are a little bright this amp gives my JBL nothing but sweet music, I can't wait until tomorrow I will definitely crank up the volume. I am on the east coast and it's 11:00 DAMM. Well for now I will wrap it up and say this I do not regret buying my parasound HCA-3500 my rotel rb-1090 my nakamichi PA7 . Because I have a standard I can judge all other amplifiers and this company name Emotiva design and make an unbelievable product. Any one from this site who live in my area are more than welcome to come to my home and listen for your self.:eek:

dino
03-11-2014, 08:09 PM
Well I am at a loss for words. What is Emotiva angle to piss off high end very expensive power amp manufacturers or simply blow people's mind and ears with their well built phenomenal power amps. WOW I can't stop smiling it's not even broken in yet. No color sound at all no booming slow bass response nice deep and tight. Stage presence is fabulous. Mids are nice and smooth a little reserve but great. People say JBL speakers are a little bright this amp gives my JBL nothing but sweet music, I can't wait until tomorrow I will definitely crank up the volume. I am on the east coast and it's 11:00 DAMM. Well for now I will wrap it up and say this I do not regret buying my parasound HCA-3500 my rotel rb-1090 my nakamichi PA7 . Because I have a standard I can judge all other amplifiers and this company name Emotiva design and make an unbelievable product. Any one from this site who live in my area are more than welcome to come to my home and listen for your self.:eek:

PS I have 30 day trial if I do not like the amp send it back and will receive a100% refund. Hell I might send this amp back and buy the mono blocks:p

RedCoat23
03-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Great purchase. I have 4 XPA-1 Monoblocks and nothing but good things to say about them :) Welcome to the 'other' club :D

dino
03-12-2014, 07:52 AM
Great purchase. I have 4 XPA-1 Monoblocks and nothing but good things to say about them :) Welcome to the 'other' club :D

Thanks. I want to run a tube preamp with my Emotiva amp. What preamp are you using

Lee in Montreal
03-12-2014, 08:08 AM
If this amp sound like all the posting on the internet I will send it back within it's 30 days...

I am lost. After reading bad reviews of an amp, you still ordered it and intend to return it if the reviews are true. Trying to understand the logic. ;-)

dino
03-12-2014, 08:49 AM
I am lost. After reading bad reviews of an amp, you still ordered it and intend to return it if the reviews are true. Trying to understand the logic. ;-)

Put down the bottle

Lee in Montreal
03-12-2014, 09:30 AM
Put down the bottle

So Dino. What was your rational on that?

dino
03-12-2014, 10:19 AM
So Dino. What was your rational on that?

I am not a puppet on a string I never follow I lead my self. I don't wait for someone else to tell me some equipment sound good or bad I have my own ears for that. What I find awful funny it is my money I earn it's my money I bought the Emotive xpa-2 power amp but you seem up set when I am so overwhelmed please with my Emotiva XPA-2

Lee in Montreal
03-12-2014, 11:11 AM
I am not a puppet on a string I never follow I lead my self. I don't wait for someone else to tell me some equipment sound good or bad I have my own ears for that. What I find awful funny it is my money I earn it's my money I bought the Emotive xpa-2 power amp but you seem up set when I am so overwhelmed please with my Emotiva XPA-2

Wow. Any reason for being such a dick my dear? No need to be on the defensive. I only asked a very simple question that could have prompted a simple answer. The paranoid reply wasn't necessary.

dino
03-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Wow. Any reason for being such a dick my dear? No need to be on the defensive. I only asked a very simple question that could have prompted a simple answer. The paranoid reply wasn't necessary.

It was a simple answer. maybe not the response you wanted to hear. I found a product that's is unbelievable your response - you are confused because EVERYONE else supposedly said negative things about emotiva amps and why did I buy it after everyone said that. Again you read my responce which was very honest and straight to the point. Like I post from the beginning I love the way my Emotiva amp sound compare to my parasound HCA-3500 or rotel rb-1090 or my nakamichi PA7. It's not at all or will never be about YOU. It's about my ears and what pleases ME. I can care less what who said good or bad

dino
03-12-2014, 02:32 PM
I'm hearing sound from my speaker I never heard before or maybe it wasn't detailed enough in the past. I find my self listening to all my cd all over again just to hear what I miss. Well the Emotiva xpa-2 is a remarkable power amplifier I have nothing to gain money wise from Emotiva but I will give you a fair and honest opinion the amp is a beast if you get a chance to listen to one or buy one you be smiling as I am:D:applaud::applaud::applaud:

BMWCCA
03-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Dino, I, too, was confused by the logic in your first post about sending them back. It sounded like you expected them to fail and I didn't follow the logic, either.

I have the Emotiva XDA-2 and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I'd not hesitate to try any of their products if the need arose.

Now can we kiss and make-up? I don't see anything Lee said (at first!) that should have angered you, but it quickly escalated in a way I don't think either of you intended or that would have happened had you been face-to-face. Chalk it up to the Internet and go back and edit your posts . . . both of you!
:thmbsup:

Ed Zeppeli
03-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Good post BMWCCA.

I immediately read their disagreement as a misunderstanding as well.

Peace fellas.

RedCoat23
03-12-2014, 08:48 PM
Thanks. I want to run a tube preamp with my Emotiva amp. What preamp are you using

I'm using the monoblocks in my theater setup. So 3 of them are hooked into my Onkyo TX-NR818. The fourth is currently idle waiting on a 5th to arrive.

DingDing
03-13-2014, 07:20 AM
Congrats on XPA-2 gen 2. Had gen 1 for a while and decided to get XPR-1's. They do sound spectacular (class AB to ~250w and class H to 1000w). :) The difference was that the mids and highs on XPA-2 gen 1 is more forward whereas XPR-1's are a little more laid back. Holography also seems better with the XPR's.

The new XPA-1 gen 2 monos have 60w class A and AB after that. I'd love to hear them. Also their new fully balanced preamp seems really good, but not a big fan of the look.

Took this a while back. They sure look better in real life than in the product photos, and luckily it's possible to turn off that horrible blue light. I've also used them a lot with JBL 4343B.

Emotiva is good value imo.

dino
03-13-2014, 10:07 AM
Dino, I, too, was confused by the logic in your first post about sending them back. It sounded like you expected them to fail and I didn't follow the logic, either.

I have the Emotiva XDA-2 and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I'd not hesitate to try any of their products if the need arose.

Now can we kiss and make-up? I don't see anything Lee said (at first!) that should have angered you, but it quickly escalated in a way I don't think either of you intended or that would have happened had you been face-to-face. Chalk it up to the Internet and go back and edit your posts . . . both of you!
:thmbsup:

What I said is Emotiva will give you up to 30days to trial. If you don't like the sound you can send the amp back and receive a full refund but I want to upgrade my xpa-2 to the monoblock within the 30 day trial.

dino
03-13-2014, 10:14 AM
What I said is Emotiva will give you up to 30days to trial. If you don't like the sound you can send the amp back and receive a full refund but I want to upgrade my xpa-2 to the monoblock within the 30 day trial.

Dick and dear I would never use those words LOL. I have a new amp or toy to audition. If I was was upset or mad believe me I have a sailor mouth which I did receive from the USMC back in the day. But I had something more concerning to do than throw stones at each other's home.

sweet212
03-13-2014, 10:17 AM
I dropped in at a friends home in Iowa. In his basement he had Gallo speakers in a surround sound setup connected to 2 Emotiva XPR's amps. Very impressive sound - so much so that I am thinking of replacing the old 400 watt amp on my 1400's with the 600 watt Emotiva.

dino
03-13-2014, 10:28 AM
I dropped in at a friends home in Iowa. In his basement he had Gallo speakers in a surround sound setup connected to 2 Emotiva XPR's amps. Very impressive sound - so much so that I am thinking of replacing the old 400 watt amp on my 1400's with the 600 watt Emotiva.

Go for it. I will try to upgrade my xpa within it's 30 day trial so I can get the monoblocks.. I can't believe the sound vs price it's truly unreal

dino
03-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Go for it. I will try to upgrade my xpa within it's 30 day trial so I can get the monoblocks.. I can't believe the sound vs price it's truly unreal

Being I just received my Emotiva amp Tuesday the sound my amp reproduced make me feel like a big kid on Christmas except this big kid knows the value of money and how this amp can perform vs what I paid for it . I hope everyone on this site has a chance to audition this amp for them self. And come up with their own conclusion. Good or bad

DingDing
03-13-2014, 11:34 PM

Which monoblocks; they have three of them, the XPA-1, XPA-1L and XPR-1.

Hope you'll check in and tell us about the differences if you go that route :)

dino
03-22-2014, 08:26 PM
Which monoblocks; they have three of them, the XPA-1, XPA-1L and XPR-1.

Hope you'll check in and tell us about the differences if you go that route :)

Hey. To answer your question I will stay with my xpa-2. My JBL studio monitors are pretty efficient with that said 300 watts per channel is more than enough, any more for me would only be BRAGGING rights.my ultimate system would consist of a tube power amp and a SS power amp which I would bi-amp my speakers for my ultimate sound pleasure:p

dino
03-22-2014, 08:53 PM
My conclusion on the Emotiva xpa-2 it's a very impressive power amp. And the price is even more ridiculous. I am more than please with xpa-2 performance and it's sound quality. For those who question why would I want a tube power if I am so please with the sound from my amp. To MY ears there is no SS power amp on earth that out perform a tube amp in the MIDRANGE or TWEETER area. Now with that said to MY ears there is no tube power amp that can produce the LOWS of an SS power amp. So when I take both amps and bi-amp them I get the best of both worlds

Dave_72
03-24-2014, 11:16 AM
Does an emotiva amp come with packets of this:

haha just kidding.

dino
03-25-2014, 06:50 PM
Does an emotiva amp come with packets of this:

haha just kidding.

This is a ALTEC /JBL audio discussion site. Where on this great site we have very knowledgeable more than qualified people to answer any questions on upgrading or custom modify or simply build your altec or JBL to their spec. To use this site to breed hate or any other type of dysfunctional behavior is totally disrespectful for what this site was attended for. PS to be civil my Emotiva came with a five year warranty

Dave_72
03-26-2014, 05:43 AM
This is a ALTEC /JBL audio discussion site. Where on this great site we have very knowledgeable more than qualified people to answer any questions on upgrading or custom modify or simply build your altec or JBL to their spec. To use this site to breed hate or any other type of dysfunctional behavior is totally disrespectful for what this site was attended for. PS to be civil my Emotiva came with a five year warranty

Again, I was just kidding around. No harm intended. I'm sorry you took it more than what it is, a joke.

The fact of the matter is, is I see "drinking the Kool-Aid" prevalent amongst the Emotiva fan boys. Look, it's not as good or better than the heavy hitters of the high end. It's just not.

hjames
03-26-2014, 06:17 AM
The Emotiva Amps are supposed to be pretty good.
The amps seem to have lots of fans.
I gather some of the DACs owners are happy.

I tried the Emotiva UMC-1 Pre/Pro back in May 2010 and it was not ready for primeTime.
Fortunately, they had great customer service and gave me a full refund.

And I bought the used Integra Pre/Pro I am still using today.

dino
03-26-2014, 06:18 AM
Again, I was just kidding around. No harm intended. I'm sorry you took it more than what it is, a joke.

The fact of the matter is, is I see "drinking the Kool-Aid" prevalent amongst the Emotiva fan boys. Look, it's not as good or better than the heavy hitters of the high end. It's just not.

That is your opinion . I don't own any audio company nor do I have stock in any of these companies but what I do know Emotiva is a better sounding power amp than a lot of amps on the market. I CAN care less how much an amp cost it's all about the sound so keep spending your money on over price power amps. I love my Emotiva and I sir had my fair share of power amps

Dave_72
03-26-2014, 12:01 PM
That is your opinion . I don't own any audio company nor do I have stock in any of these companies but what I do know Emotiva is a better sounding power amp than a lot of amps on the market. I CAN care less how much an amp cost it's all about the sound so keep spending your money on over price power amps. I love my Emotiva and I sir had my fair share of power amps

Of course it's my opinion. That's why we're here, to debate. Anyway, I wouldn't say a lot of amps, really. What Emotiva really is, is a decent high powered Class A/B solid state amp. Is it enough for most people ie non audiophiles, absolutely. Is it good bang for the buck, definitely. But for those who want the ultimate in sound and musical capabilities ie the sound of real instruments in the room, and the emotions that music brings to the table, it's gonna fall way short. As for overpriced, well sure, that is a problem in the high end is high price....however, however, you get what you pay for in most cases.

SEAWOLF97
03-26-2014, 12:16 PM
I CAN care less ......

NOT to inflame things , but to clarify, (I have no dog in this fight ... ;))

think about what "I CAN care less" means , phrase is properly used "I CAN't care less"

unless you meant what you wrote :dont-know:

BMWCCA
03-26-2014, 08:25 PM

The fact is there are quite a few knowledgeable folk who would disagree with you.

Ian Mackenzie
03-29-2014, 02:29 AM
Guys

There is no debate.

If someone likes his new kit there is no harm in expressing that.

Unless you can prove you have the same listening skills, are present in the same room at the time of the evaluation I don't think its worthy of conversation.

There have been rule breaker brands in the past Carver and Hafler to name just two.

If anything I think satisfaction needs to stand the test of time.

sweet212
03-30-2014, 06:52 PM
The price $899 - tempting and from the feedback as well... in fact too tempting.
My XPA arrives tomorrow or Tuesday. My old Phase Linear sounds OK - but unreliable - especially when powering my precious 1400's. Will be interesting to see if 30 years of electronic development makes an audible difference. Keep you posted to what it sounds like.
Thanks to the one who started this thread.

Dave_72
03-30-2014, 11:17 PM
The fact is there are quite a few knowledgeable folk who would disagree with you.

Fair enough, and in turn there's gonna be quite a few that agree with me. If Emotiva is as good as claimed, why is there so much of it on the used market, and why doesn't everyone and their mother own it? :D

hjames
03-31-2014, 04:15 AM
Fair enough ... If Emotiva is as good as claimed, why is there so much of it on the used market,
and why doesn't everyone and their mother own it? :D

Straw man argument, huh ... thats E A S Y !
Why doesn't everyone own Crown, or Integra, Marantz, or McIntosh?
because we all hear things differently, have different audio tastes, and have different budgetary constraints.
Plus, some folks are more interested in their audio posture when it comes to what gear they buy ...
as to why its on the used market, some folks live with upgrade-itis ...
always have to have the latest, greatest thing, or constaintly trading gear to try something else,
something different ...

Heck, I'm guilty of that one - buying different speakers (KEF) when I have perfectly good JBLs to enjoy!

Dave_72
03-31-2014, 07:04 AM
Straw man argument, huh ... thats E A S Y !
Why doesn't everyone own Crown, or Integra, Marantz, or McIntosh?
because we all hear things differently, have different audio tastes, and have different budgetary constraints.
Plus, some folks are more interested in their audio posture when it comes to what gear they buy ...
as to why its on the used market, some folks live with upgrade-itis ...
always have to have the latest, greatest thing, or constaintly trading gear to try something else,
something different ...

Heck, I'm guilty of that one - buying different speakers (KEF) when I have perfectly good JBLs to enjoy!

True...Emotiva's pretty good stuff actually, it just can't compare to McIntosh, Luxman, Accuphase, and Pass Labs just to name a few. IMO, of course. :D

I don't believe it was intended to, or designed to.

Now if we're talking Rotel and NAD, then Emotiva probably is just as good or better , imo.

Basically, Emotiva is good mid fi, or upper mid fi. It's just not high end, imo.

hjames
03-31-2014, 07:10 AM
True...Emotiva's pretty good stuff actually, it just can't compare to McIntosh, Luxman, Accuphase, and Pass Labs just to name a few. IMO, of course. :D

I don't believe it was intended to, or designed to.

Now if we're talking Rotel and NAD, then Emotiva probably is just as good or better , imo.

Basically, Emotiva is good mid fi, or upper mid fi. It's just not high end, imo.

Sure - just like I said, we all have different budgetary concerns ...
for some folks, that last half-percent or so of fidelity/quality just isn't worth the 10x increase in price ...

YMMV, of course ...

Mr. Widget
03-31-2014, 10:46 AM
Basically, Emotiva is good mid fi, or upper mid fi. It's just not high end, imo.What are you basing your comments on? Have you carefully auditioned each of these amps you are talking about or distilling on line chatter?

I haven't personally heard any Emotiva gear... it may not be as good as the best, but it might be. It is certainly possible that they have a model or two that out shines some individual components from the list of "High End" manufacturers that you seem convinced are superior.

Widget

Dave_72
03-31-2014, 03:03 PM
What are you basing your comments on? Have you carefully auditioned each of these amps you are talking about or distilling on line chatter?

I haven't personally heard any Emotiva gear... it may not be as good as the best, but it might be. It is certainly possible that they have a model or two that out shines some individual components from the list of "High End" manufacturers that you seem convinced are superior.

Widget

Yes, I have auditioned them. Like I said, good bang for the buck. I don't believe it's possible, since Emotiva is built to a price point like most low end and mid fi stuff. They might, but I highly doubt it. The quality of parts and the overall design is not to the level of the High End manufacturers I listed. They can come close, but no cigar, imo.

Dave_72
03-31-2014, 03:06 PM
Sure - just like I said, we all have different budgetary concerns ...
for some folks, that last half-percent or so of fidelity/quality just isn't worth the 10x increase in price ...

YMMV, of course ...

Well, it's more than a last half percent, imo. You can't knock the artistry, engineering, and quality of the better high end amps. They are works of art that enrich your life to the utmost degree. But I see what you're getting at there. Again, for most people, Emotiva fulfills their needs.

hjames
03-31-2014, 03:46 PM
Well, it's more than a last half percent, imo. You can't knock the artistry, engineering, and quality of the better high end amps. They are works of art that enrich your life to the utmost degree. But I see what you're getting at there. Again, for most people, Emotiva fulfills their needs.

'Course I don't any of their gear ... :D

gcarlberg
04-01-2014, 11:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TDFuSZ05Rck

george

Titanium Dome
04-17-2014, 10:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TDFuSZ05Rck

george

Funny stuff that is. :D

Robh3606
04-18-2014, 08:33 AM
Hello Dino

So how's it going with the amp?? I like the EMO amps and have 2 set-ups using them.

Rob