PDA

View Full Version : JBL L300 found! Help me evaluate conditions

otenmsa
03-10-2014, 04:09 PM
I got offered these L300 locally, I really appreciate if you could help me evaluate the condition of the cabinet and drivers in a scale of 0-10. It seems the the woofers were refoamed glued to the front instead of to the rear, that's right? Are those the right drivers? Thanks! http://imageshack.com/a/img19/6885/ny76.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img34/4412/ydgy.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img18/1507/q2cf.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img30/2506/yvxb.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img199/1029/p3tf.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img268/6663/hmdv.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img42/7058/oh2m.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img21/3995/wkc5.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img819/9733/k4ke.jpg

Lee in Montreal
03-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Congrats on your find. I wish to help, but my eyes hurt from the blurry and shaky pictures. :(

Audiobeer
03-10-2014, 06:00 PM
I'll have to second Lee's statement. Those pictures make it impossible to tell. Get us some good pics of the drivers and cabinets.

otenmsa
03-10-2014, 06:54 PM
I didn't buy it yet, I just got offered to buy it but I didn't see it personally.

I wish I could put some better photos, the photographer has shaky hands it seems.

I mean out of these photos, is there a possibility we can judge the condition? It seems the woofer has not been refoamed correctly. Would this impact in sound?

Lee in Montreal
03-10-2014, 07:47 PM
I didn't buy it yet, I just got offered to buy it but I didn't see it personally.

I wish I could put some better photos, the photographer has shaky hands it seems.

I mean out of these photos, is there a possibility we can judge the condition? It seems the woofer has not been refoamed correctly. Would this impact in sound?I can't see anything. Difficult to pass judgement. All I could notice was that it's missing the slates on the midrange.

ivica
03-11-2014, 02:52 AM

I mean out of these photos, is there a possibility we can judge the condition? It seems the woofer has not been re-foamed correctly. Would this impact in sound?

Hi otenmsa,

for sure bass-cone suspension is not the original one, neither the appropriated one, but may be T/S parameters would not differ too much in comparison to the JBL spec.
I can see the lenses (2308 -H91) either, so have to be ordered.

Reagrads
Ivica

martin_wu99
03-11-2014, 04:54 AM
What camera are you using?today even the cheap mobile phone can take clear photo:blink:

hjames
03-11-2014, 05:14 AM
What camera are you using?today even the cheap mobile phone can take clear photo:blink:

It doesn't MATTER what camera is being used - this is about the SPEAKERS.
Apparently the SELLER took the pictures that were provided ...

I just got offered to buy it but I didn't see it personally.

Read carefully now, I don't think the SELLER is reading this conversation ...

wpod
03-11-2014, 05:53 AM
Your location is listed as RS, I have no idea what or where that is located. Will the seller allow you to view them in person and perhaps remove a few screws? With a sale that will most likely exceed a thousand dollars , you need to thoroughly check what components are in the cabinet , unless the seller will GUARANTEE that they contain the original components. Good Luck and keep us posted!

jbl
03-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Not enough information for me to offer an opinion. You need to ask or see what woofer is installed. The surround isn't the correct type. Was the woofer reconed or just a refoam? (Glued to the front is incorrect) What Midrange, Horn, lens & UFH drivers are installed? Where were the cabinets stored?:dont-know:

otenmsa
03-11-2014, 12:57 PM
According to the seller, all drivers are original and the woofer is a JBL 136A, it has been refoamed but not reconed so he says.

otenmsa
03-11-2014, 01:01 PM
The seller also has a 4333 so he said in case I buy the L300, he could swap the woofers. These are the woofers on the 4333. Again sorry for the shaky photos. It seems to be a JBL 2231A. Seller claims the woofer to be reconed. I asked him now to check what is written on the rear of the cones.

Does this look like a 2235H or 2231H recone?

http://imageshack.com/a/img580/5504/0dju.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img34/1863/6vus.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img31/7205/lpii.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img31/8103/1x1g.jpg

otenmsa
03-11-2014, 01:02 PM
I'm located in Brazil. :)
Your location is listed as RS, I have no idea what or where that is located. Will the seller allow you to view them in person and perhaps remove a few screws? With a sale that will most likely exceed a thousand dollars , you need to thoroughly check what components are in the cabinet , unless the seller will GUARANTEE that they contain the original components. Good Luck and keep us posted!

otenmsa
03-12-2014, 07:03 AM
The seller said on the back of the 2231A cone from the 4333 there's nothing written. Could this be a recone with original JBL kit?

otenmsa
03-12-2014, 07:18 AM
What is wrong with the bass-cone suspension? This look like aftermarket kit?

Hi otenmsa,

for sure bass-cone suspension is not the original one, neither the appropriated one, but may be T/S parameters would not differ too much in comparison to the JBL spec.
I can see the lenses (2308 -H91) either, so have to be ordered.

Reagrads
Ivica

martin2395
03-12-2014, 08:33 AM
The suspension is glued to the OUTSIDE of the cone, which is wrong. It should look like on the 2231A's from the 4333.

ivica
03-12-2014, 02:43 PM
The suspension is glued to the OUTSIDE of the cone, which is wrong. It should look like on the 2231A's from the 4333.

I agree with martin2395, as I have previously said.

Regards
ivica

martin_wu99
03-13-2014, 12:49 AM
The seller said on the back of the 2231A cone from the 4333 there's nothing written. Could this be a recone with original JBL kit?
Usually there are some white handwrite numbers on the back of cone,but maye some exceptions.

martin_wu99
03-13-2014, 12:57 AM

Why SELLER took such shaky pics?he want to hide something?:crying:

audiomagnate
03-13-2014, 05:04 AM
Why SELLER took such shaky pics?he want to hide something?:crying:

Shaky crappy pictures are a good thing, it almost always means a lower price. From what I can see without vomiting, they look great. It looks like the cardboard/foam sheets are missing from underneath the glass, but that's a super easy fix with a trip to the art supply store. I have no idea how you can tell if they got the woofer surround on the correct side, but I doubt if makes any real difference. The width of the surround roll looks like it's right (thinner than most 15"s). GO GET THEM! I love my L300s and those look fine and original to me.

trueview
03-13-2014, 10:50 PM

Why is it every time I see a snide remark here...your name is next to it?

hjames
03-14-2014, 02:36 AM

I don't know why - perhaps you don't get out enough?

(Have you read the XPA Gen-2 thread? - the snide comments there aren't from me!)

But really - what value did Mr Wu provide by dinging the poster about using a better camera
when the poster's question was about the quality of speakers he was looking to buy?

Lee in Montreal
03-14-2014, 02:54 PM
Why is it every time I see a snide remark here...your name is next to it? Hmm... I don't remember Heather ever making an unfounded snide remark. If she's guilty of such action in one of your threads, then something most likely have triggered the remark... ;)

BMWCCA
03-14-2014, 05:47 PM

Ahh, I get it — the "West Coast Sound" is a large sucking noise out of San Clemente! :banghead:

Lee in Montreal
03-14-2014, 06:31 PM
Ahh, I get it — the "West Coast Sound" is a large sucking noise out of San Clemente! :banghead:
Okay. You clearly got me interesedt. Searching for that "West Coast Sound" :D

Mr. Widget
03-14-2014, 09:10 PM
Knock it off you guys!

Widget

mech986
03-15-2014, 12:05 AM
Back to the question that the OP asked.

1. The cabinet condition is unanswerable because we have no pictures other than that of the front baffle and the grilles. There are no pictures of the sides, top, rear, or even the bottom plinth, so we are unable to assess the cabinet veneer, even color or condition, and the care of them. IMO, you need to see more pictures, well lit, in color, and with the camera held steady - have the seller set up a chair with a high back in front of the speakers where he want to shoot them from, and place the camera against the chair top while he sits in it. That way, the chair is steadied by his weight, and he can point and pivot the camera using the chair back/top as a steadying influence. If you have to, have him shoot with a lot of bright light in the room, or use the flash.

2. As noted, the L91/2308 lenses are missing, and if so, need to be sourced and replaced. That amount should be deducted from any costs (about $150 USD).

3. The woofer has been refoamed because the outer front gasket is wrong, appears to be the typical layered paper/cardboard with pre-cut angled mounting holes. It is also thicker and wider than the OEM firm sponge neoprene material. As noted, the surround has been glued onto the front edge of the woofer cone instead of the original OEM position of behind the cone. Also, I'd lay odds that the surround roll is the more common wide roll of >1/2 inch vs. the correct narrow roll as seen on the 4333's 2231A woofer. A comparison of both should be instructive. Sometimes the original neoprene gasket or similar can be sourced from ebay. IMO, it looks a lot better than the paper gasket because that gives it a sort of generic appearance, whereas the neoprene gasket is purely JBL.

4. If the L300's 136A woofer cone is still original and is otherwise functioning normally, I'd suggest having it refoamed correctly with Rick Cobb surrounds. If done carefully, it will not have that much cosmetic impact, the old front glue edge may be masked by a bit of matching gray spray paint. This will preserve the original 136A which will sometimes help with the resale value in the future. Otherwise, if the 2231A's are in good condition, functionally it will be an appropriate swap. However, you should check the condition of the 2231A surrounds. If they have been more than 5-7 years, they also could need resurrounding in the near future.

With any refoaming or resurrounding, you may need to consider using a test tone to center the voice coil, or cut the center dust cap carefully, and then shim. Some cut the dustcap as close to the glue joint (carefully) and leave a bit at the end to pivot the cap over, then carefully reglue, using the glue to hid the joint. Others will suggest replacing the dust cap, usually needing to use a slightly wider or larger diameter cap. that is why some speakers look like the caps are a bit larger than usual. the color of the cap will obviously vary from supplier to supplier. Unless carefully color matched, its hard to get a match. Most people do not run speakers without the grille so it won't be seen usually. Even if unevenly colored, there is usually no impact on performance assuming the dustcap is properly glue back on and reasonably centered.

Bart

otenmsa
03-15-2014, 05:12 AM
Thank you Bart, here are more pictures to help evaluate the cabinets condition. I noticed that the black on the front baffle doesn't seem to be uniform. Could it be dirt easily wiped away? Or I should apply some product?

http://imageshack.com/a/img713/319/om4m.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img22/2058/u5zg.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img856/6074/h18q.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img268/6663/hmdv.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img199/1029/p3tf.jpg

hjames
03-15-2014, 05:45 AM
Well, That one shows the Lens - does it come with just one, or are there a pair of lenses (that's the vertical slat things that hook onto the front baffle over the tweeter horn, usually mounted with velcro pads)

The grey/white on the wood on the side of the one speaker in picture 2 below could mean the wood is scraped up, or something had been rubbed onto the wood, or it could go away if you rub the wood down with some nice furniture oil ... its hard to say.

Same thing with the black baffle "issue" you mentioned.

But honestly, I wouldn't start thinking about apply any kind of product until you can get a closer look at them, and HEAR how they sound. If they don't play very well, the rest is all moot.

richluvsound
03-15-2014, 11:53 AM
They don't look like the right surrounds …. maybe after market re-cone ???

Rich

otenmsa
03-15-2014, 12:36 PM
They don't look like the right surrounds …. maybe after market re-cone ???

Rich

Hi Rich, yes, but the seller can swap the woofer for a pair of 2231H, I posted the photo in this thread. Those woofers seem like the correct surround, right?

martin_wu99
03-23-2014, 10:11 AM
Thanks for your kindness.

martin_wu99
03-23-2014, 10:19 AM
I don't know why - perhaps you don't get out enough?

(Have you read the XPA Gen-2 thread? - the snide comments there aren't from me!)

But really - what value did Mr Wu provide by dinging the poster about using a better camera
when the poster's question was about the quality of speakers he was looking to buy?
Everybody know this is a speaker forum not a camera forum,you know what i mean,i complain shaky pics in order i can give him some suggestions.

hjames
03-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Apparently you and some other guy misinderstood what I was saying.
You asked the would-be BUYER why the pictures were so blurry and said a good camera is affordable.
I told you the pictures came from the SELLER who was not a member of the site, and was not reading the thread.
Since he was not here to read your posts, it did not make sense for you to ding the would be buyer about the pictures.

This was not an insult, just an attempt to get the thread back on topic,
which was the L300 speakers the original poster was asking about.

Everybody know this is a speaker forum not a camera forum,
you know what i mean,i complain shaky pics in order i can give him some suggestions.

Again, you cannot give him suggestions because HE (the seller)
is not a member of the site or part of the thread.

You apparently do not know that fact, so I try to tell you.
I try and tell you this 3 times now, ok?

otenmsa
03-23-2014, 05:17 PM
OK if you can help me, I posted more photos so we can evaluate the conditions.

hjames
03-23-2014, 06:23 PM
OK if you can help me, I posted more photos so we can evaluate the conditions.

Well, the real answer is - they are speakers - you need to listen to them to determine
how they sound and that will tell you how well they have been maintained.

Speculating on looks alone on a limited set of photos - frankly, they can hide a lot.

If I may be so bold - what kind of money are they asking for them?
(with or without swapping the woofers from the other pair of speakers you mentioned)

martin_wu99
03-24-2014, 01:36 AM
Apparently you and some other guy misinderstood what I was saying.
You asked the would-be BUYER why the pictures were so blurry and said a good camera is affordable.
I told you the pictures came from the SELLER who was not a member of the site, and was not reading the thread.
Since he was not here to read your posts, it did not make sense for you to ding the would be buyer about the pictures.

This was not an insult, just an attempt to get the thread back on topic,
which was the L300 speakers the original poster was asking about.

Again, you cannot give him suggestions because HE (the seller)
is not a member of the site or part of the thread.

You apparently do not know that fact, so I try to tell you.
I try and tell you this 3 times now, ok?
Ok,hjames,let's stop argument and go back to the topic to see
if we can give him a help.

audiomagnate
03-25-2014, 03:49 AM
Except for the crappy refoam job, which is easy to fix, they look fine to me. I would want to take a peak at the crossovers to make sure they haven't been messed with. Buy them and have them properly refoamed. I love everything about my L300s. The lowboy styling doesn't make it look like I have a pair of refrigerators in the room, which is a huge plus IMO. If they're around four to five thousand, that's fair. If less, even better. BUY THEM!

gferrell
03-27-2014, 06:22 PM
I wish I could find a pair!

audiomagnate
03-27-2014, 10:33 PM
There's a pair on ebay, but they're in Canada and don't look all that great.

sonofagun
04-06-2014, 12:48 PM
Good grief - what does it take to find out what the he** the seller wants for them - question has been asked a couple times already! Could make a big difference to this discussion.

Or is it one of those "make me an offer" deals? :blink:

audiomagnate
04-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Good grief - what does it take to find out what the he** the seller wants for them - question has been asked a couple times already! Could make a big difference to this discussion.

Or is it one of those "make me an offer" deals? :blink:

Maybe they're goofy cheap and the OP doesn't want to reveal that fact to all the JBL hunters on this board.BTW it looks like there is some rodent infestation going on with the one 4333.

sonofagun
04-06-2014, 05:37 PM
If they are, then he should buy them! :thmbsup:

gsb001
04-06-2014, 06:50 PM
How much? Three pages of posts and no price?
SB

audiomagnate
04-06-2014, 08:42 PM
How much? Three pages of posts and no price?
SB

If he ended up snagging them he's probably too busy enjoying them to be hanging out here. But I agree, asking if something is a good deal and not revealing the price is a little odd.