PDA

View Full Version : MY 4343's

markymark
10-22-2004, 08:58 AM
First let me say that I'm new to the site and I can't believe that it's been around so long without me finding it! I've owned my pair of 4343's since I bought them new as a "kid" in 1980. My woofs have been reconed a couple of times but other than that they are in mint conditon. I will NEVER get rid of these because quite frankly I haven't heard anything I like better. After reading mostly every post about the 4343 (my head hurts!) I have lots of questions. I run my 4343's with a Crown DC 300a and an IC 150 preamp. I've just aquired a second 300 and I now want to Biamp my 4343's. I consider myself somewhat of an audiophile however I'm no where near some of the people who post here. Some of it is rather intimidating. I reside in South Florida and would welcome suggestions as to some professional help. I've scoured the JBL Pro website and know that they used a 5235 crossover. I see these for sale from time to time on Ebay? What other type of crossover could be used? Are there any step by steps anywhere as to how to undertake this project as I am somewhat technical. All help is greatly appreciated.

Robh3606
10-22-2004, 10:02 AM
Hello Markymark

Welcome to the site! I run a pair of 4344's biamped. I use a JBL M552 electronic crossover. I like it because it is very clean and quiet, has mute switches and is very easy to set-up. I also have a 5235 that I plan on trying once I get the correct cards. You could also use a 5234. If you do score either the 5234/5235 the manuals have the schematics so you can modify a set of cards to the correct ones. Just remember there are 2 card types one for 12db/octave and 18db. If you decide to use the 5235 and use the XLR's watch the polarity!!! It is not the Pin 2 hot that is the norm on todays gear.

As far as step by step it really straight forward. Pre-out to the crossover and then from the crossover to the appropriate amps. I assume there is a biamp switch on the crossover which obviously must be changed to the correct position. Really not to much to it.
The manuals for both are available on the JBL Pro Site. Attached Link

Can you show us some pictures?? We love looking at this stuff:bouncy:

http://www.jblproservice.com/navigation/Vintage%20JBL-UREI%20Electronics.html

Rob:) :smthsail:

markymark
10-22-2004, 05:27 PM
OK Here's some pix. They are housed in a wall unit. I found some very similar grille cloth and made the covers. For the wife of course!

Tom Loizeaux
10-22-2004, 05:32 PM
I think you'll like bi-amping your 4343s.
I use some older Crown PS amps for my 4343s. I have been using a Rane crossover because it makes it easy for me to adjust several settings. However, after using these for more then a year now, I'm ready to switch to the Crown FFX-2 crossover, set up with resistors to give me a 275Hz @ 18 dB/ octave crossover.
Then I'll have a complete vintage Crown setup; a Crown PSL-2 preamp, the Crown FFX-2 crossover, and then a Crown PS-400 for lows and a PS-200 for the highs.
Though there are more modern amps, there's something very satisfying about a matched, classic setup that also stuns me every time I turn it up!

Tom

markymark
10-23-2004, 02:32 AM
I think I've figured out how to put the pix up.

markymark
10-23-2004, 02:35 AM
Another pix

Robh3606
10-23-2004, 06:31 AM
Hey you have 2122's in there on the mids!

Rob:)

Figge
10-23-2004, 06:35 AM
welcome aboard!

fabulouse speakers! but if i were u iŽd mount the 077:s vertical in the upper holes, and also mount the hornlens horisontal...but thats just what i would do...

regards f

Robh3606
10-23-2004, 09:33 AM
Actually the entire high frequency baffle with the 2122/2420/2405 can be rotated 90 degress so the high frequency drivers are up top.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/pro-speakers/1977-4343.htm

Rob:)

Figge
10-23-2004, 09:47 AM
ok when you put it that way...thats exactly what i would do! i didnt think of that! anyways eather method would probably be an improvement.

markymark
10-23-2004, 01:01 PM
Thanks Rob and Figge for the reply. Wow, Rob, you're right. The baffle could be turned sideways. I'm gonna take them out of the wall unit and turn them sideways. I never thought of it. The one on the other side of the also has the horn lens pointed toward the center with the tweet on top but turning the baffles so they both are exact would definetely be an improvement. That am biamping them I'll let you know how they come out. Thanks again

Figge
10-23-2004, 05:47 PM
bi-amp would probably make an improvement too! but getting the baffles right is the most importent thing right now...imo!

cool howerver the way u mounted em into the wall!

R/F

boputnam
11-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by markymark
Thanks Rob and Figge for the reply. Wow, Rob, you're right. The baffle could be turned sideways. I'm gonna take them out of the wall unit and turn them sideways. I never thought of it. The one on the other side of the also has the horn lens pointed toward the center with the tweet on top but turning the baffles so they both are exact would definetely be an improvement. That am biamping them I'll let you know how they come out. Thanks again If it were me, I'd rotate each entire cabinet - thereby putting the LF closest to the center and the UHF furthest from the center. Will improve stereo imaging...

Like this:

markymark
11-05-2004, 05:25 PM
I could be standing them upright again. But it's a good idea along with rotating the baffles so the horn's are on top.