PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4311B Surrounds 'dripping'

Woofer
03-01-2014, 04:14 AM
*Firstly, my apologies if this has been covered here somewhere, but I've spent an hour searching about and still haven't found any clues.

If you know of the thread, please post me the link.

The problem:

What is this sticky stuff, which appears to be oozing from the surrounds of the 2213 woofer, and what will remove it without damage to the baffle's finish?
Obviously Acetone is out of the question, so what would anybody recommend to get it off?

Warm water with a bit of detergent does seem to soften it up apparently, but the extra rubbing is leaving its mark.

Here's a pic borrowed from 'somewhere else', but unfortunately the chap restoring that particular box DID use Acetone, with obviously disastrous results.

If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers all…..
Woofer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/2013/file-1.jpg

UPDATE:

I did find this, but nobody mentions specifically how to get it off safely.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?14837-Dripping-resin

hjames
03-01-2014, 05:59 AM
I had a pair of JBL 4312As back in Dec-Jan 2005/6 and I hate that crap.
I believe that goop is designed to keep the cloth surrounds flexible and sealed.
The best approach to prevent the it from oozing down the face is to rotate the woofers seasonally,
to keep the ooze in motion so gravity never lets it get to the baffle.
Or lay it on its back if its not going to be used for a while, NOT in a hot attic!
When you decide to rotate the woofer, while the woofer is out, use isopropyl alcohol to clean up the bafflboard.

Or sell them and buy JBLs that don't use that ... stuff. (That's what I did ... bought 4320s and never looked back)

*Firstly, my apologies if this has been covered here somewhere, but I've spent an hour searching about and still haven't found any clues.

If you know of the thread, please post me the link.

The problem:

What is this sticky stuff, which appears to be oozing from the surrounds of the 2213 woofer, and what will remove it without damage to the baffle's finish?
Obviously Acetone is out of the question, so what would anybody recommend to get it off?

Warm water with a bit of detergent does seem to soften it up apparently, but the extra rubbing is leaving its mark.

Here's a pic borrowed from 'somewhere else', but unfortunately the chap restoring that particular box DID use Acetone, with obviously disastrous results.

If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers all…..
Woofer.

UPDATE:

I did find this, but nobody mentions specifically how to get it off safely.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?14837-Dripping-resin

Woofer
03-01-2014, 06:38 AM
I had a pair of JBL 4312As back in Dec-Jan 2005/6 and I hate that crap.
I believe that goop is designed to keep the cloth surrounds flexible and sealed.
The best approach to prevent the it from oozing down the face is to rotate the woofers seasonally,
to keep the ooze in motion so gravity never lets it get to the baffle.
Or lay it on its back if its not going to be used for a while, NOT in a hot attic!
When you decide to rotate the woofer, while the woofer is out, use isopropyl alcohol to clean up the bafflboard.

Or sell them and buy JBLs that don't use that ... stuff. (That's what I did ... bought 4320s and never looked back)

I appreciate what you're saying Heather (and thanx heaps for your input), but it's way past that now, and the problem at hand, is how to get rid of it with minimal damage that wouldn't mean refinishing the whole baffle.

These were bought by a very good friend of mine, and the challenge is now, how to fix it.

I too am a 4320 fan, (been looking for a pair of empty boxes now for ages), but they are pretty rare down here in Australia, even given that there is one pair currently available on the 'Bay down here, which will fetch a handsome premium no doubt, but even THEY have the wrong surrounds fitted to what should be foam surrounds on 2215's. They appear to have been re-coned, and the irony is, with very similar surrounds to what these 4311B's have! Yes, goopy accordion surrounds.

You just can't win down here, and so you take what you can get, and THEN try to rectify the problems.

Anyway, one problem at a time….. What gets this gunk off, without having to re-finish the fronts?

Can any one else support the Isopropyl course of action?

macaroonie
03-01-2014, 06:59 AM
Have a try with zippo type lighter fluid

Woofer
03-01-2014, 07:23 AM
Have a try with zippo type lighter fluid

Yep. Good ol' Shellite. Had some, but drank it all, along with the Iso…. LoL.

Point is, I'm in a different part of the country to where the speakers are, and even tho' I have a heap of solvents here, my pal doesn't have anything until I actually recommend something, that hopefully someone here has first hand experience with and is known to work.
Just trying to help keep his cost to a minimum, without the need to experiment, and adding to the costs already.

:o:

macaroonie
03-01-2014, 07:31 AM
I believe that the goop is a petroleum based material , hence the recommendation. Also from experience lighter fluid will not mess up the paint unless you are seriously vigorous with it.

Woofer
03-01-2014, 07:40 AM
I believe that the goop is a petroleum based material , hence the recommendation. Also from experience lighter fluid will not mess up the paint unless you are seriously vigorous with it.

That's pretty well exactly what I was thinking actually just before you posted it.
I look around me, and out of all the JBL's I do have here, I don't have anything with a 2213 to experiment on. :(
I will pass on that suggestion.
It may take some time, but eventually I will post a definitive answer on this.

grumpy
03-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Well, good luck.

When I removed the goop on the baffle of the 4311B units I cleaned up, the paint came with the goop,
requiring the rest of the drivers to come out, and a baffle respray.

Worked well enough though, as I re-affixed the input terminal boards in the process
(held in with staples and sometime glue... so they often come loose).

martin2395
03-01-2014, 01:43 PM
I had exactly the same problem with 4311BWX's. My advice is not to rub it etc. as even if you succeed to remove it, it will still leave a mark on the paint!

Just turn the woofer around to prevent more dripping.

ratitifb
03-01-2014, 05:32 PM
My advice is not to rub it etc. as even if you succeed to remove it, it will still leave a mark on the paint!agree with that but when it's to late to turn the woofer around you can try to remove the goop by rubbing it with finger and by helping with heat gun

Woofer
03-01-2014, 05:38 PM
agree with that but when it's to late to turn the woofer around you can try to remove the goop by rubbing it with finger and by helping with heat gun

I guess the woofer itself is not the problem. Just getting it off the baffle is the challenge, without having to resort to refinishing the whole thing.
I wish I had them here on m bench, but like I said, they're in another part of the country, and it is one of my best mates, and I want to help…… :crying:

ratitifb
03-01-2014, 05:45 PM
sorry but my thoughts was "you can try to remove the goop on the baffle by rubbing it with finger and by helping with heat gun":dont-know:

Woofer
03-01-2014, 06:05 PM
sorry but my thoughts was "you can try to remove the goop on the baffle by rubbing it with finger and by helping with heat gun":dont-know:

I appreciate your input. ;)

ratitifb
03-03-2014, 01:31 AM
I appreciate your input. ;)u're welcome :p

I have done this on my 4312 with some success but i must say that the amount of goop on the baffle was less due to the drivers arrangement with the 4312 (boomer on the bottom) vs 4311 (boomer on the top). Only a very slight trace (not visible from 1m) remains on then black paint just below the boomer.

Woofer
04-05-2014, 09:46 AM
Well I never got to experience them first hand, and the owner has since moved them on, so I guess I'll never know…. :(