PDA

View Full Version : L65 Impulse Buy

RLock
02-23-2014, 02:50 PM
Bought a set of L65 Jubal cabinets (no drivers) with what looks to be the L65 network prior to doing my homework thinking they were the one and the same. I see the L65 has 75W capability whereas the L65A has 200W which is what I am seeking. I think I can upgrade a L65A network from scratch using parts from Parts Express or purchase a L65A network off the web. The only difference I can see is the baffle placement which I anticipate to be practically inaudible. Any advice from an expert as to any pitfalls of this strategy would be appreciated.

Mr. Widget
02-23-2014, 03:48 PM
I see the L65 has 75W capability whereas the L65A has 200W which is what I am seeking.I wouldn't sweat it... the difference is likely due more to different measurement techniques than actual performance differences.

Widget

RLock
02-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the feeback. Can you elaborate a little more? Is there no real difference in the cabinets or the crossover or the power rating ?

Mr. Widget
02-24-2014, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the feeback. Can you elaborate a little more? Is there no real difference in the cabinets or the crossover or the power rating ?I'm not an L65 expert, so I can't really give you definitive answers, but I do know that the differences between the different L65s are not so significant. Also, in general loudspeaker power ratings are fairly arbitrary and kind of silly. Any decent speaker will work well with a power amp in the 200 wpc range as long as you don't clip the amp and you don't run the speaker into excessive distortion.

As for the specific ratings, over the years JBL changed measurement techniques many times so the exact same speaker or driver will have very different ratings, depending on the date of the published specs.

Now about L65s, I am not saying they are all identical... the cabs may be, I don't know, but there are definitely some versions that are more popular than others... do a few searches here. I'd suggest you should look back 5 or more years and you will likely see a number of discussions on the different versions.

Widget

Robh3606
02-24-2014, 05:20 AM
There were 3 versions with 3 different woofers the 126A, 122A, and 129H. All 3 had different crossovers. Pick your woofers and then go with the appropriate crossovers or visa versa. Look in the tech sections for the Tech Sheets

Rob:)

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?10661-JBL-Consumer-Tech-Sheet-Links

RLock
02-24-2014, 06:56 AM
Thanks guys!