PDA

View Full Version : Capacitor characteristics by brand?

stupidhead
02-12-2014, 03:58 AM
Hello folks. So as some will recall, I am new to this wonderful hobby, and once again reaching out for some insights from those more knowledgeable I am currently in the process of gathering info and materials for a set of L110s. My particular question for this forum is in redoing the crossover. I have read a variety of comments that suggest the various cap manufacturers will have almost signature results in this application. I know that we all have individual tastes as far as the volume an tones that we listen to music so I am not going to ask what is your favorite. I will explain that I prefer crisp, but not necessarily bright highs, and tight, natural lows. In the past I have generally left my bass and treble controls at flat settings and not exaggerating either highs or lows. With that, my question now is which brand caps (and resistors for that matter) will give me the type of sound I am hoping for? I am not afraid to spend a little more for caps than average to get to where I want to be, but there is a limit as well. The caps I need for this project are 36uf, 12uf, 6uf, 4uf,and 18uf.
Thanx to wpod (and others) for their guidance and encouragement so far on this endeavor. The selfless help and motivation that forums like this give is a refreshing change from the normal internet vibe. 61528

audiomagnate
04-14-2014, 06:51 AM
Hello folks. So as some will recall, I am new to this wonderful hobby, and once again reaching out for some insights from those more knowledgeable I am currently in the process of gathering info and materials for a set of L110s. My particular question for this forum is in redoing the crossover. I have read a variety of comments that suggest the various cap manufacturers will have almost signature results in this application. I know that we all have individual tastes as far as the volume an tones that we listen to music so I am not going to ask what is your favorite. I will explain that I prefer crisp, but not necessarily bright highs, and tight, natural lows. In the past I have generally left my bass and treble controls at flat settings and not exaggerating either highs or lows. With that, my question now is which brand caps (and resistors for that matter) will give me the type of sound I am hoping for? I am not afraid to spend a little more for caps than average to get to where I want to be, but there is a limit as well. The caps I need for this project are 36uf, 12uf, 6uf, 4uf,and 18uf.
Thanx to wpod (and others) for their guidance and encouragement so far on this endeavor. The selfless help and motivation that forums like this give is a refreshing change from the normal internet vibe. 61528

FWIW, I put Clarity ESA caps in the tweeter section of one L300 and left the other one stock and couldn't hear a difference between the two.

fpitas
04-14-2014, 08:37 AM
It's hard to go wrong with polypropylene caps from Parts Express:

http://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=polypropylene&sitesearch=true

Ian Mackenzie
04-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Follow the fit for purpose routine.

Suggest given size of low pass filter capacitor you use non polar audio grade , and charge-couple with solen the smaller values(value x 2, quantity x 2)

This was the approach on the K2 systems