PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Guidance - Older Altec Speakers

j2d
02-09-2014, 07:15 PM
I have a pair of Altec Lansing speakers I am trying to decide what to do with. These were purchased from Chris Swansen in the 70s. I had always considered them to be A7’s but the cabinet appears to be more like a Valencia. Finish and grills are in rough shape but they are still quite sound as they are solid wood. When I purchased these, Chris mentioned that he acquired them from Robert Moog ostensibly with the purchase of one of the first moogs (I presume a minimoog). Chris said he wanted to sell them because they were clipping at about 500 watts and he was going to replace them with studio monitors. I didn’t have any iron big enough to drive them that hard so I was not concerned. Due to the history of these I’m thinking maybe a museum donation would be the most appropriate action. I’ve attached a couple of photos. Notice the back is stenciled with Badger which was Chris’ band. Speakers are wired for bi-amplification – note two jacks on the top end near the high frequency attenuation control. I will open the cabinets and get some photos from the inside for a later post but in the meantime would be interested to hear anything anyone can tell me about these and what this forum thinks should happen to them. It might be nice to reunite them with a mini.

gsb001
02-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Way cool background story.
SB

grumpy
02-09-2014, 10:09 PM
Customized Altec Magnificents, perhaps?