PDA

View Full Version : New Foam ??

Earl K
06-19-2003, 04:27 PM
Hi All
Here's a pair of 112a mid bass 8 inchers (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3031522657&category=3284) that just appeared on eBay.
Since I don't own any of these, I can't answer my own question;
Isn't that foam put on incorrectly ? and therefore giving the coil a negative offset in the gap ?

- I'm not interested in these but others may be , so they should know the facts ( if there's anything to my suspicion ).

- Ever notice how eBay sales , track some of the topics here, such as ; all the current crop of D-130F woofers that popped up like mushrooms on the forest floor after a big rain .

regards <. Earl K

4313B
06-19-2003, 06:02 PM
Yeah Earl, they're jacked up :(

Rex Mills
06-19-2003, 07:26 PM
At the starting price, for incorrectly foamed 112's, I want a whole sack of apples and a carton of Marlboros :)

boputnam
06-19-2003, 07:53 PM
Whoa... Awful!!

Thanks to the pics of the rear of the transducer, you can see the old surround remains on the rear of the cone. But the "new" surrounds were glued (and poorly, at that!) to the front of the cone - incorrect for this driver. And, a lazy resurround (I will NOT revert to name calling... ;) ) at that!

U-G-L-Y Bad resurround! Bad !! :mad:

This could be easily remedied - but now you have TWO surrounds to clean off :D

If they're what you need, and they "look" good otherwise, since they weren't cleaned properly (and therefore not damaged...), just watch for them to be relisted - by the third go-round they should be NR and BIN at low cost! :p

Ha!

But don't stop there - see http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3031388174&category=3284 for a tragedy LE8T resurround (glued onto front instead of rear...).

But LOOK at those dust caps!! Where's the beauty aluminum domes?? Be still, my broken heart :(

4313B
06-19-2003, 07:59 PM
I didn't even look at the starting price Rex. How ludicrous. They are worth $50 each at most as cores... unfortunately it doesn't look like JBL is going to have any recone kits available for these any time soon.

MJC
06-19-2003, 08:13 PM
But LOOK at those dust caps!! Where's the beauty aluminum domes?? Be still, my broken heart :( [/B][/QUOTE]

112As never had aluminum dust caps. At least not the 4 that I have.
The surrounds aren't right, for sure, but not the worst I've seen.
I gave about $30/ea. for a pair that I had reconed for $200/ea earlier this year.

boputnam
06-19-2003, 08:38 PM
...but I was referring to the replaced aluminum domes on the LE8T's that I posted - tangentially - in my reply.

But, you are certainly correct about the 112A's...

Rex Mills
06-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Giskard..the pricing and buying dynamics, on ebay is so fickle it sometimes defies logic. Here is a pair of 2225 baskets, that started at $25.00 with no bids, but 2 weeks ago I saw a pair of the same close at $178.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2538606349&category=23794&rd=1

As an aside, what is a fair price for a pair of 2226J ? New pulls from 4648A.
Thanks!

4313B
06-19-2003, 10:19 PM
Oh darn :( I need a pair of those baskets... I haven't been watching eBay lately.

MSRP as of 10/01/02 for the 2226J is $415 each.

Don C
06-20-2003, 10:55 AM
Those 2225s did have some bids on them, but the seller cancelled the bids and ended the auction early. Look at the bid history.

scott fitlin
06-20-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Giskard
Oh darn :( I need a pair of those baskets... I haven't been watching eBay lately.

MSRP as of 10/01/02 for the 2226J is $415 each. Yeah and up until `97 you could get 2226,s for $210 apiece!

Now I may get crucified for this, but, you can get a TAD-1603 for about the same price as a JBL 2226. In my honest opinion the TAD is a superior sounding woofer! :D

Rex Mills
06-20-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Don C
Those 2225s did have some bids on them, but the seller cancelled the bids and ended the auction early. Look at the bid history.

Don, you're right. I didn't check the bid history. A good example of how screwy ebay can be. Seller sets a VERY low starting bid with no reserve, see's he not going to get what he hoped for and cancels the auction. That's the kind of stuff that pisses folks off about ebay. Tho I blame it on the sellers bad judgement.:confused:

boputnam
06-20-2003, 08:12 PM
My grab is, the seller watched the reviews on The Forum of their ebullient auction attempts, and realized they're missing the best market! :eek:

Ha!

Be ever vigilant, JBL'ers! :p

rjtimmerman
06-26-2003, 07:29 AM
The correct foam kits are no longer available-This is what Orange County Speaker told me. They are a smaller 8" size. What is better...to glue from the front and have it fit (not correct), or place a seam-in foam surround, mount from the the rear? (This is what somebody did to my l212's). I can not hear any sonic distortion-by having this seam. What do you think?:confused:

4313B
06-26-2003, 08:52 AM
It does appear that JBL is discontinuing service for certain transducers such as the 066, 112A/112H, and 2108/2108H. This will affect the owners of the 4313, 4315, L166 and L212.

"I can not hear any sonic distortion-by having this seam."

An A/B would probably be required for most people to hear any difference. I'd have to take measurements myself before coming to any conclusions. It could be that the compliance shift caused by using non-stock foam, or gluing foam surrounds haphazardly, might still fall within the "acceptable" 20% "slop range".

In any case, a $250 transducer probably shouldn't look like a 2 year old child's art project.

Mr. Widget
06-26-2003, 10:18 AM
"In any case, a $250 transducer probably shouldn't look like a 2 year old child's art project."

Ouch!

4313B
06-26-2003, 10:42 AM
Hey, I'm sorry if I've offended any 2 year olds, bless their little hearts :)

I'm going on the assumption that they can't read yet and that they couldn't lift a 112A to refoam it. :)

DavidF
06-26-2003, 01:06 PM
I was considering rehab on a 2105H (LE5-9/11) and now see that this kit has been discontinued.

Don't good things last forever? Can't complain too much. I was recently reminded the benefits of JBL's broad product support when I found my Focal FC120 tweeters had foam rot (the inverted domes are supported by foam surrounds). No luck with suppliers, distributor, or manufacturer. Dang.

I had a pair of 2108Hs reconed not too long ago. The tech was very resistant to my request to save bucks and do a refoam. I am glad he talked me into a full recone. These units are not near 8-inches and the surrounds are very narrow. No doubt the tolerances are pretty close to try to get any aftermarket parts to fit, look and work correctly.

David F

4313B
06-26-2003, 01:59 PM
"Don't good things last forever?"

I guess not. Looks like many of the 70's and 80's systems will no longer be repairable with genuine parts.

Maybe I will hold off on rebuilding my L212 networks as charge coupled versions now that all the side panel components are no longer serviceable...

rjtimmerman
06-26-2003, 02:43 PM
Orange County Speaker will repair/rebuild the networks. They will not touch the sub amp. This is what they told me.
I hope this helps?Regards, r.j.

4313B
06-26-2003, 08:10 PM
What I meant was I might not go to the expense of biasing (Charge Coupling) my L212 networks.
I don't really need OCS to rebuild them but thanks anyway :)

As for the B212 Energizer, I won't touch it anymore either.

GordonW
06-26-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Giskard
It does appear that JBL is discontinuing service for certain transducers such as the 066, 112A/112H, and 2108/2108H. This will affect the owners of the 4313, 4315, L166 and L212.

"I can not hear any sonic distortion-by having this seam."

An A/B would probably be required for most people to hear any difference. I'd have to take measurements myself before coming to any conclusions. It could be that the compliance shift caused by using non-stock foam, or gluing foam surrounds haphazardly, might still fall within the "acceptable" 20% "slop range".

In any case, a $250 transducer probably shouldn't look like a 2 year old child's art project.

FYI, I have, by very careful application and the use of lead strip weights to make the surround sit tight on the back of the cone while the glue dries, used the surrounds for 2214s to fix L166 woofers You have to be VERY careful, as the 2214 surrounds are made for a much "deeper" cone, and therefore you have to fight the foam a bit to get it to properly lay down on the cone... however, it CAN be done, and wind up both looking and sounding factory after it's over.

I've also used generic 12" surrounds, with a little carefully applied "stretch" to the inner radii, on those woofers as well. By my measurements, the majority of the suspension in those must be in the spider, as the resonance of the repaired woofers in both cases, was within a couple Hz of original, even before break-in. In fact, the generic surround resulted in a LOWER than stock resonance... which IMHO, may actually HELP in reducing boominess...

As for the 2108- I'm betting the surround for the early-model LE8 might work. If anyone can send me the cone outer diameter and basket land dimensions for a 2108, I'd be happy to check it against surrounds I have on hand...

And as for the 2105 rebuild- if you can get a kit for a LE5-6, it MAY be possible to find a flat-wire voice coil of appropriate size, in the generic parts market. IME, the only real functional difference between an LE5-6 and a 2105, is the voice coil... they have the same exact cone and dust cap... so in the worst case, just recone it as a LE5-6 and adjust the L-pad a bit to compensate for the slight potential for small sensitivity changes...

Regards,
Gordon.
who has to deal with these kind of obsolete speaker parts fit issues every day... and usually makes things work...