PDA

View Full Version : effeciency of S8R olympus/soveriegn

aaronz28
02-04-2014, 07:53 AM
anyone know what these would compare to in today's numbers?

the spec sheet i read says 1w-82db -
i have another pair of speakers at home whose sensitivity is rated 96db -

with the same 7w triode integrated amp - the JBL are worlds louder at the same setting on the dial...

I thought that rated sensitivity meant volume level at 1w.
if that is the case - then the cut sheet on the JBL is grossly wrong

trying to figure this out - anyone??
Thanks

Aaorn

Mr. Widget
02-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Historically JBL has used their own measuring systems and standards... the 82 dB is taken at 15' not 1m. The equivalent measure from JBL is 94dB at 1m.

Widget

grumpy
02-04-2014, 09:47 AM
i have another pair of speakers at home whose sensitivity is rated 96db -

at what frequency? or averaged over what range?

if one system has an extended low end, it may well be 10dB (2x louder) more sensitive in that range and therefore sound louder overall. Single number sensitivity is useful when shopping and matching equipment, but as not all mfgs measure/interpret it the same way, it's more of a guideline (like when a system is claimed to be "8 ohms".

Fort Knox
02-18-2014, 11:11 AM
Historically JBL has used their own measuring systems and standards... the 82 dB is taken at 15' not 1m. The equivalent measure from JBL is 94dB at 1m.

Widget

Is that w/the L-pad closed and/or does the x-over have built-in stuff

to calm down that big 375

Mr. Widget
02-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Is that w/the L-pad closed and/or does the x-over have built-in stuff

to calm down that big 375Yes, it is the system's sensitivity when the network is set correctly to balance with the woofer. There is no L-pad on the 375, it has a three position switch. The 375 has a sensitivity of about 108dB at a meter when mounted on most JBL vintage horns.

Deniz

Fort Knox
02-20-2014, 06:59 AM
Yes, it is the system's sensitivity when the network is set correctly to balance with the woofer. There is no L-pad on the 375, it has a three position switch. The 375 has a sensitivity of about 108dB at a meter when mounted on most JBL vintage horns.

Deniz

I'm assuming that's wide open ....108/w no x-over..right ...so .what's the complaint..(if the sys is balanced)