PDA

View Full Version : Great Plains Audio 902-8As

kawasakitech
02-01-2014, 11:45 PM
Anybody have any experience with Great Plains Audios 902-8A compression drivers?
There are some on E Bay for $202 each and my 808-8As need rebuilding that will probably cost more.
Thanks

Bloys

audiomagnate
02-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Anybody have any experience with Great Plains Audios 902-8A compression drivers?
There are some on E Bay for $202 each and my 808-8As need rebuilding that will probably cost more.
Thanks

Bloys

All I know about Great Plains is that they can't be bothered with returning phone calls or emails.

hjames
02-02-2014, 01:34 PM
All I know about Great Plains is that they can't be bothered with returning phone calls or emails.

Doesn't speak to the quality of their products AT ALL, now does it?

more10
02-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Small "Voice of the Theater" Driver Chart (http://www.wmeckle.com/INTRO/SMALL/Altec.htm)

808A Series
1969-1977
8, 16 Ohms
30 Watts
Same as above**
Symbiotic diaphragm model with 802D magnet structure. Electrically durable, but also has less transient response than 802. later 808s followed magnet development of 802.

Any other Altec or GPA is probabaly an upgrade

NickH
02-02-2014, 05:33 PM
The quality of there products is first rate. I believe they do a lot of there business on ebay. I bet the bad economy has been tough on them like everyone else.

But it is annoying when you try to get someone on the phone.

I don't own these drivers though. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy them. 200 buck is there price new. 250 for the classic series alnico drivers.

kawasakitech
02-03-2014, 03:58 PM
Thank you for the replies
Ordered the 902s off E Bay
Got an Email reply with invoice right away.:)
Phoned to confirm the shipping and got Bill on the line 1st thing Mon morning
Service seems to be excellent:D
Hope to have my drivers soon
I will let you know how they sound

Bloys

audiomagnate
02-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Thank you for the replies
Ordered the 902s off E Bay
Got an Email reply with invoice right away.:)
Phoned to confirm the shipping and got Bill on the line 1st thing Mon morning
Service seems to be excellent:D
Hope to have my drivers soon
I will let you know how they sound

Bloys

OK, so post sales customer service is excellent, and pre sales customer is non-existent. Interesting business model.

more10
02-06-2014, 07:46 AM
Maybe they are just trying to suvive. Prices are really low I believe.

Doc Mark
02-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Greetings, All,

I'm just thankful that GPA is in business, and doing a great job of making drivers that we all can use!! If I was in need of woofers, or compression drivers, I would not hesitate to do business with GPA! I've heard much good about them, and I also believe that such small businesses need to be given a bit of slack, if they don't answer the phone, or respond to emails right away. As I say, I'm just glad they are THERE, and that their products are very nicely done! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

kawasakitech
02-23-2014, 06:23 PM
They sound absolutely awesome.:D
Very pleased
Will restore my 808s as well and try them with the same diaphragms

B

Horn Fanatic
03-15-2014, 06:33 PM

Bill Hanuschak is understaffed at this time. Simply put, he's busier than a one legged man at a, well, you know the rest! He either takes Mondays off, or just doesn't pick up the phone in order to get work done. I'm guessing the latter. He has no sales staff or distribution network. As he does not advertise save for Ebay sales, his products are known mostly by reputation and word-of-mouth. As for not answering Emails, I have no answer.

Bill's sales base is not walk in by the general public like some Hi-Fi shop, it's folks like us in the audio community. Nothing would give me more pleasure than to buy 902's and 604's from him all day long, but unless I get shot in the back side with gold dust I continue to keep up the fight like Bill, and everyone else in the audio manufacturing community. Although I have never met Bill face to face, we have had business dealings for several years, and his integrity and honesty is beyond question. He's a good man. Give him a break, we're all in this together.

H.F.