PDA

View Full Version : kicking dead horse? what can you do to improve the old Olympus/Soveriegn w/ C60 guts

aaronz28
01-30-2014, 07:15 PM
So i have the full setup from 1968 I believe - a pair of c60 sovereigns, with all the good stuff - all original too -
and the c68 center console. I know that world class speakers can be had by using those components, or something very similar in a redesign - but i really want to try to make the best out of those old low profile furniture pieces.

I'm planning to use a McIntosh C22 preamp which i just rescued - and I have a mc240 -
this current setup is quite nice - but i've heard of bi or tri amping, i've also heard that shitcanning the 075 tweeters and going with the prism tweeter is a major improvement -

i wouldn't be opposed to a top mounted horn - if i could do it in a way that wold look attractive- and i'd even consider moding the box some to accommodate something more usable than the potato masher.

I see to remember asking these questions - but i've not been to this forum in a while and can't really find my notes - i do remember speaking with Bruce Edgar about one of his salad bowl horns, but we never went any further.

any thoughts? help? suggestions?

Thanks

Aaron

more10
01-31-2014, 02:19 AM
They are worth too much as they are. Check out prices on ebay. Sell them and buy/build something better.

fpitas
01-31-2014, 05:45 AM
What more10 said.

If you like the looks of the cabinets in particular, there are woodworking guys who can make you custom cabinets for your choice of drivers, horns etc.

aaronz28
01-31-2014, 05:50 AM
they are family heirloom - they'll be with me for ever - no one else in the family knows what is inside of them LOL -
so they can't be sold, although i could easily sell the components and use other guts - although i'm not sure that would be any benefit - other than adding a mid/bass and replacing the 075 with 077

Cheers

Aaron

more10
01-31-2014, 05:59 AM
Well if they are heirloom you cannot alter them. :-).

aaronz28
01-31-2014, 06:07 AM
sure I can :D

Mr. Widget
01-31-2014, 10:04 PM
I know that world class speakers can be had by using those components, or something very similar in a redesign - but i really want to try to make the best out of those old low profile furniture pieces.

I'm planning to use a McIntosh C22 preamp which i just rescued - and I have a mc240 -
I'd suggest the S8 or S8R system paired with the C22 and MC240 is a perfect vintage system and well paired... but in no way "World Class" or capable of it. Don't get me wrong, these pieces are all very cool, and I wouldn't mind having them again myself. As you can see from my avatar, I have an affinity for this vintage JBL.

Unfortunately at the prices they go for these days, I couldn't and can't justify keeping them. Now, when you add in the family heirloom factor that does tilt the equation.

I'd keep it all stock if I were to keep it.

Widget

aaronz28
02-01-2014, 05:00 AM
Widget -
yes I have the S8R - once upon a time - i had it setup with a C26 preamp - into a DJ crossover (Pyramid) into a Soundcraftsman 200x2 for the LE15s and then my old MC2502 (50w a side) for the 375 and the 075 - and it was quite the setup - lacked a bit of warmth, but it really did sound good.

iv'e since sold all that pre./amp and now have all tube stuff including the C22, MC240 - also have a MA230 which is running them right now.

I guess - i'm thinking i'll use the C22 back into either another elec crossover - or just bi-amp them using the MC240 on the mid/treb, and something a little stouter on the LE15

i'm not sure I trust the stock crossover - even though i did recap them a few years back - i always though the passive crossover was the best sound i ever had out of them - even with the not-so-great power amp.

is the 075 to 077 tweeter swap worth the time/$?

Thanks
Aaron

Mr. Widget
02-01-2014, 09:38 AM
Is the goal "World Class" or just having fun messing about? My point above was that you can enjoy these old Macs and JBLs with all of their inherent limitations as a window into an era... of course you can also swap out drivers horns and electronics for the fun of exploring and enjoying tweaking this and that. Will it ever be "better"? I'd suggest it can be a lot of fun and can be satisfying, but better?

If on the other hand, the goal is to attempt to aproach "World Class"... I'd keep the 375s and sell everything else including the cabinets and Macs, but that is a bit drastic.

So, to answer your question about the 077? Since I've gotten my messing about ya yas out, I'd keep the 075s.

Widget

subwoof
02-01-2014, 11:15 AM
I am refinishing a pair this summer that had the ugly green "stain" over the nice oak that I bought empty some years ago.

My plan is to install the rebuilt 801C coax and 2234 from the UREI 813 system that are in boxes and make a CC version of the stock crossover ( I do have the original).

And in the shop is a big old urei 6500 with the BNC compensation terminals so I can do the upgrade studio monitor in an vintage cabinet without messing up the baffle. World class?? well a little too short for real monitor use BUT they look nice in long rooms.

sub

aaronz28
02-02-2014, 07:28 PM
I am refinishing a pair this summer that had the ugly green "stain" over the nice oak that I bought empty some years ago.

My plan is to install the rebuilt 801C coax and 2234 from the UREI 813 system that are in boxes and make a CC version of the stock crossover ( I do have the original).

And in the shop is a big old urei 6500 with the BNC compensation terminals so I can do the upgrade studio monitor in an vintage cabinet without messing up the baffle. World class?? well a little too short for real monitor use BUT they look nice in long rooms.

sub

this is all greek to me :D - pix?

aaronz28
02-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Is the goal "World Class" or just having fun messing about? My point above was that you can enjoy these old Macs and JBLs with all of their inherent limitations as a window into an era... of course you can also swap out drivers horns and electronics for the fun of exploring and enjoying tweaking this and that. Will it ever be "better"? I'd suggest it can be a lot of fun and can be satisfying, but better?

If on the other hand, the goal is to attempt to aproach "World Class"... I'd keep the 375s and sell everything else including the cabinets and Macs, but that is a bit drastic.

So, to answer your question about the 077? Since I've gotten my messing about ya yas out, I'd keep the 075s.

Widget

well - messing about is what i do - i would love world class, but i don't think i have the space or desire to spend money on interconnects in order to get to world class :D

i am all for modding the crossover, or bi/tri amping, i would consider mods that do not totally obliterate the package - for instance, trying to add a mid driver if possible, or swapping the potato masher or tweeter - but if all i'm going to do is throw a bunch of money away - than i'll keep them, as is. active bi=amping did make a world of difference the first time around...

i'm also considering elevating some... that might help as the horn being so close to the ground can not be good.

Fort Knox
02-14-2014, 02:43 PM
well - messing about is what i do - i would love world class, but i don't think i have the space or desire to spend money on interconnects in order to get to world class :D

i am all for modding the crossover, or bi/tri amping, i would consider mods that do not totally obliterate the package - for instance, trying to add a mid driver if possible, or swapping the potato masher or tweeter - but if all i'm going to do is throw a bunch of money away - than i'll keep them, as is. active bi=amping did make a world of difference the first time around...

i'm also considering elevating some... that might help as the horn being so close to the ground can not be good.

Why don't you try equalizing what you have...
I EQ'd some ..harsh sp. and they came out ..sounding quite good

tomt
02-15-2014, 11:23 PM
Sell them and buy/build something better.

What more10 said.

those drivers are capable of much better performance

than what most people get.

mostly the electronics are the limitation,

with these components.