PDA

View Full Version : Pushed in domes on a 4313B tweets and mids

Weeblewobblez
01-27-2014, 12:08 AM
I have pushed in domes on the 066 tweeters and LE5-9 mids on my 4313b's. For the 066's I was thinking about taking them apart and un-soldering one end and physically popping the dome back out. Has any one ever tried this? Is this not recommended? For the mids I understand this acts more like a dust cover and was thinking about pulling the cap off and either replacing or repairing them by again pushing the dome back into shape. Both mids and highs work and sound great but it bugs me to see them in that condition. What is usually the route of repair on something like this? Thanks in advance.

martin2395
01-27-2014, 02:32 AM
You can try a piece of tape or a vacuum cleaner(gentle!) to pull out the domes on the LE5-9's. I wouldn't recommend it on the tweeters though, your idea about it sounds good to me, I dismantled and fixed some metal dome tweeters that way.

The Le5-9's dustcaps are aluminium, right? If so then you will still be able to see that they have been pushed in. The best way is to remove them and buy new dustcaps, it only needs a steady hand a lot of patience ;)

Weeblewobblez
01-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the advice. Would changing the aluminum dome on the mids change the sound? the domes on the tweeters are some type of silver cloth. could i still try the vacuum trick on them?

DavidF
01-28-2014, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the advice. Would changing the aluminum dome on the mids change the sound? the domes on the tweeters are some type of silver cloth. could i still try the vacuum trick on them?

The mid domes are a sliver of aluminum no longer stocked by JBL. They will provide a similar sized treated-paper dome used in a more recent version of the mid. I haven't tried to order directly from JBL parts for a while so I am not sure if they are obtainable directly from JBL. Try a local JBL certified service shop (see JBL support site). It is likely that the domes will alter the response but chances are good that you won't be able to tell the difference.

The domes on the tweeters are treated cloth coated with aluminum that was vaporized and deposited on the dome. Replacement domes are no longer sold by JBL. Bad news but the original component dates back to the mid seventies. You may be able to work the dome back into shape but if not you may have to seek out replacement tweeters.