PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4716A (?) Crossover

martin2395
01-26-2014, 01:12 PM
I found a pair of old JBL's that appear to be 4716A's with 2416H and 2123H and having the older style XLR terminals with only "JBL" logo painted on the back.
I parted them out for cleaning and have no clue how to connect the units anymore... The wire colours mentioned in the datasheet are different :blink:

The leads are: White / White+Green for the 2123H and White/Brown for the 2416H

Thanks in advance!

By the way - are those any good for hi-fi use? I wanted to use them as rear speakers but my parents disagreed :D (I already surprised them by buying 4343's when they were on holiday)

martin2395
01-26-2014, 02:37 PM
Pics

subwoof
01-27-2014, 02:09 PM
generally the solid color is connected to the (red) terminal on the cone or driver. The concert / Custom Shop series ( this is a derivative model sold overseas ) uses thicker wires with different color schemes than any of the other consumer or pro.

fun huh? btw - killer rear speaks but as you know, no bass.

*skol*

martin2395
01-27-2014, 02:59 PM
I wonder what these are then, I bought them locally here in the Netherlands but knew nothing about 'em before. Could these be a part of the Custom/Concert series?
Hooked up to a Crown K2, they certainly have crazy kickbass and overall dynamics but they won't get any lower than 60-70Hz i guess.

I've done some search and found out that the 4716's were supplied with SpeakON connectors, mine have Neutrik XLR's which is quite uncommon.

I also want to add a pair of normal binding posts but I can't find any solution how to do it since the whole back plate has the network PCB directly behind it :dont-know:
The only XLR-banana speaker cables I could find here are 1.5m long which is way too short and soldering plain speaker wire to XLR connectors is too difficult for me.

At first when I brought them home they were very dirty (cigarette smoke) probably because they were installed in a disco or a pub.
Gave the 2123H's good cleaning, dismantled and cleaned the 2416H too and the units are actually in near mint condition!

The only thing left to do about the cosmetics would be repainting the cabinets as they became olive green over the years but on the other hand - I will lose the JBL logo on both sides which possibly could affect the value.