PDA

View Full Version : Surround replacement

Donald
01-23-2014, 08:44 AM
I have a 2245H that needs a new surround. It was mounted in a homemade (not by me) cabinet. I have not used it for years. Fired it up this week and it appears a turn on thump actually ripped the surround apart. I am willing to try the repair myself. When I bought the cabinet and driver I also got an extra OCS surround kit with it.

My question is should I buy a new kit? The one I have is from 2005. Is it too old already? I see Rick Cobb sells a kit with a CD.

svollmer
01-23-2014, 10:39 AM
I don't know if the OCS surround is still good (depends on storage conditions, smoke exposure, UV, ozone, etc.), but if it were me, I'd just get one if Rick's new kits for that baby. It would give me the piece of mind knowing that it will last at least another decade. I also always also put a piece of blue painters tape on the back of my woofers when I resurround them and use a Sharpie to put the date of the install on it. Don't know if I'll ever need it, but it's nice to "catalog" the work.

And don't be afraid of doing a 2245 because it' big. I find the bigger woofers are easier to repair.

Go for it! :-)

Mr. Widget
01-24-2014, 12:27 AM
I would spring for a new one since the cost of foam is low and I value my time... the point is the foam lasts 10-15 years, so a big chunk of that time has already passed.:(

Widget

Donald
01-24-2014, 05:22 AM
Ordered a kit from Mr. Cobb yesterday.

BMWCCA
01-24-2014, 08:31 PM
How old do you suppose kits from anyone are by the time we get them? No date stamps that I know of.

Wouldn't it be nice if modern technology had been able to extend the life of these new surrounds? :dont-know:

Donald
02-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Well, should have checked better. The spider is ripped across the radius.

I am going to get rid of the cabinet and replace it with a B380 I have. Which means I will have a 2245H with no home. Is it worth re-coning? A JBL cone, if available, will cost more than what the whole speaker sells for on ebay. A 3rd party kit is priced better but I don't know the quality. I have no idea what a basket only is worth.

What to do? :banghead:

Lee in Montreal
02-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Hi Don. Baskets sell for around $50.00 and you can get an aftermarket recone kit for $80.00 from Mckenzie. Not a big risk. http://reconekits.com/jbl2245h8ohmreconekit.aspx while an OEM recone kit is probably still around $250.00 even though they are made in a mexican maquiladora ;-)

Donald
03-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Starting recone process.

1. What do I do about replacing the foam filter?
2. There appears to be 3 screws missing holding the basket to the magnet. Important?
3. The cone photo is the back of the old cone.

Donald
03-15-2014, 05:38 PM
OK, how do remove the old glue? I assume I need to get to bare aluminum. I would prefer not to use mechanical methods. I have tried alcohol and 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover (great stuff) to no avail.

hjames
03-15-2014, 05:48 PM
When I have to clean the aluminum frame of old glue and disintegrating surround,
I do it OUTSIDE - plenty of fresh air, and use MEK (Home Despot).
Its toxic but a GREAT solvent for all of that gunk!

OK, how do remove the old glue? I assume I need to get to bare aluminum. I would prefer not to use mechanical methods. I have tried alcohol and 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover (great stuff) to no avail.

WDJ
03-15-2014, 05:57 PM
I use MEK (weather permitting and I'm outside) or 91% isopropyl alcohol if indoors to soften the "goo" and then scrape using icing spatulas.
I got them at Wal-Mart in the kitchen dept. - they are used for spreading icing on cakes. I ground mine down somewhat to fit different radii.

enjoy,
Wayne

Donald
03-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Will get some MEK immediately!

WDJ
03-15-2014, 09:34 PM
I meant to add that I've never had one get "clean enough" without some scraping - ymmv....

Donald
03-18-2014, 05:53 PM
Well, MEK may technically be legal in California but I can't find any. Found an 'official' substitute. Also bought a can of acetone at the same time. The substitute does nothing. In doing some reading I see acetone is chemically close to MEK. Tried it and it works. Also melts my plastic scrapper. :)

Will order some MEK from Amazon just to have it.

When I have to clean the aluminum frame of old glue and disintegrating surround,
I do it OUTSIDE - plenty of fresh air, and use MEK (Home Despot).
Its toxic but a GREAT solvent for all of that gunk!