PDA

View Full Version : Le14-h1

lpd
01-13-2014, 04:00 PM
Anyone know where to source the LE14 H1 driver used in the L250 TI? My friend has one that has voice coil rub in a driver and I called JBL Canada and was told the driver is discontinued. Even a recone would be ok if I could find a reputable resource. Any leads?

HCSGuy
01-13-2014, 08:25 PM
Find a JBL authorized reconer in your area and have them check with JBL - that speaker was such a staple that I'm sure reconing kits are still being made in Mexico. One of the reconers on the forum will probably chime in with better info than I have. I'm guessing it will probably be around $200 for the kit and labor. If you really get stuck, I have a few that are mint, except for the idiots at OCC in L.A. gluing the foam on the front of the cone, so they don't look right:(

Good luck!

rdgrimes
01-13-2014, 09:15 PM
An LE14H-3 can also be swapped in, but will cost even more than a recone.

lpd
01-13-2014, 11:24 PM
I phoned JBL in Canada and they couldn't find any replacement driver. Unless I phoned the wrong number but he said drivers were on back order unavailable.

HCSGuy
01-14-2014, 12:36 AM
You're not looking for a whole driver; just the recone kit. Look for a JBL Pro servicer, not consumer.

JuniorJBL
01-14-2014, 07:28 AM
Don't think you will find a recone kit unless someone still has a kit in stock from yesteryear. C8RLE14H-1 is NLA. LE14H-3's are kind of hard to come by as well.

Earl K
01-14-2014, 07:56 AM
Anyone know where to source the LE14 H1 driver used in the L250 TI? My friend has one that has voice coil rub in a driver and I called JBL Canada and was told the driver is discontinued. Even a recone would be ok if I could find a reputable resource. Any leads?

- Your friend could contact Vancouver Audio-Speaker Clinic (http://vancouveraudiospeakerclinic.com) and ask them if they are able ( & willing ) to rebuild the LE14H-1 woofer . What with the lack of OEM parts from JBL this is going to be ( more & more ) the only way to save these transducers . I would expect to pay the same as what a full recone costs these days ( $ 200 - $300.00 )

- ( To me ) this ( rebuild ) means , using the existing cone & coil ( if the coil hasn't been damaged by the "rub" ) and installing a new spider as well as a new surround ( plus dustcap , assuming it gets "cut" out at disassembley ) .

:)

rdgrimes
01-14-2014, 08:10 AM

Another thought: has he ever had new surrounds installed on those? If not that would be worth a try.

Earl K
01-14-2014, 10:21 AM
Another thought: has he ever had new surrounds installed on those? If not that would be worth a try.

Good Point !

It certainly wouldn't hurt ( at this point in the game ) to have a pair of new surrounds installed ( do both ) .

[email protected] ( Rick Cobb ) is a favourite amongst the diy crowd .

http://www.ebay.com/usr/looneytune2001 is Rick's ebay moniker .

SEAWOLF97
01-14-2014, 10:35 AM
- Your friend could contact Vancouver Audio-Speaker Clinic (http://vancouveraudiospeakerclinic.com) and ask them if they are able ( & willing ) to rebuild the LE14H-1 woofer .

they did the refoam of the LE14-H1's in my first 250ti's according to prior owner ..no problems

Good Point !

It certainly wouldn't hurt ( at this point in the game ) to have a pair of new surrounds installed ( for both ) .

[email protected] ( Rick Cobb ) is a favourite amongst the diy crowd .

http://www.ebay.com/usr/looneytune2001 is Rick's ebay moniker .

yes, Rick is a pro at what he does , BUT that driver is not a good one to learn on ..
I had finished close to a hundred standard drivers before having to refoam my second pair of 250's.
They were a different experience than all that had gone before ...:blink:

I'm also think that if the foam is failing more on one side than the other side , VC rubbing can occur since the cone is not supported uniformly.

When I did the refoam, the driver centered itself very well. FOR ME TO TEST , I'd strip all the old foam , lay the driver facing straight up and see if rubbing goes away.

rdgrimes
01-14-2014, 12:16 PM
I found the LE14H to be one of the easiest re-foam I've done.
But being they are mounted at a slope, some folks like to rotate them once in a while to cut down on sagging. Might also be worth the time to rotate these 180' and see if the rubbing stops.

audiomagnate
01-29-2014, 09:17 AM
I found the LE14H to be one of the easiest re-foam I've done.
But being they are mounted at a slope, some folks like to rotate them once in a while to cut down on sagging. Might also be worth the time to rotate these 180' and see if the rubbing stops.

I hear that advice a lot on the internet, and in forty or so years of working on speakers it has never worked for me, not even once. Can't hurt to try. It must have worked for someone in the past I suppose.