PDA

View Full Version : Internal cabling in old JBL's

martin2395
01-10-2014, 07:41 AM
Anybody knows what kind of wire JBL used in old systems like the L100 or 4343?
I tried to solder new speaker connectors for my L100's and realized that the wires actually won't solder at all!
Also when you try to flex it a little the wires will just crack and break off - they are not flexible at all :confused:

The inside of the wire is made of copper but they are plated with something, is it silver?

frank23
01-12-2014, 01:35 PM
I'd say that it the wire cracks when bending it, it is better replaced with something that lasts. I don't think old JBL wiring was anything special. Back in the 60's and 70's they did not have a clue (yet) about differences in cable and quality. I find it fascinating that old JBL crossovers only have room for very tiny cables, even those to the bass drivers. Yet nowadays people say that even the torque you apply fastening the drivers can influence the sound on some current hungry speakers.

grumpy
01-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Once a wire is "tinned" with solder, that portion is easily work-hardened to the point of failing/cracking
after just a few bends. I expect you could cut off the broken section and strip a new segment of insulation
off to reuse the wire (if desired).

Make sure you are using solder with flux (not plumbing/acid-core type) to help with oxidation
of the wire surface. If using lead-free solder, you may have to adjust your temp/technique.

martin2395
01-13-2014, 09:51 AM
No, I don't use that plumbing rubbish anymore because it eats through the wires.

I've heard from someone not to touch those stock wires because they are the best sounding, funny.