PDA

View Full Version : question guys and ladies

dino
01-07-2014, 08:27 AM
Been thinking of changing my potato masher for a waveguide horn and I would like to keep my JBL 075 but if it's possible to change out the aluminum radiator I guess that is the name of it any way mount the 075 tweeter on two a waveguide horn. I believe JBL engineer's are the best at what they do so the only thing I could do to upgrade is better dispersion. Has any one attempt this yet. Thanks

Maron Horonzakz
01-07-2014, 08:59 AM
The 075 ring radiater is a horn ..If you would cut the 075 in half you would see the shape of the horn......Maybe your thinking of the 175

dino
01-07-2014, 09:44 AM
The 075 ring radiater is a horn ..If you would cut the 075 in half you would see the shape of the horn......Maybe your thinking of the 175

Thanks but if the 075 was blown wouldn't you have to unscrew the ring radiater away from the driver to replace the diaphragm . so JBL hf compression tweeters 2405/2404/2402 and the cat eye tweeter horn// radiated can't be change out

fpitas
01-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Whatever the faults of the potato masher, I'd hesitate to destroy a classic JBL speaker by substituting a waveguide for the potato masher. If nothing else, I doubt the crossover will work flawlessly with the new arrangement. Wouldn't it make more sense to build or buy some DIY cabinets and install your new components in those? If that works out you can always sell the JBLs.

dino
01-07-2014, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=fpitas;357334]Whatever the faults of the potato masher, I'd hesitate to destroy a classic JBL speaker by substituting a waveguide for the potato masher. If nothing else, I doubt the crossover will work flawlessly with the new arrangement. Wouldn't it make more sense to build or buy some DIY cabinets and install your new components in those? If that works out you can always sell the JBLs.[/QUOTE Thanks for your response but I am not going to destroy my classic JBL 4345 period. I was just ASKING for suggestions to see if any one had every tryed any thing like that. I happen to love the sound of my speakers . Im thinking of a new smaller project using a 2235h le75comp maybe beyma 150tpl if I couldn't exchange the horns on JBL tweets. Also I am not sure of all the drivers I just mentioned

fpitas
01-07-2014, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE=fpitas;357334]Whatever the faults of the potato masher, I'd hesitate to destroy a classic JBL speaker by substituting a waveguide for the potato masher. If nothing else, I doubt the crossover will work flawlessly with the new arrangement. Wouldn't it make more sense to build or buy some DIY cabinets and install your new components in those? If that works out you can always sell the JBLs.[/QUOTE Thanks for your response but I am not going to destroy my classic JBL 4345 period. I was just ASKING for suggestions to see if any one had every tryed any thing like that. I happen to love the sound of my speakers . Im thinking of a new smaller project using a 2235h le75comp maybe beyma 150tpl if I couldn't exchange the horns on JBL tweets. Also I am not sure of all the drivers I just mentioned

OK, good to know. If you Google search on 'Econowave' you will find almost countless projects using waveguides, some of which may use the drivers you're considering.